Woodbridge, VA

Antietam Elementary School 3

Posted June 04, 2015
Although this school is working towards the IB program, the staff is really limited with global mind set. They focus more is reprehend, shaming and ruling out the kids when silly things happens and they interpret innocent acts as malicious. The other day the assistant principal told my daughter that kids have a terrible way to solve problems. I would think part of the staff do so and they need to be updated and trained to deal with kids in a more globalized way and fair manner. Most of the staff lacks training to challenge kids. Some teachers are fed up and all they care is to finish their curricula. If a parent request to give additional work because their kids are advanced, they find a way to turn down the parent. It is really hard to know what is going on inside your kids’ class unless you volunteer. Some teacher do not make a newsletter and do not e-mails the parents to inform about activities and how parents could help their kids to improve. The parent portal is rarely updated and it is not a good system to be transparent with parents. Accelerated Reading program is really poor. Since last year the teacher stopped sending the folder that tracked students progress, so now parents are clueless about how many points the kids accumulated. Also, the amount of homework is absolutely ridiculous minimum. They say it is because new PWC homework policy ( some say because parents had a hard time to help kids with homework?). It seems they are lowering the Plainfield level for education. I am not sure how this school got in 2014 School of Excellence by the Prince William County School Board school. We do miss the former Assistant Principal who made this school more special due to the way she used to treat students and parents. The school cafeteria is super dark. I am not sure they want to save money with lights or they have a lighting problem that need to be fixed, but it has been a good while it is so dark. The scariest thing is that they hold the SACC program around the cafeteria, so it gets pretty dark during the winter, but the schools ignores this lighting problem. SACC program in Antietam has some mean and very loud counselors.

Posted April 17, 2014
We love this school and lucky to have our Daughter attends this school. The principal rocks.

Posted April 17, 2014
It's an amazing school. From the principal to the teachers top notch from top to bottom.

Posted February 20, 2013
I really wish Antietam gets 9 or even 10 within the great schools ' ratings! The staff is amazing, super professional and very helpful. The new principal is so humble and full of energy. She is everywhere even outside in the morning welcoming all the kids, with all the other teachers. My daughter's teacher is the best lady I have ever met. Honestly, when your kid is so excited to go to school and hates missing a day even when he is sick, I believe this makes the school deserves all those stars!

Posted May 02, 2012
This is by far the very best school I have ever dealt with and HIGHLY recommend it to everyone. Unfortunately, job situations and an awful commute have required us to relocate to Maryland (which is AWFUL by the way.) My children and I miss Antietam terribly.We are currently seeking new employment in order to return to Lake Ridge because of the awesomeness of this school! While I found the principal unpleasant, the rest of the staff makes up for her shortcomings with their greatness!

Posted July 21, 2011
This school is amazing!!! I have two children in this school 1st and 3rd...we moved to the area from Louisiana last year. Despite private education in LA, my children were struggling when they first entered this school; however, the school and the teacher diligently worked with them throughout the year. Now both are at the top of their class and love school!!! Academically, Antietam is awesome and the only thing that out shines the academics is the extra-curricular activities. Chess club, running club, scouts, tae kwon do are all offered through the school and/or community. The parents and PTA are also amazing and supportive and friendly. I am sad to have to move away from the area, but cannot wait to come back into this school system.

Posted April 08, 2011
This is my daughter's first year at Antietam, and I am very proud to say that she is doing tremendously well! She had trouble with reading comprehension earlier in the year, but now she is doing much better and even enjoys reading more! I know it is due to her teacher and the "Study Island" staff who give her extra help after school. I am grateful to have found such a good school for my daughter to attend.

Antietam Elementary School 4

Posted October 08, 2010
This is a great school. The teachers are really wonderful and they sincerely care for the kids. Ms. Kern is a such a wonderful asset to the school as well. We unfortunately had to move to a different state but she called me personally months after we moved to let me know that our new school had not requested school records for my daughter and wanted to know how she could get them to the new school.

Posted August 12, 2010
My boys went to Antietam for only one year and it was one of the best schools they have attended! The teachers were wonderful, the administration was attentive, and the extra programs offered were outstanding. My youngest, who needed special help in reading, excelled and for the first time made the honor roll. I highly recommend this school and hope we can come back!

Antietam Elementary School 3

Posted April 29, 2010
Antietam has been a great school however changes in admiinistration and teaching staff have made things murky; from basic operations to reinforcement of new hire teachers.

Antietam Elementary School
12000 Antietam Rd, Woodbridge, VA  22192
Last modified Antietam Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Antietam Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 17 reviews. Top