No rating

Fishburne Military School

Private | 7-12 | 136 students

Living in Waynesboro

Situated in a small town neighborhood. The median home value is $167,800. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $629.

Posted October 7, 2014

I went from low grades, to Fishburne, to my first choice college. FMS specializes in educating boys and turning them into men. There's a growing academic consensus that that young men were never supposed to be strapped into chairs for 9 hours a day, and that modern schooling neglects the special needs of energetic adolescent boys. FMS gets this. The daily schedule is packed with sports, drill & ceremony, and military extra-curricular activities like the Raiders program, drill team, and rifle team. Instead of telling cadets to "sit still, shut up, and take your medicine," FMS builds their talents. Teachers are first rate. Many professors are veterans of the US military. FMS is also backed by a very strong cadre of Noncommissioned Officers who guide and mentor their cadets. Fishburne was one of the few schools to survive a rash of closures during the Vietnam War, including the nearby Stanton Military Academy and Augusta Military Academy. That's testament to both the commitment of its alumni and the strength of the institution. With the economic downturn, many Virginia boarding schools are struggling. Fishburne is at capacity. There's a good reason for that. 5/5, recommend.

Posted October 7, 2014

Fishburne is academically excellent. The faculty and staff are genuinely caring and strive to foster achievement in the young men entrusted to their care. The history of the institution speaks for itself. Sending a young man to Fishburne is an excellent investment in his future.

Posted October 7, 2014

As a young man I was a classic underachiever and misguided teen. I decided I wanted to attend a military school. After looking at numerous other institutions, I decided FMS was the best fit. What was that impression which harkened me to FMS; the fact the cadet corps was so close, and the school was small. With a student teacher ratio of around 8:1, I was given individualized attention which I could not have gotten elsewhere. The professors ALL made sure you as an individual were taken care of. Before FMS I was a C/D student. After FMS, my grades rose into the high B/A. I can only attribute this to the individualized care I was afforded while at FMS. The school taught me self confidence, character and good moral understanding of what it means to be a citizen. As with all teenage boys, I was a malcontent, but learned discipline and responsibility during my time at FMS. I was given a sense of pride and honor, which I carry with me to this day. If I had not gone to FMS, I doubt my academic career would have gone very far. With 100% college acceptance, I went to The Citadel in 1989. With acceptance rates like that, the system works!

Posted October 7, 2014

Without Fishburne, I would not have graduated from high school on time, if at all. I went on to the college I wanted to attend going in to Fishburne. My Fishburne education and alumni friends have continued to help me since graduation. A fellow alum wrote me a recommendation directly to the dean of a law school who happened to be a friend of his. I was accepted and attended that law school. In sum, stellar whole man education and lifelong friendships.

Posted October 7, 2014

My experience at Fishburne Military School was exceptional. For the first time in my life, a true sense of purpose, matched by a keen sense of character, discipline, achievement and success, were bestowed before me. FMS remains from age old a Mecca for education and outstanding achievements. I am forever grateful to the hours of individual attention and dedication, which were given to me. One of my biggest wish would be to see others of future generations acquire a similar and successful experience as mine. I stand today filled with esteemed gratitude to a school, which came into my life to make me be today, one of the best members of society. Thank you FMS, as you are my "Alma Mater" and an hymn for success stories to last forever.

Posted April 1, 2014

Love that I can go on and see the grades in different subjects. I think every school should have that.

Posted April 1, 2014

The staff is very easy to contact and where extremely helpful during the admission process. Being able to check a student s grades immediately instead of waiting months for a progress report actually makes you feel like you have a grip on what s going on. My only issue so far is that I wish it was closer to different things. I think they should get a van to be able to pick up people so they could visit easier or pick up the children on breaks.

Posted March 25, 2014

The school is disgusting in every sense. They make us clean only when people come to visit the school

Posted February 4, 2014

As a current Cadet I think I'd have the most insight to give to parents. Academically this school is a waste of money. I had a 3.8 in public school and I came to fishburne under the assumption that it would be an elite prep school, however it is quite the opposite. They lower the standards to the point where anyone could get an A (without putting much effort in). In fact most of my school day is spent browsing the internet because I either completed the work within 10 minutes of class or I can tune them out and still get an A with ease. Although pretty much all fms grads get into a 4 year college they are not ready for the course load so if your sending your son here it shouldn't be for academics. With that said the school gives a chance to kids who would have otherwise dropped out of high school. If I were parent I would consider sending my kid to a school like fork union over FM's.

Posted December 4, 2013

Great experience for the 3 years I attended. The military component helped instill discipline and structure. Small classes were conducive to learning and collaboration. I will absolutely send my kids to FMS when they are of age.

