Woodbridge, VA

Martin Luther King Jr. Elementary School 4

Posted September 11, 2013
King elementary is a small neighborhood school with good class sizes and a caring group of teachers and staff. The kids are taught to be DREAM students and to have respect for themselves and others. My second grader is safe and being taught the curriculum as well as to respect diversity and help others. The spark program is an added bonus for us.

Posted September 09, 2013
King teachers are very dedicated to a great and diverse student body. I have been impressed with their enthusiasm and ability to focus on a love of learning. I also like the new principal's efforts to engage the community more. Our children have had an excellent experience so far and I recommend this school!

Martin Luther King Jr. Elementary School 2

Posted December 26, 2009
Mr.Shaw was doing great job with this school but the new administration is just terrible.

Martin Luther King Jr. Elementary School 3

Posted November 10, 2009

Martin Luther King Jr. Elementary School 2

Posted February 15, 2006
I've had 5 kids go through this school system. It was a great place for the kids until this year with the new principal. Since then, the problems have been numberous. There seems to be a lack of control with the older students. The teachers particularly in grade 5 do not have control and they don't treat all the kids the same. The teachers in the younger grades, especially kindergarten have been fantastic and do a great job giving the kids the foundation to be good students, but the new adminstartion and some of the younger teachers cannot control the kids. There is also a huge lack of diversity among the teaching staff.

Martin Luther King Jr. Elementary School 3

Posted November 16, 2005
The school was great until 2004 when most of the good teacher left for a new school. The principal had to hire a new assistand principal and about 14 new teachers. All personnel were White, no diversity. This school has a very diversed student population, and the teachers did not reflect the students.

Posted September 03, 2005
Both of my children graduated from this school. Both went there all the years between Kindergarten and 5th grade. This is an absolutely outstanding school. Great school spirit. Part of the community in every way.

Posted March 06, 2005
I am very pleased with the education my daughter is receiving at King. Mr. Shaw and all the ladies in the front office know the kids by name and whose class their siblings are in. They encourage parent volunteering and to come have lunch with your child during the day. The teachers are invested in my child's learning. They rotate through art, music and PE schedules. They have safety drills including 'bully' drills. I was disappointed that they did not teach phonics in kindergarten. They focused more on whole word learning. (So we supplemented with a phonics program of our own during the summer. Now I have a 1st grade reader! I believe a combination of phonics and whole word reading works best). I highly recommend this school. We will be sad if we ever have to leave.

Posted September 22, 2004
My oldest daughter started kindergarten this year, and I couldn't be happier! Ms. Parker and Mrs. Radeke are WONDERFUL! The teachers are willing to work with a child to make sure that each child is getting the education and care that they need on an individual basis. Mr. Shaw is FABULOUS. He is outside every day with the buses, and makes sure to speak to the parents coming to pick up their children. All of the teachers that I have chatted with in passing are just as friendly and caring to the children, even if they are not in their class. This is a GREAT SCHOOL!!

Posted February 23, 2004
This is the best school my children have ever attended in a grade school. The kids are wonderful acting because of the teachers and how they manage their classes. But, the most awesome principal is there, Mr. Shaw. I am a military wife and I have been over the last 18 years to many school districts (every 2&3 years) w/3 children. He is so wonderful. He knows each child by name, he makes sure of it. And, he makes sure to ask the parents what their name is and he remembers you just as well. He goes out to the busses and makes sure the kids get out their safely and behave. But, you really don't have to worry about that, the kids do mind because they are treated with respect and in so doing act respectful. I love this school and sad to leave it-my child will be going to 6th grade now!

Martin Luther King Jr. Elementary School
13224 Nickleson Dr, Woodbridge, VA  22193
Last modified Martin Luther King Jr. Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Martin Luther King Jr. Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 10 reviews. Top