No rating

Cardinal Montessori School

Private | PK-6 | 125 students

Living in Woodbridge

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $240,300. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,360.

Posted April 2, 2014

Best kept secret in Northern Virginia using Montessori values. The teachers and administrator are wonderful. They go out of their way to meet your child's individual needs.

Posted October 14, 2012

It saddens me to see that a family has left Cardinal after such a short amount of time and with less then glowing feelings. This is our fourth year as a Cardinal family, with a child in the first grade, another in kindergarten and our third to begin next year. My sons have flourished and love going to school. The education provided is unsurpassed, even without state of the art equipment or buildings. All the buildings and teaching tools are safe, clean, and perfectly functional. The love of learning instilled in the students, help my sons thrive and strive for more. Very few schools have the ability to, across the board, make an entire classroom love school. My sons do often greet me from the playground with dirty hands and arms, and I am happy with this - as I am thrilled to have my sons at a school that values downtime and play and recognizes that it builds stronger learners. Before we leave, my children simply go to one of the ten sinks spread among the classrooms and bathrooms and wash their hands. This school is a gem. If you're looking for a first class education, this is the place to be.

Posted September 20, 2012

We had two children attend Cardinal Montessori School in Woodbridge. One is currently a junior in college and the other is a sophomore in high school. Our family considers Cardinal Montessori to be one of the best schools in the area! Over the years we have referred many families to the school. At first glance one would not be impressed with the d cor of the building. However, I was not concerned about the building but cared about the learning that went on in the building. My children did very well academically and socially at Cardinal. Cardinal students test scores are consistently higher than the national average. Cardinal gave my children a great education and prepared them to excel in their current educational environment. My children say that the best teachers they ever had were at Cardinal. My youngest child volunteers at Cardinal during the summer. Mr. G is an outstanding principal, teacher and owner who has dedicated his life to the students at Cardinal. If you are looking for a great school where great learning happens, a safe, clean, loving, close knit and diverse community, go to Cardinal Montessori in Woodbridge, VA!

Posted September 18, 2012

Cardinal Montessori, is an outstanding learning environment for my child! I have not seen such a great diverse group of children and parents work together in a loving, kind, considerate manner. My child is thriving, learning, and I hope to keep him in this environment. The school has outstanding teachers, and support staff. I am a current parent, and our child has attended at CMS since he was potty trained. Excellent! I luv the rubber mulch as it helps to cushion any falls! Don't let the small building fool you, there are some of the smartest kids I have met at the elementary level!

Posted September 18, 2012

Cardinal Montessori has been an excellent experience for our son. Throughout his three years of attendance he has progressed streadily through their academic and practical curriculum. This year, as a beginning first grader he is confident reading basic chapter books and executing mathmatical problems on par with our public school's second and third grade levels. The teaching staff and headmaster have been attentive and responsive to any concerns regarding our son and provided excellent recommendations for further investigations and studies. I would recommend CMS to any parent...and the recycled rubber mulch means fewer bruises and scrapes!

Posted September 5, 2012

As a current CMS parent, I am saddened to see that another parent would judge a school solely based on attending for a half a year. Our experience has one that has helped my child, my husband and myself transition our child to school. We could not have asked for a better environment, education or group of educators for our child. My child has flourished at CMS and loves to learn because of her teacher. CMS is her home for 5 days a week given that my husband and I both work. We know that kids are kids but the school is diligent in correcting any bad behavior that arises. CMS has been operational for over 40+ years in that same neighborhood, which are proud to say we are part of. With respect to the cleaniless, that school is cleaned daily and in the summer is painted every year. The tire mulch is part of the experience but all kids get dirty and our daughter loves that playground. So overall, this school is very dedicated to its students and the families that support it. You won't find a better education and experience anywhere else.

