Woodbridge, VA
Students enrolled: 2,547

Posted July 22, 2014
This school is an interesting mix of culture, dynamics, and people. It is easy to talk down GFHS because of the swirling rumors of teenage pregnancy, ghetto and immature students, and the list goes on and on. In every high school there are good students and bad students and Garfield is no different. The IB program is one of the best in the world and the staff at GFHS provide the best enviroment for the program to succeed. Students come from a plethora of different backgrounds, experiences, and struggles but they unite in a cultural mixing pot of school. I have never felt in danger for my life or others because GFHS is a safe school. The majority of people are well behaved and civilized. It is only when the small percent messes up that the whole school is implicated badly. I wish it wasn't the case but students are adamant about remaininy themselves and the community chooses to remain ignorant and opinionated. It is not perfect but it is sure worth it. I would recommend anyone to try the IB program at Garfield and you will be amazed by the growth and oppurtunities you receive. You choose your own destiny and success, so instead of asking yourself "Should I?" Ask "Can I and will I?
3 people found this helpful

Gar-Field High School 5

Posted March 27, 2013
The IB Program at this school definitely contained the rigor and quality of education necessary to prepare me for college. Although I will be going to college to study engineering, the interwoven material learned in each IB class taught me valuable communication skills when speaking and writing. My teachers were all incredibly passionate about their job, went out of their way to help students, and genuinely showed concern for the education of each and every student. The administration consistently keeps the students' interests at heart and regulates the great environment. I can confidently say that I felt safe at school everyday. When I walked in the doors, it was evident I was receiving a quality education. I highly recommend Gar-Field HS and its International Baccalaureate Program to anyone who desires a well-rounded high school education.

Gar-Field High School 5

Posted March 27, 2013
Currently I have two children attending this school, one is a Freshman and one is a Senior. I have never had issues with the leadership of the administration at this school. Their teachers are consistently helpful, usually available after school (either on scheduled days or by appointment). The relationship between my children and their teachers is fantastic! Teachers are genuinely concerned about the quality of education my children receive. Additionally, all of their IB teachers must be certified by the International Baccalaureate Organization (IBO) to be able to teach an IB course. As a result, I feel confident my children are receiving a challenging and fulfilling education.

Gar-Field High School 2

Posted February 24, 2011
The teachers are caring but the discipline in the school is weak at best. My child tells me of times when a student is sent out of the room for disrupting the class only to have the administration send him back.

Posted October 06, 2009
This well-diversed school strives to make everyone reach beyond their goals whether it be academics, sports or clubs.

Posted October 05, 2009
Gar-field is a fab High School, teachers are great, the whole atmosphere is awesome, they really care!!!!

Posted April 14, 2009
As an Alumni of Gar-Field Senior High School, I can say with confidence that it was one of the best experiences of my life. I am a self-proclaimed wall flower and I always have been. The USMC Junior ROTC program really brought me out of my shell and gave me the self confidence I never had. Roger Dallek was an outstanding principal (and college professor) and I'm sad to hear that he is gone. I occasionally go back to visit my old teachers and from what I understand, they are just as great as they were while I was attending school there. I can't wait for my 10 year reunion so I can reminisce with my old classmates. This is an excellent school!! Don't judge a book by its cover!

Posted January 15, 2009
I'm an Alumni of GF- I graduated in 2006. I loved the time I spent there, and after reading the reviews, I can address some of the issues that were stated- although I may be a little outdated. The counseling program will keep students at an arms length unless the students show an interest in communicating. I had a great relationship with my counselor. The principal I knew was very good at working with students and parents. The extracurricular programs are great for keeping students active and happy. Most teachers I dealt with tried very hard to challenge and help their students and, when asked, would always stay after school to help. Parents, if you feel the school isn't communicating with you, consider whether your student may be withholding. At least when I was a student, pamphlets, notices, and sheets were sent home with students several times a week.

Posted January 15, 2009
I'm a recent graduate of Gar-field High School and I must say it is an excellent school - in the sense of its IB standards. I was an IB Scholar and the academics offered through IB at Gar-field definitely prepared me for college. Although the work is sometimes stressful, you get a sense of time management from the amount of work given. As a freshman and sophomore at Gar-field, I took a couple non-IB classes and they were not as impressive. The only low ratings given to Gar-field should be primarily because of these classes. Most of the teachers, knowing the attitudes of the students, didn't feel the need to interact and teach the class to their fullest. It was almost as if they didn't enjoy their job of shaping young minds. The students in these classes are even less impressive. Either way, Gar-field's IB program is great!

Posted June 28, 2008
I am a senior at Gar-Field and ive been there all four years since my freshmen year. I love that school. It is one of the few diverse schools in PWC. The sports and activity programs there are really good and it keeps us from getting into trouble. I dont care what anybody says i love that school and i would rather be at Gar-Field than any other school

14000 Smoketown Rd, Woodbridge, VA  22192
Last modified Gar-Field High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Gar-Field High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 33 reviews. Top