Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)

Effective school leaders: Strongly disagree

Amazing! Both leadership and the councillors are exceptional! The counsellor always answers my questions and emails promptly, and helped our transition to this school.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

Absolutely! They are welcoming to newcomers and really reached out to welcome and become friends with our military kids.

Amount of homework: Strongly disagree

The teachers utilise technology in order to keep the kids up date on new concepts. The teachers are fantastic at updating the grade book online so you are instantly aware of your students grades.

This school is amazing!! The teachers, staff, and administration are friendly, supportive and amazing. The kids really are good kids, my son lost his phone after school, and it was turned in and the security officer kept it for him until he could get it the next day. My son also had an emergency surgery and the teachers emailed him, and sent him cards. And worked very hard to keep him involved and on point with his notes, studies, homework, and test. Even upon return they stayed late to help with some concepts that he missed and was confused about. Mr. Strang, the orchestra teacher is AMAZING!!! We were constantly amazed at the concerts that he put together, and after my daughter went to high school, she still thinks fondly of him, and seemed to learn more in middle school than high school. The administration is always present in the hallways and are sympathetic and fair. I feel my students were safe, well educated, and thrived at Saunders! Bullying has never been an issue for my kids, and being a family that moves a lot sometimes school aren't as welcoming to newcomers, not the case at Saunders. This is one school both kids are sad about leaving!

**This opinion-based post applies to the leadership at Saunders Middle School in the Prince William County School District, and to an unfortunate handful of teachers and staff who have forgotten their pedagogical oath to reach and teach all learners.** "It's A We Thing" at Saunders? It sure is, but in the most self-righteous form of school leadership we have ever experienced. If middle school isn't difficult enough, you can be assured that it's more so at Saunders with like-atmospheric teacher-comments and attitudes below: that the only problems at Saunders stem from "parents and students don't follow the rules". We guess that the teacher who "growls" at her students or the resource officer who has been given the full authority to threaten and file for termination of parental rights should be commended, or at least accepted as vocational privilege? Beware parents! "They" will protect their school, but in our opinion, "they" have failed miserably at wholly-protecting, empowering, and understanding the 21st Century learner and child. One size fits all at Saunders Middle School, and if your children are a bit too big for their mold, you might experience labeling and targeting of which you would have never imagined. Lastly, "zero tolerance of bullying" does not exist. Environmental bullying is a learned (and tolerated) behavior, and when our children finally exercise their right to say "this is the last time you will hurt me or my friends", the subtle and "hidden rules" of school leadership diminish any chance for student- and self-development of assertion and esteem. Good luck!

I have an 8th grader and a 6th grader currently at this school. This school is fantastic! To start the teachers are great! As stated in many of the reviews, Mr. Anderson is an over the top teacher who is loved by all the children. He certainly deserves the title of "world's best teacher". But honestly, I have yet to come across one bad teacher at this school. I appreciate the open communication, the emails I receive just to say my child is great and thanking me for sending her. As far as the principal, I am blown away by the negative comments. She is amazing! Any time I have gone up to the school she has been there and always smiling. I happen to walk into the office one day while she was talking and laughing with her office staff and it meant a lot when I could tell they too liked her. I have had to email her with some questions and expected a response within 24-48 hours, especially since it was the start of school, and was impressed when I received a lengthy response addressing all my questions late that evening from her home. I for one appreciate the rules that are in place. Those rules are what keeps Saunders a safe place for my 2 girls. Neither have yet to complain about any rules being unreasonable. She and the teachers are also always visible. They can be seen cheering on their students at athletic events and participating in after school events with the students. For those that have anything negative to say about the school, I would recommend that you look into ways you can support the school and your student and then you too will see how lucky we are to have our children in such a wonderful school.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

I dont have to explain everyone already understands its very sad I hate this school

Develops character: Strongly disagree

They like more students more than others and treat me badly because im a lesbian

Lunch is a place where kids should communicate with one another. We're deprived from that because we have to sit with our class with the same people. We can't make new friends if we're stuck with the same people every day.

Honestly, Saunders Middle school is an OK school. Three stars basically describe it, average. Last year, when I was in 6th grade there were really cool teachers who actually cared for their students, such as Mr. Anderson, Ms.Folly, etc. And then there were teacher who frankly didn't care what the heck you did. There was a sub which I will not name, who "teach " in math after our other Math teacher Ms. Sturgill had a heart attack. The sub barely provided us with work and since I was in the advanced math, she just expected us to get everything right, so we weren't really learning anything...A lot of kids that year had their math grades go down that year...and then theres the new principle, who is WAY over the top with the rules. But hey, who am I to complain about? I'm just another kid.

Last modified Herbert J. Saunders Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.