Woodbridge, VA

Fred M. Lynn Middle School 3

Posted February 21, 2015
I am a student in 7th grade and I personally think that Fred Lynn has an extremely bad reputation. The Teachers are set on making the students learn and are trying their best with what they have to work with. Most of the students are Hispanic and Black, but I don't mind. I honestly think that Fred Lynn is trying its best and they are doing well, considering everything.

Fred M. Lynn Middle School 5

Posted January 08, 2015
Yes I am a student. This school is okay. Except for the fact that teachers won't help you that much, and they move too fast with their learning targets. But I really like my school because the staff is working real hard to make our school have a better reputation. Last year, we got superior ratings at an Orchestra Assessment, got high scores on our Sols, AND we won championships for girls and boys jv basketball teams(which we haven't won since 1984). This school lets us go on a camping trip, and they have a new program called Hornet 21 which helps us learn more and they take us on educational field trips like the White House. I am an honor roll student and I am proud to be a Hornet.

Fred M. Lynn Middle School 4

Posted January 06, 2015
I am a parent who brought her child back to Fred Lynn Middle school for various reasons. First, the principal and vice principal are willing to work with parents and share the parents vision for their child. Second, the school administration is very professional and welcoming to both parents and students. Third, the schools teachers are dedicated, compassionate, and easy to communicate with concerning your child. Lastly, they don't wear uniforms anymore and my son could not wait to return to Fred Lynn to be with his friends!

Posted January 02, 2014
I hate the uniforms.We should be able to express our self by our clothes.Everytime I think we are in jail it seem as we are in jail with the uniforms.

Fred M. Lynn Middle School 4

Posted December 01, 2013
Fred Lynn Middle School has come a long way since I first started teaching there. We have had 4 different principals in the last 9 years and each one was very different. It was difficult as a teacher to understand the expectations and most teachers just tried to do their best for the students. We have a strong admin. team now who are making good choices for our school. The teachers are positive and want our students to be successful. We do need more community involvement from parents. I can teach lessons in school but if students are not doing their homework to practice, they will not learn as much. Every student should be reading every single night, many of our students are below grade level in reading which impacts every class they attend. Please understand, our students are coming to us with a below grade reading level from their elementary school, they do not magically forget how to read when they enter 6th grade. If there was more parent involvement during the younger school age years maybe there wouldn't be such a huge difference in how our children read compared to how children in Lake Ridge read and then students would be more capable of passing their assessments.

Posted November 21, 2013
I went to Fred Lynn for the entire 3 years and it was unbearable. The kids were mean, that's to be expected, but the staff, with very few exceptions. was uncompassionate, unprofessional, and neglectful. They showed no authority so the worst behaved of the kids ran the school. For a school that stresses a zero-tolerance policy they sure let a lot of stuff slip by. I ended up hiding and skipping school at least once a week because I dreaded every day there. As a result my grades fell dramatically and instead of investigating, instead of checking with my parents to make sure my home life was ok, instead of sending me to a school counselor to make sure I was coping socially, the truancy officer pulled me out of class and threatened to send me to a school for juvenile delinquents. I had never so much as gotten a call home in my entire school career so that sent me into a shock and then a deep depression. In my 2nd year of high school I was diagnosed with PTSD from my middle school years. I'm nearly done with college and I still get anxiety in some classroom settings. I'm going to Canada to finish my schooling and staying so that when I have children they will be far from awful school.

Fred M. Lynn Middle School 5

Posted September 11, 2013
Excellent idea that students have to wear uniforms. It helps discipline and it creates a nicer atmosphere iside the school. I've seen the way girls and boys get dressed to go to some schools and their attire good look nicer for a disco.

Posted September 09, 2013
Terrible, overcrowded school. We're one week in and they still don't have enough teachers for two of my children's classes. And from my experience, the teachers treat their jobs more casually than professionally...which is probably why student behavior is lacking and no one does anything about it (Dear Lynn administrators: uniforms don't help student behavior, good staff do!). Also, the school was accredited with warning throughout last year and I'm pretty sure they didn't meet the objectives, but the admin has been conveniently ho-hum about the situation. I'm going to let my 8th grader finish up, but I've been trying to transfer my 7th grader out in order to avoid this school for two more years. I'd rather travel a little further in order to give my child a decent education compared to the garbage this school has to offer.

Posted August 30, 2013
I'm a parent to child at this school my kid gets no help from the teachers because some say if the child doesn't care why should they. That doesn't make any sense you should make that work call the parents say your child isn't trying in class and have the parent come in after school and help and watch their kid. And these uniforms I wish they would get rid of this policy for two reasons number one i liked to spend money on nice clothes for my child not spend for all these uniform requirements and clothes they have to change into to go outside. Just let them go to school in regular clothes and come home and go outside in regular clothes. Number two I'm tired of hearing my child complain about putting on a polo shirt, blue pants, and having to tuck in their shirts and if they don't they get in trouble. Don't they know that some kids with weight problems, tucking in their shirts makes them look bigger then they already are and it's embarrassing and kids make fum of them and it lowers there self-esteem and they get upset. So that is what think of Fred M. Lynn Middle School.

Posted July 28, 2013
First, the uniforms are inconvenient and ugly. We buy uniforms, which are expensive and a waste of money. I have nice clothes at home that I can't wear because we have to wear the uniforms. Second, the kids are rude and aggressive. They push each other in the hallways and call each other terrible names. No one wants to pay attention in class because the teachers don't seem to care or give much effort. Most of the kids don't know English and can't write well. And, there is a strong division between those who speak English and those who don't. I get made fun of a lot because I am shy. Third, I failed my SOL's this year because I did not get extra help. I have trouble with math and no one wanted or was able to help. No one wanted to spend time with me. I rarely got homework to take home for math either. I worry that I won't be able to pass to the next grade - especially when I leave here. Lastly, the school boundaries are very strange. I have to walk over a half a mile to school in the morning through a wooded area and across the back of the school yard. It is scary because of all the crime around here and I got really wet and cold last year because of the bad weather.

Fred M. Lynn Middle School
1650 Prince William Parkway, Woodbridge, VA  22191
Last modified Fred M. Lynn Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Fred M. Lynn Middle School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 45 reviews. Top