Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

With the number of non-English speakers, every grade is a year behind. They teach to the slowest child. If your kid is on grade level, they will be bored here as they repeat information over and over.

Amount of homework: no rating

I would have to actually know what is being assigned in order to answer this question.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

The kids are barely taught anything in class, and given no resources to take home (texts, print outs) so they come home and copy everything from the internet.

Teachers are there for a paycheck and nothing more. As soon as the last school bus pulls out, the building is a ghost town. They have no concept of how to be authoritative, and any behavior issue, big or small, the parent is called and expected to fix anything that happened in the classroom. For instance, recent progress report says that my child is often "wandering around the classroom during independent work" and that I should address this with him. Yet she has never tried to re-direct him because she is too busy with the kids who need extra help at the end of the day to do so. (This is from her mouth). There are no text books, and I have no idea what or how my children are learning. I've had numerous meetings with the teachers and administration requesting additional information and to be informed of their assignments, to which I'm told I don't need to know because it's all individual work. Then, when an assignment isn't completed, they contact me to "encourage" my kids to get their work done. School started end of August and it was early October before I was informed that my one child hadn't turned something in. When I asked for clarification on the assignment (since he was just sent home with a piece of paper and a concept map) I was again, told that he knew and understood the assignment and that I didn't need to know what was expected of him. Overall this school is terrible. Their test scores are below par, they are over crowded, understaffed and expanding the student base before hiring additional teachers and staff. The communication (or lack there of) with the staff and admin has gotten so bad, I've had to hire a lawyer to be my mediator and ensure that my children have an advocate for them, as the school no longer listens to me. (And I'm not just a PITA parent, I volunteer 10+ hours a week there).

Teachers are very nice. The food is great. The school is awesome. The school is safe :) Good Job

Administration communicates poorly with teachers, and there is a strong tendency to overreaction among the staff that includes having a social worker follow up with a parent after a kindergartener's single accident and other events that have made national news. (A news search of the school and principal's name should turn it up.) My child has developed an attitude problem and severe study and concentration issues since starting here, and staff repeatedly try to lay blame with home instead of school environment. It's enough to make a parent consider homeschooling, and we are moving partly to be in another school district.

Last modified Potomac View Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.