Woodbridge, VA

Posted December 07, 2014
I have 2 children who attend this school. Kinder and 3rd grade. This school has a pretty responsive principle. The school could be better at resolving problems. They allow students to play football during recess on concrete, this landed my son in the ER. They have this safety issue. My son was teased based on the color of his skin and called a racial slur. They didn't find the student therefore they didn't discipline the student, they did tell students to not use bad words. I personally think it could have been an opportunity to promote acceptance of others in an age appropriate way. I think they could have done more than tell kids not to use bad words. Based on information provided to me, I think this diverse school could be more culturally aware and sensitive to all students. Also, they need more assistance in Kinder classrooms. There are limitations in visiting classroom, you will be escorted by principle or vice principle after about 10 minutes you'll be escorted out. If you volunteer your left alone with kids and have no escort, for example field day or field trips. I have only experienced one good teacher with a very effective teaching style Mrs. Arguin.

Posted October 02, 2013
Westridge is reviving! This is our second year at the school and I cannot believe the difference I've noticed with the new principal! The teachers (and I've spoken personally spoken to several) are much happier and the mood is so much lighter. New teachers have been hired including the addition of two teachers dedicated to autistic students. I've never had a problem volunteering or checking on my children in their classrooms. Every teacher is different and some are ok when you show up spontaneously while others may prefer a scheduled visit. It is what it is. Do not have any apprehension sending your child to this school. It really is a great place!

Westridge Elementary School 4

Posted September 26, 2013
My school has blossomed more this year, with new leadership, effective changes and more vitality.

Posted April 07, 2013
Westridge is one of the best elementary schools in Northern Virginia!! This is the school you want your kids to go to!!! Mrs. Zhikharev is an amazing teacher!

Posted March 22, 2013
The Westridge learning environment is excellent. We've been at this school for ten years with multiple kids and are still impressed with the teaching staff, the parental involvement and the extracurricular activities. The principal has hired engaging teachers and provides numerous opportunities for creative learning - the chorus is exceptional and well attended (two separate choral groups due to the outsized interest), elementary strings frequently outperform middle schools, 24 club mathematics competition, running club, excellent support for Odyssey of the Mind (they always have multiple highly creative teams), well represented at the County art fairs and science fairs and all around expectations of student excellence. Mrs. Hayden has also instituted an anti-bullying program that has worked very well - bullying is not a problem at the school. Our kids moving to middle school are more than prepared for the increased academic requirements. When you expect excellence from the students, they respond to the challenge.

Posted March 08, 2013
This is my son's first year in school and he loves attending Westridge. His teacher is wonderful (Mrs. Forvour). There are a lot of activities that reinforce his learning. I am a first time parent and new to all these things, but I have always been able to get my questions answered by calling the school or emailing his teachers.

Posted January 15, 2013
I was very disappointed in this school--so much so that we pulled our Kindergartner out mid-year. The teacher was nice, kind, caring, and good at her job but the classrooms are large (25+ children) and the entire school only had 5 teachers assistants to share between all of the classrooms. My son had an IEP for PDD-NOS and yet when I requested opportunities to observe my child and his ability to interact and cope in his classroom I was practically frozen out and every request or action to see him in his classroom was hindered. I was later told that to see him in his classroom I needed to use the phrase "hang out" or I would get the same reaction. The school has poor communication and seems to dislike when a parent wants to know more or details about their child's day or interactions. Maybe they're too used to dual working parents and aren't accustomed to a SAHM who has always been involved and knowledgeable? Also, I felt the curriculum was lacking and that my child was bored in the classroom because of all the sit and wait time. I can not recommend this school to any actively involved parent and/or any parent who has a child with special needs or an IEP!!

Posted January 20, 2012
I too am disappointed by the remarks by some of the parents here. My first experience was with the Assistant PRincipal, Mr. Kahn, who is just fantastic! He took a personal interest in my 7 year old, and now he has a buddy for life - and the whole staff is that way, including the Principal, who takes no guff from the BMW/Mercedes set that likes to think they run the school - maybe that is wher ethe comments come from. The teachers are great and so is the community if you can get past the many snobby parents - the teachers are EXCELLENT, and it was clear that much though and time was put into their hiring. Now I know why - the only other school I might consider is Springwoods, but this one is within walking distance ina a pleasant neighborhood!

Posted October 13, 2011
So far I'm disappointed. The communication with this school is the worst I've ever had with any of the three elementary schools our family has atteneded. The reputation was excellent but the reality is falling short of all of my expectations.

Posted September 25, 2011
It makes me sad to see the negative reviews from other parents; I don't agree with them. I have felt VERY encouraged to participate and volunteer ever since my daughter began school. My daughter's teacher, Mrs. Forvour, is absolutely amazing; my little girl loves going to school! I am so impressed by the efforts made by the PTA to raise money for the school and get everyone involved. I once had a question for the administration and the assistant principal, Mr. Kahn (who is new this year), returned my phone call immediately and was very kind. This is a great school so far! Great job Westridge!

Westridge Elementary School
12400 Knightsbridge Dr, Woodbridge, VA  22192
Last modified Westridge Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Westridge Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 33 reviews. Top