Woodbridge, VA

R. Dean Kilby Elementary School 4

Posted November 14, 2014
After reading the negative reviews I am pleasantly surprised and delighted with this little neighborhood school. Kilby, and its staff, are a hidden gem in Prince William County. The teachers and administration have been very responsive to parent concerns and my children's 3 teachers' are exceptional. I also find this school to have a very warm, welcoming vibe. I've visited in other PWC schools in which that was not the case. Kudos to the office staff for their welcoming, patient, and warm demeanor as well. Parental involvement at Kilby could be higher, but that may a response to cultural and linguistic barriers in the neighborhood. Special needs parents do need to be actively involved, and obtain as many outside services. ( The Arc, POAC, and the Special ed Resource Center come to mind. ) I would love to see a SACC program. (That would give Kilby a 5 star rating in my book.) I've been told this is due to the small size of the building. Hopefully after the new building is built- yes major construction is coming- Kilby will have before and after care. The "2" rating is really inaccurate. Great school and my children love it!

R. Dean Kilby Elementary School 4

Posted May 12, 2014
I have two children at Kilby. One in Kinder and the other in third grade. It is our first year here. We love their teachers. They really care if they do well and help them to progress. They have given extra materials and online helps when they are necessary. They are friendly and professional. They get back to me promptly whenever I have a question. I haven't had any personal experience with the principal, but other parents speak highly of her. There doesn't seem to be very much parent involvement. I know there are ample opportunities to volunteer, and I could've volunteered more, too. The parking/pick-up/drop-off situation is hectic. Overall, we like the school and have only had positive experiences. I feel like the teachers truly want the children to succeed, and also make the children want to succeed. I feel like my children are safe at Kilby as well. Thank you Kilby for a great school year!

Posted April 18, 2010
The Teachers have all been wonderful and patient by teaching me how to help support my sons learning. There has been a number of personal stories, I decided to help by volunteering because I wanted to be a part of it and learned so much more by doing that. My story is not grand but when teachers treat you like an equal it made me want to be apart of there team.

Posted February 22, 2010

Posted September 27, 2009

Posted August 03, 2009

Posted May 23, 2008

R. Dean Kilby Elementary School 3

Posted December 03, 2006
They are not to bad , but I have seen and dealt with parent involvement and as a parent you really need to know your parental rights to protect your child and get proper help. This is not comforting to feel you have to know the laws inside and out.

Posted April 15, 2004
I have not been impressed with Kilby. My daughter has gone to school here 1st and 2nd grade, and I will be taking her out at the end of this year. There is clearly way too much focus on preparation for the SOLs and not enough focus on curriculum and progress. I do like the small class size and personal attention, but the school lacks quality education.

R. Dean Kilby Elementary School
1800 Horner Rd, Woodbridge, VA  22191
Last modified R. Dean Kilby Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
R. Dean Kilby Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 9 reviews. Top