Woodbridge, VA
Before care: Yes
After care: No

River Oaks Elementary School 2

Posted April 11, 2012
My child has attended River Oaks for several years. The school has declined in the last few years with low parent participation to an increase in discipline problems. The tone of the atmosphere/climate is set from the top down (leadership/administration). Instead of them being PROACTIVE, the administration is mostly reactive, but mostly INACTIVE. Unruly, undisciplined/mal-behaved kids & their parents run this school, NOT the leadership/administration. Students are allowed to blatantly disrespect teachers & staff with little to no consequences & they know it, so it just continues with minimal discipline action issued, i.e., time-out, no recess, warning, etc. As a parent, I emphasize the importance of education, how to act accordingly & the consequences of chosen actions, so I don't have to visit the school because my child is misbehaving. Meanwhile, my child is subjected to disruption/distraction daily from kids whose parents don't emphasize the same & who look at the school as a "baby-sitter". There are many teachers who are good at what they do & should be applauded, but there are many others who only see this as a paycheck. This is a sad look at our upcoming generation.

River Oaks Elementary School 4

Posted June 01, 2011
My daughter was in kindergarten this year and we couldn't have asked for a better school experience than the one we had at River Oaks. The teachers and staff are wonderful and took the time to get to know her. Whenever I was on campus or was just dropping or picking her up, we were always greeted with hellos or told goodbye. We were never ignored. The curriculum was rigorous enough for my daughter and it was tiered to meet the needs of all learners. River Oaks is a wonderful example that a child does not need to go to the newest school in order to get the best education. It is the teachers that make the difference not the building.

Posted December 05, 2009
The teachers at this school are wonderful. My girl likes all of her teachers so far and actually enjoys going to this school.

River Oaks Elementary School 1

Posted April 28, 2008

Posted January 10, 2008
It's a great school, teachers really care for their students. And discipline is good too.

River Oaks Elementary School 2

Posted June 11, 2007
Larger than average classes result in kids sitting right on top of each other and teacher losing control of classes. Bulling tolerated and not addressed unless pushed by parents.

Posted April 12, 2007
My 7-year old daughter is a prime example of what I see in every student at ROES. ROES provides opportunity, tools and positive reinforcement that enables our children to exceed even their expectations. The look and sound of a child when they have accomplished a task is a wonderful gift to experience! I am confident that My daughter excels because her teacher says she can. She believes in her teacher, Ms. Barrett, and is encouraged to challenge herself daily and to use what she has learned in the classroom, outside the classroom. ROES students have the unique opportunity to showcase their talents in many interesting and fun ways. ROES is the reason for all the new-found confidence I see in my child. We are still amazed by the things that she will do and what she does. ROES has set the stage for a great educational experience.

Posted November 30, 2006
River Oaks Elementary is an amazing school. The administrators, teachers and staff are kind and caring. The Spanish program is excellent and the PTO offers many family activities. My eldest daughter was so inspired and well taught by her fifth grade teacher (Ms. I. Burt) that she came up with a 'life plan' which included her goal of attending Harvard. I still have two children at River Oaks and I must say, everyone makes you feel like your a part of the River Oaks family. It is a wonderful school!

Posted October 26, 2004
This is the 9th year of having my children at River Oaks and have several years to go! We have been with 4 principals so far. I love the school enviornment. The teachers and staff really care about the students and are always finding new and exciting ways for the kids to learn. River Oaks has that family feeling that you don't find to often these days. My oldest is in high school and my next oldest is in Middle School. Both have gone on to the IBMYP program and now the oldest is in the Cambridge program. River Oaks definatley prepares the students and gives them a firm foundation for higher learning.

River Oaks Elementary School
16950 McGuffeys Trail, Woodbridge, VA  22191
Last modified River Oaks Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
River Oaks Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 9 reviews. Top