PK-2|Private

Bad
Good

This school is a great fit for my family with three children. We have experience with the 2 1/2, 3, 4, and pre-kindergarten classes. The staff is very kind and focused with the students, and the curriculum is what I expect from a pre-school. I love that they have gym, music, and German (4+ ages), as well as focusing on and reinforcing colors, letters, numbers, and sounds in all of their lessons. This is not a play-based pre-school, and for us, that works well. They do have a playground, and try to get the children out, weather permitting, once, sometimes twice a day. The 2 1/2 and 3 year old classes are definitely more laid back, and things pick up pace in the 4 year old and pre-kindergarten environments. I appreciate the structure as it has given my children a great foundation to take with them to elementary school. I also enjoy the various shows/programs (Halloween parade, holiday show, Mother's Day Tea for 3 year olds, carnival, talent show, and end of year show and picnic) that they put on and invite the families to. It really builds a great sense of community with the students and families. The classrooms are smaller, but since it isn't really play-based it works if you are looking for more of a structured environment. I do wish the school was little more secure with the recent events going on in the world today, but I do believe that the teachers would do everything in their power to protect the students if anything were to ever happen. The school is also fierce about enforcing a peanut-free environment, which is a relief to those with an allergy, and will work with each family with any other allergy issues. I don't think, in my experience, this is a school to send your child to if you are looking for assistance with discipline or any other individual needs. They just don't have the staff to assist with that. Like someone else said, if you have a mild mannered toddler, which there are many out there who do (I've had 3!), this is probably a great environment if you are looking for structure. The school has also added after-care options if that is a concern, and the woman who runs that (the director) is amazing! I would recommend checking the school out to see if it is a good fit for your child. It has worked very well for us!

Amount of homework: Agree

In the pre-kindergarten class and 4 year old classes, homework was given on occasion. It was never anything that was overwhelming and gave the parents an opportunity to get involved with their child's work.

I am very satisfied with the Cloverdale school. My husband and I were looking for a pre-school that was not a daycare. When we took the tour we immediately noticed we were at the right place. The teachers are seasoned, experienced and patient. My daughter only spoke German at the time but once she started school her English dramatically improved. The other plus is that they offer once a week German lessons which includes culture, holidays and basic language. Her teacher consistently communicates with me about my daughters progress. They have a lot of activities and events where parents are always welcome to attend.

Great school I feel like teachers and administrators really care about my child's education. There's more than just classwork they have projects and events to join in and look forward to. Wonderful small school atmosphere.

Fantastic introduction to school. My daughter had been attending for the last 2 yrs. They teach children great tools for kindergarten- raise your hand, sit in a chair, don't figit with the kid sitting next to them, color w/in lines, reinforce numbers letters days months holidays (not just Christmas & Easter - M. Luther, President's Day Columbus Day etc.) help children with holding crayons/pencils correctly etc. My daughter loves the worksheets and scholastic workbooks - she is so proud when she brings the school work home. We love that she loves doing worksheets! It is the start of building self confidence when it comes to what she knows. I cannot say enough about the teachers, they are wonderful. My daughter has learned some fantastic skills that are very important for kindergarten; and she is learning important social skills as well. The teachers are very attune with what the children are capable of or not; and wow they are great dealing with such different personalities! The program is almost 3 hours long and pack full of great classes including music. We were looking for a school that offered more than just playtime, & this was the school for us.

I had heard good things about this preschool so I enrolled my child. While the staff is very nice, this is not a preschool that I would recommend for the following reasons: Ratio is 1:8 however since the bathrooms are not in the room and one teacher is always out with a child to potty, the ratio is really 1:15. Therefore the teachers in the 3 year old class are always stressed out. (rightfully so). They spend time daily doing work sheets at 3 years old which is not age appropriate. Play time is minimal because the rooms are VERY small and outside time often gets cut out. They do way too many parties in these small rooms that are simply overwhelming and just too many. They take all 16 kids to the bathroom once which takes 25 minutes of their 2.5 hours there. Kids are just sitting in the halls for 25 minutes waiting to go to the bathroom. Lastly, they cater to quiet, mild mannered toddlers and do not know what to do with a toddler who has energy and frankly, normal toddler behavior. The people are nice but we have found this school to be in the dark ages and not age appropriate. Luckily, there are so many other great preschools in this area to choose from.

I have greatly enjoyed the pre-k program and the kindergarten program. I will continue to send my child through second grade! Excellent teaching, Excellent staff!!!!

Very disappointed with the curriculum for Kindergarten at this school. Dittos, dittos, and more dittos. My son never touched a computer, didn't do any arts and crafts, didn't learn to hold a pencil correctly, and didn't fit into "the mold." He had to play catchup throughout his first grade year due to the poor instruction at Cloverdale.

Good school for the most part, however sometime your kids will come home with bump and bruise, scratches, etc... and the teacher will have no clue how it happens! Aren't they supposed to watch the kids... the director is not always responsive regarding issue happening on the school premises.

I love this school!!! My little guy had a great time in the preschool program. What I loved the most was the open lines of communication between the staff and parents. I am looking forward to another great year in Pre-K!!

Last modified Cloverdale School is a Private school that serves grades PK-2