Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very ineffective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Student (1 response)

Herbert J. Saunders Middle School 2

Posted January 05, 2016
**This opinion-based post applies to the leadership at Saunders Middle School in the Prince William County School District, and to an unfortunate handful of teachers and staff who have forgotten their pedagogical oath to reach and teach all learners.** "It's A We Thing" at Saunders? It sure is, but in the most self-righteous form of school leadership we have ever experienced. If middle school isn't difficult enough, you can be assured that it's more so at Saunders with like-atmospheric teacher-comments and attitudes below: that the only problems at Saunders stem from "parents and students don't follow the rules". We guess that the teacher who "growls" at her students or the resource officer who has been given the full authority to threaten and file for termination of parental rights should be commended, or at least accepted as vocational privilege? Beware parents! "They" will protect their school, but in our opinion, "they" have failed miserably at wholly-protecting, empowering, and understanding the 21st Century learner and child. One size fits all at Saunders Middle School, and if your children are a bit too big for their mold, you might experience labeling and targeting of which you would have never imagined. Lastly, "zero tolerance of bullying" does not exist. Environmental bullying is a learned (and tolerated) behavior, and when our children finally exercise their right to say "this is the last time you will hurt me or my friends", the subtle and "hidden rules" of school leadership diminish any chance for student- and self-development of assertion and esteem. Good luck!

Herbert J. Saunders Middle School 5

Posted September 02, 2015
I have an 8th grader and a 6th grader currently at this school. This school is fantastic! To start the teachers are great! As stated in many of the reviews, Mr. Anderson is an over the top teacher who is loved by all the children. He certainly deserves the title of "world's best teacher". But honestly, I have yet to come across one bad teacher at this school. I appreciate the open communication, the emails I receive just to say my child is great and thanking me for sending her. As far as the principal, I am blown away by the negative comments. She is amazing! Any time I have gone up to the school she has been there and always smiling. I happen to walk into the office one day while she was talking and laughing with her office staff and it meant a lot when I could tell they too liked her. I have had to email her with some questions and expected a response within 24-48 hours, especially since it was the start of school, and was impressed when I received a lengthy response addressing all my questions late that evening from her home. I for one appreciate the rules that are in place. Those rules are what keeps Saunders a safe place for my 2 girls. Neither have yet to complain about any rules being unreasonable. She and the teachers are also always visible. They can be seen cheering on their students at athletic events and participating in after school events with the students. For those that have anything negative to say about the school, I would recommend that you look into ways you can support the school and your student and then you too will see how lucky we are to have our children in such a wonderful school.

Teacher effectiveness: Very ineffective

Posted June 06, 2015
I dont have to explain everyone already understands its very sad I hate this school

Develops grit: Strongly disagree

Posted June 06, 2015
no they put us down and make us feel extremely weak and bad about us

Develops empathy: Strongly disagree

Posted June 06, 2015
They dont care about anything, they only care about how they look in the record books

Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted June 06, 2015
They like more students more than others and treat me badly because im a lesbian

Herbert J. Saunders Middle School 1

Posted August 23, 2014
Lunch is a place where kids should communicate with one another. We're deprived from that because we have to sit with our class with the same people. We can't make new friends if we're stuck with the same people every day.

Herbert J. Saunders Middle School 3

Posted August 22, 2014
Honestly, Saunders Middle school is an OK school. Three stars basically describe it, average. Last year, when I was in 6th grade there were really cool teachers who actually cared for their students, such as Mr. Anderson, Ms.Folly, etc. And then there were teacher who frankly didn't care what the heck you did. There was a sub which I will not name, who "teach " in math after our other Math teacher Ms. Sturgill had a heart attack. The sub barely provided us with work and since I was in the advanced math, she just expected us to get everything right, so we weren't really learning anything...A lot of kids that year had their math grades go down that year...and then theres the new principle, who is WAY over the top with the rules. But hey, who am I to complain about? I'm just another kid.

Herbert J. Saunders Middle School 1

Posted June 29, 2014
Saunders Middle school has disappointed me beyond belief. They allowed my 6 grade girl to get in a car with a man...when she was supposed to be on the bus several times. I signed the paper for her to ride the late bus and she did not. They have not notified me if she was doing poorly in a class. She was a victim of bullying and they would not even call me back after I left messages with the secretary for the Principal and the Vp and the security officer.....on one called to follow up on the "I will kill you " threat. Oh....her locker was broken and wow during that time when being worked on by the maint. staff her Ipad was stolen....she couldn't get into her locker to get her text books even.

Herbert J. Saunders Middle School 3

Posted June 28, 2014
New school and my rating will be updated as I get to know the teachers and staff

14800 Darbydale Av, Woodbridge, VA  22193
Last modified Herbert J. Saunders Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.