Posted September 5, 2012

I think that my motivations for posting this review are similar to the other parents posting positive reviews. I don't believe it's an effort to drown out a single (or few) less than favorable reviews, rather it is a natural defensive reaction when someone criticizes a school you've known and loved for the better part of your child's early development (3 kids, in fact). It has been my experience that the staff and faculty are singularly focused on providing a high quality, safe, and nurturing environment for children to develop and learn. While some personality conflicts can and do occur, as evidenced by the 2-3 reviews below, I think the number of younger siblings and word-of-mouth students attending Cardinal every year is a testament to the overall school quality and atmosphere. In regards to the facility complaints, I know that there are at least two paper towel dispensers in every classroom and bathroom, and two soap dispensers in every bathroom as well. Children do get dirty on the playground because they are kids...it's what they do. I'm happy that they are given the opportunity for physical play every single day. This school is a hidden gem in Eastern PWC.

Posted September 4, 2012

My first child went to CMS since she got potty trained and stayed there until the 5th grade. All I can say is that CMS is a great school - academic standard is high and the teachers are very attentive to the kids. My kid is verry smart. We are a minority family and never felt indiferrent in this school. I thank CMS for providing great education. My second child still goes to CMS and very smart too! We have no complaints at all and we are very happy with Cardinal Montessori School.

Posted September 4, 2012

Our child starts her 6th year at CMS tomorrow. We could not be happier with the very attentive staff. Each year the progress that she makes academically, socially, & with her activities is outstanding. The school maintains the feel of a small community while being worldly and diverse. We are proud to send our child to CMS!

Posted September 4, 2012

Our third child will be starting at Cardinal tomorrow, and can't wait. His older brothers have had, and continue to have, great expeirences there. We have appreciated all of the teachers, each one with the own style. We also really appreciate the fact that the children get out and run and play outside almost every day. Although this does mean they come home "dirty" some days, it also means they come home happy. We especially like that our children are able to progress at their own pace. Our oldest is officially starting second grade, but his reading and math are at a much higher level and he is encouraged to work above his grade level. We are really glad we found Cardinal for our children.

Posted September 4, 2012

As a father all I have to say is thank you!!! CMS was not only my son's school, it was, and still is his home, he is now to old to attend CMS but he still misses his teachers and the nice feeling he got about going to school at CMS. He is a great student, and according to him, with his own words, everything is because of CMS. His teachers gave him great opportunities to do more and to have challenges that make him learn and be responsible of his own learning and actions. I will never be grateful enough with CMS, they will always be home for us.

Posted September 4, 2012

We are proud to be sending our third child to Cardinal tomorrow. After four years there, we have been pleased to see our children grow academically and personally. They are thriving under the attention they are getting from a smaller school. We know and trust the school, faculty and staff. Our kids love playing in the playground, which we ve found safe and well kept, and environmentally friendly. As another parent commented to us, it's one of the best kept secrets in Prince William County!

Posted September 4, 2012

We have been part of the CMS family since 2003 and will continue for the next three years. We love the school because we see the positive effect on our kids. My two sons have joined the school since they were 3 years old. Their academic and social development is a product of the commitment, dedication and personal attention provided by every member of the staff. I have recommended the school to all my friends and will continue to do so. My oldest has moved on to Middle School and is an outstanding student there. Thank you Mr. G and the entire CMS staff.

Posted September 4, 2012

I have 3 children starting CMS tomorrow. One in first grade and 2 in pre-school. We started at CMS when my oldest was 3.After his first year, our family was relocated overseas. When we decided at the very last minute to come back to the US a year later, we moved back to Woodbridge ONLY after calling the Head of the school and securing places for the kids for the school year (that started a few days later). This school is a very special place. The facility may not be state of the art and yes, my little ones have dirty faces at the end of the day but this place is a gem. My sons kindergarten program was much more advanced then that of the local (and very good) public schools. The teachers are fantastic. The whole staff is fantastic. It is small, for sure, but it is truly a family. The curriculum for the elementary grades is quite demanding but the school does an excellent job of encouraging the kids to succeed. I am beyond pleased with CMS. I am sad to hear there are families that feel they don't belong. Maybe we, as parents, need to do a better job at reaching out to new families. PS playground dirt is good dirt and the least of my worries when it comes to parenting.

