Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

We have had Children attend this school since 2004, starting with grade 1, when we moved here. Most have graduated and live on their own now. 2 of our children still attend (we have 6 in total), youngest going into the 1st Grade and 2nd youngest the 4th grade this 16/17 School Year. The Staff and Teachers are great! They love working with the student bodies Parents on everything. In order for Student's to excel, the Parent's need to be involved. I am a bit flabbergasted on the negative and low reviews. You cannot blame the School for Children's behavioral problems, that is a fault of the Parent of the child(ren) that are causing the issues, school can only do so much and parents need to be willing to help. My review maybe biased as I have been involved with this school so long, but that is also the key, I have been involved. (- The Miller's)

The behavior problems at this school are abominable. The children have very bad discipline problems. I was shocked to see that the principal had placed so many problem students in one class with a first year teacher. Why would you do that instead of separating them between the classes??? The five children who were trying to learn, listen, and be good could barely concentrate because the other children were acting out and yelling constantly. There was no peace in the classrooms. The well-behaved children are suffering because of the poorly-behaved children and it is very sad to see. It is almost impossible to teach with the way that these children are acting. This school needs drill sergeants for teachers. The kids act like animals and do not respect the teachers.

My daughter has been going to River Oaks Elementary since kindergarten, she is now in second grade and I have NO issues with this school. It is nice and clean inside, they just got a new playground and an addition onto the school for more classrooms and a new auditorium. She's had good teachers, some more amazing than others, but they all work hard. The front office staff is always friendly and personable. We had one issue with another kid when my daughter was in kindergarten and the principal handled it very well. I cannot find anything negative to say about this school, other than maybe having more homework. My daughter may disagree with that, lol.

My child has attended River Oaks for several years. The school has declined in the last few years with low parent participation to an increase in discipline problems. The tone of the atmosphere/climate is set from the top down (leadership/administration). Instead of them being PROACTIVE, the administration is mostly reactive, but mostly INACTIVE. Unruly, undisciplined/mal-behaved kids & their parents run this school, NOT the leadership/administration. Students are allowed to blatantly disrespect teachers & staff with little to no consequences & they know it, so it just continues with minimal discipline action issued, i.e., time-out, no recess, warning, etc. As a parent, I emphasize the importance of education, how to act accordingly & the consequences of chosen actions, so I don't have to visit the school because my child is misbehaving. Meanwhile, my child is subjected to disruption/distraction daily from kids whose parents don't emphasize the same & who look at the school as a "baby-sitter". There are many teachers who are good at what they do & should be applauded, but there are many others who only see this as a paycheck. This is a sad look at our upcoming generation.

My daughter was in kindergarten this year and we couldn't have asked for a better school experience than the one we had at River Oaks. The teachers and staff are wonderful and took the time to get to know her. Whenever I was on campus or was just dropping or picking her up, we were always greeted with hellos or told goodbye. We were never ignored. The curriculum was rigorous enough for my daughter and it was tiered to meet the needs of all learners. River Oaks is a wonderful example that a child does not need to go to the newest school in order to get the best education. It is the teachers that make the difference not the building.

The teachers at this school are wonderful. My girl likes all of her teachers so far and actually enjoys going to this school.

It's a great school, teachers really care for their students. And discipline is good too.

Larger than average classes result in kids sitting right on top of each other and teacher losing control of classes. Bulling tolerated and not addressed unless pushed by parents.

My 7-year old daughter is a prime example of what I see in every student at ROES. ROES provides opportunity, tools and positive reinforcement that enables our children to exceed even their expectations. The look and sound of a child when they have accomplished a task is a wonderful gift to experience! I am confident that My daughter excels because her teacher says she can. She believes in her teacher, Ms. Barrett, and is encouraged to challenge herself daily and to use what she has learned in the classroom, outside the classroom. ROES students have the unique opportunity to showcase their talents in many interesting and fun ways. ROES is the reason for all the new-found confidence I see in my child. We are still amazed by the things that she will do and what she does. ROES has set the stage for a great educational experience.

River Oaks Elementary is an amazing school. The administrators, teachers and staff are kind and caring. The Spanish program is excellent and the PTO offers many family activities. My eldest daughter was so inspired and well taught by her fifth grade teacher (Ms. I. Burt) that she came up with a 'life plan' which included her goal of attending Harvard. I still have two children at River Oaks and I must say, everyone makes you feel like your a part of the River Oaks family. It is a wonderful school!

Last modified River Oaks Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.