Woodbridge, VA
Students enrolled: 2,547

Gar-Field High School 4

Posted July 22, 2014
This school is an interesting mix of culture, dynamics, and people. It is easy to talk down GFHS because of the swirling rumors of teenage pregnancy, ghetto and immature students, and the list goes on and on. In every high school there are good students and bad students and Garfield is no different. The IB program is one of the best in the world and the staff at GFHS provide the best enviroment for the program to succeed. Students come from a plethora of different backgrounds, experiences, and struggles but they unite in a cultural mixing pot of school. I have never felt in danger for my life or others because GFHS is a safe school. The majority of people are well behaved and civilized. It is only when the small percent messes up that the whole school is implicated badly. I wish it wasn't the case but students are adamant about remaininy themselves and the community chooses to remain ignorant and opinionated. It is not perfect but it is sure worth it. I would recommend anyone to try the IB program at Garfield and you will be amazed by the growth and oppurtunities you receive. You choose your own destiny and success, so instead of asking yourself "Should I?" Ask "Can I and will I?

Posted March 27, 2013
The IB Program at this school definitely contained the rigor and quality of education necessary to prepare me for college. Although I will be going to college to study engineering, the interwoven material learned in each IB class taught me valuable communication skills when speaking and writing. My teachers were all incredibly passionate about their job, went out of their way to help students, and genuinely showed concern for the education of each and every student. The administration consistently keeps the students' interests at heart and regulates the great environment. I can confidently say that I felt safe at school everyday. When I walked in the doors, it was evident I was receiving a quality education. I highly recommend Gar-Field HS and its International Baccalaureate Program to anyone who desires a well-rounded high school education.

Posted March 27, 2013
Currently I have two children attending this school, one is a Freshman and one is a Senior. I have never had issues with the leadership of the administration at this school. Their teachers are consistently helpful, usually available after school (either on scheduled days or by appointment). The relationship between my children and their teachers is fantastic! Teachers are genuinely concerned about the quality of education my children receive. Additionally, all of their IB teachers must be certified by the International Baccalaureate Organization (IBO) to be able to teach an IB course. As a result, I feel confident my children are receiving a challenging and fulfilling education.

Gar-Field High School 2

Posted February 24, 2011
The teachers are caring but the discipline in the school is weak at best. My child tells me of times when a student is sent out of the room for disrupting the class only to have the administration send him back.

Posted March 09, 2010

Posted November 22, 2009

Posted October 06, 2009
This well-diversed school strives to make everyone reach beyond their goals whether it be academics, sports or clubs.

Posted October 05, 2009
Gar-field is a fab High School, teachers are great, the whole atmosphere is awesome, they really care!!!!

Gar-Field High School 3

Posted April 18, 2009

Posted April 14, 2009
As an Alumni of Gar-Field Senior High School, I can say with confidence that it was one of the best experiences of my life. I am a self-proclaimed wall flower and I always have been. The USMC Junior ROTC program really brought me out of my shell and gave me the self confidence I never had. Roger Dallek was an outstanding principal (and college professor) and I'm sad to hear that he is gone. I occasionally go back to visit my old teachers and from what I understand, they are just as great as they were while I was attending school there. I can't wait for my 10 year reunion so I can reminisce with my old classmates. This is an excellent school!! Don't judge a book by its cover!

Gar-Field High School
14000 Smoketown Rd, Woodbridge, VA  22192
Last modified Gar-Field High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Gar-Field High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 33 reviews. Top