Posted September 4, 2012

We have been part of the CMS family since 2005 and could not be happier. The students, parents, teachers, and staff are outstanding. Through good times and bad, the amount of support from all is above and beyond. I couldn't be more pleased that my children come home filthy - they're happy and they get enough exercise to be tired out at the end of the day. And the shredded rubber tire "mulch" is a great way to recycle!

Posted September 4, 2012

As a former student as well as employee, my time at Cardinal has inspired me to become a Montessori teacher myself. I am currently a senior in college and an Honors student. I have an overwhelming need to say that the negative reviews that have been posted recently are utterly ridiculous and, quite frankly, shocking. The school is small, but the allegations of poor plumbing and lack of bathroom supplies are completely false. The "dirty tires" that are on the playground are pieces of recycled rubber that are an economical and safe alternative to other materials such as mulch that can result in splinters and other injuries. It is absurd to expect the staff to catch every tiny incident that occurs between children, but students are under a watchful eye and completely safe at all times. Yes, when I attended, I came home dirty sometimes, as do the kids today. But, you know what? I was happy, and I would not have changed a thing. I was not traumatized, nor did I lose out on learning about hygiene or cleanliness. Today I am a well-adjusted and successful young adult, and I would never have made it where I am today without the love and support of my CMS family.

Posted July 25, 2010

My children have been going to CMS for the last 7 years from 2.5 years old through 4th grade. Every teacher we have had at the school has been outstanding!! I have one child that is very studious and two who are active and more challenging to engage. They have all done wonderfully both academically and socially at CMS. The school develops very strong writing and math skills!! The school is also very supportive of working parents with a great before and after care program.

Posted July 8, 2010

I love CMS! We applied to the school on the recommendation of friends who have a daughter who currently attends the school and a toddler who will begin at age 3. My daughter has been attending the school since June and absolutely loves it. Because she is the youngest child at the school, I was concerned. However, Mr. G, the teachers and staff have made my daugher, husband and I feel so very comfortable. The communication and partnership between teachers and parents is excellent! Every single day at drop off and pick up Mr. G would personally give me an update about my daughter as would the teachers and staff. My daughter attended Lola's Place at the Boyd School for a year (from 18 months) and Bright Horizon's Innovation Station (from 9 months). Both of which have excellent programs. However, CMS is my favorite! Like family.

Posted January 15, 2009

This is my daughter's final year at CMS, and our family couldn't have had a better experience anywhere else. In the public school system, my daughter would have been lost because of challenges she faces with focusing and retaining information, but Mr. G, Mrs. Elwing, and the other faculty ensure that she is learning and exceling everyday. If your child needs additional help and extra attention, they will receive it at CMS. The tuition is very reasonable, especially when you consider the level of dedication and attention your child receives. Other parents have asked why I insited on CMS, and I tell them it is because Mr. G guarantees his students will learn and acheive their personal best. He is a brilliant man, his door is always open for parents, and his students are leaps and bounds above other public and private schools. CMS is the best PWC has to offer!

Posted November 12, 2008

Without a doubt the best school we have seen or heard around this area. My wife and I are really lucky we chose to send both our kids here and have been going there for the past 3 years since moving from CA. The staff, especially the principal, Mr. G are the greatest. His dedication to the kids are phenomenal. He is there from the time the school opens (from 6am to 6:30 pm, I know 'coz my kids are the first ones there!) till they close. I don't know where he gets his energy since i never see any emty cans of redbull:) But seriously, my kids have benefitted tremendously from his dedication to their education and now the sky's the limit on their potential once they graduate from the school.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Nonsectarian
Associations
  • AMS

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Montessori

• Computer lab
  • Library

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

1424 G Street