Posted July 15, 2013

Every year my all girls cotillion has a debutante ball and cadets from a military school are invited. Traditionally, they were from VMI, but this year they were from Fishburne. It was the first time they had ever done something like that and they did outstanding. Their manners and charm was flawless. You would never think that these boys were in high school; they behaved more mature than most college graduates. They were a little shy, but again it was their first time doing something like that, and as soon as conversation was initiated they came off very confident, poised, and charming. I was astonished by the wide variety of places these young men came from- one was from Boston. I have never met anyone under the age of 30 with as much maturity and charm as any individual from their school present. If you live in Virginia and are interested in the aforementioned cotillion, it is Old Dominion Cotillion.

Posted December 6, 2012

Without a doubt one of the best institutions in America! I have seen first hand how well this school handles day to day operations and how well Cadets do after graduation. An Ivy League high school education to be sure!

Posted January 20, 2012

I sent my son here for summer session 2011 and I am disappointed. His behavior and confidence improved. However, I sent him here to take Algebra 1 and he received an A. He took Algebra 1 again this school year after receiving an A at Fishburne and he received a D his first semester and still has a D in his second. Math has always been right or wrong... how do you get an A in the summer to get ahead and repeat the class in high school and receive a D. Plus, he really did not improve in his daily organization.. I feel I wasted $4000

Posted August 14, 2011

I was hopeful that Fishburne would provide my son a structured environment that would encourage him to achieve. Unfortunately, they fell short of my expectations. Some of the teachers communicate well, other do not and think nothing of giving out a poor grade without so much as an email or updating their progress online. They do a poor job of motivating an unmotivated child. During the admissions process and online they promise they can do wonders with helping students turn their grades around. In my experience they fell short of meeting that goal. It is a great school for some, but if your child is unmotivated save your time and the nearly $30,000 in tuition and look elsewhere. Also be aware of their strict "No Refunds Policy". They make you sign a contract that binds you to paying the tuition in full, regardless of your son's progress and if you withdraw him or they dismiss him (as they do several cadets each year) you still owe the money.

Posted March 10, 2011

As some one how use to work at Fishburne it was a good school but I do not be leave it today, At one time all employees were treated with respect and student were cared about but it all about the money. Parent should look behind the scenes, Make surprise visits to check on your kids, When you have only ( 2) People watching a 180 boys with all the other work they have to do, you are sitting on a time bome.

Posted June 19, 2009

Excellent Admissions department. Outstanding upgraded website using most advanced technology to expedite application process. Welcoming personnel in admissions that highlights the academy and the quality of educational, social and emotional growth for young men. Highly recommend contacting the Assistant Director of admissions to see for yourself how well he presents the school.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted October 19, 2007

Outstanding! My son is exceptionally bright, test scores to prove this, but never wanted to stand out in another private school. He attended the summer session and wanted to return, he could see what a great environment this was, teachers who care and would challenge him, just what he craved! The teachers, and all the staff (the commandant and up) are always willing to communicate with you. We received a call to tell us just how wonderful his grades were...I have never been called by the Assistant Superintendent to tell me anything until now. This school is worth every penny you spend, the boys mature right before your eyes and are proud of themselves, their school and they learn the skills they need to do well in school and in life.

Posted December 23, 2006

Not sure what the August 2006 reviewer is talking about. We've sent two sons to Fishburne and the school is first rate. Parental involvement is what you want it to be--with the kids in boarding school it is up to you to take the initiative. Their attitude towards drugs and tobacco is that it is against school policy and they enforce this. Academic achievement is their first priority--Fishburne turned my two sons who were failing in the public schools into National Honor Society scholars with numerous college offers and merit scholarships. Highly recommend Fishburne as a top drawer, traditional college prep school. The lessons they've taught my sons about discipline, honor, commitment and personal motivation will serve them well in the rest of their lives. My sons are far beyond any of their peers in maturity and it's due to Fishburne.

Posted October 20, 2006

Fishburne is an exceptional small school on all fronts. Turned an F student into an Honor Roll and Honor Society Student, Cadet Leader, and star athelete with multiple scholarship offers; instilled a core value system that has guided many young men to high stations in life. This school turns around lives and is worth every penny!
—Submitted by a former student

Posted August 26, 2006

Lack of communication, between school and parents. No effective drug prevention policy. Casual attitude toward the use of tobacco. Not enough emphasis placed on academic achievement. School is not what it represents itself being.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• ABS
  • AMCS

• Computer lab
  • Library

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

255 South Wayne Avenue