No rating

Evangel Christian School

Private | PK-12 | 230 students

Student diversity

Living in Woodbridge

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $210,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,500.

Posted July 8, 2014

My son just finished 3rd grade at ECS and he had this to say at the end of the year, "I love Evangel. I want to be a Christian teacher. It's like having a 2nd family." That's from a student's perspective. As a parent, we knew that our son's education would be met soon after the tour. The faculty member who gave us the tour actually listened to what we had to say about our son. She is well experienced - as a mother and administrator! The two teachers that our son had for 2nd & 3rd grade had differing teachering syles, but their Christian character was such a great example to our son. He turns to prayer when he is struggling with something and stops what he is doing (whether it's on his DS or playing with his friends) when someone gets hurt or an ambulance goes by. His standardized test scores were great - one indication that the curriculum is up to par. One suggestion for the elementary grades is to have one more educational field trip. Other than that, we have had an overall great experience there.

Posted March 18, 2014

Before you even consider this school understand that it is extremely small. The graduation class of 2013 only had six seniors. The teachers try their best to get the appropriate information and leave the children to a good Christian education. But with the lack there of in the financial department seriously so much they can do. There is now a bunch of "basketball guys ". The most of us don't really care for you bring a lot of my Christian activities to the school. Especially thanks to their bullying head coach who enforces many rules on these children that they shouldn't really have to deal with at this age. The school is full of many socially awkward children who have been sent here because they have disorders. The workers here seem to be slightly prejudiced and refused to say good morning to certain students. I had to take my daughter out of the school well she actually got expelled. She was so unhappy with school that she didn't think I'd rather not say to make sure she couldn't return. I would not recommend this place.

Posted December 12, 2013

My son has attended ECS in Dale City for just over 3 years and we love it. He continues to receive a wonderful education and is excelling in academics. We also appreciate their effort to teach their students proper manners. He adores his teachers and looks forward to seeing them. They are a small school which is great for our son since he has a Sensory disorder and smaller classrooms are more appealing to him. The teachers and staff have also been wonderful in supporting him during the time he was diagnosed and since in understanding his triggers, etc. We so appreciate the events the school holds to involve the parents and how open they are to parental involvement! Their religious education is great, my son is constantly reciting verses and singing songs that he learns in class and when we read his bible at night he immediately recognizes the stories. We are continually impressed with the school's mission for growth, higher education and making the school a fun place for the younger children (we can speak to that age group since we are more familiar with this program). Great school, we would definitely recommend it! Submitted by a parent

Posted March 9, 2013

My children have attended Evangel Christian School for several years now and I have to say that it has been a sanctuary in a world that grows more and more out of control every day. The academic programs are challenging, sports are offered year-round, and the fine arts program is outstanding. Teachers on-staff are willing to give private music lessons and art coaching. Most importantly my children are fed spiritually by teachers who really try to know them, understand them, and guide them in light of God's Word. Leadership through the Principal and Pastor is Christ-centered. I understand that they are putting in a school-grade playground this summer that will greatly enhance the school's facilities for the students.

Posted April 27, 2011

After moving to Virginia one year ago and letting my 3 children attend public school for 6 months, Evangel has saved us all! The teachers are wonderful and caring and provide one on one attention to each of their students! The strong Christian leadership from the staff shines through day after day. The pre-school teachers love their kiddos like they are their own! The pre-k 3 is so highly recommended, next year they are having 2 pre-k 4 classes to accommodate all returning students! It is a small but dedicated school who welcomes everyone and lets God's Glory wash upon all. I highly recommend this Christian school.

Posted April 27, 2011

As a military wife I have lived all over the world. My daughter was in several school as we traveled. We enrolled her in ECS when she was in the 6th grade. She remained there until she graduated. She went on to graduate from college in 4 years. She had no problem academically. She was more than prepared for college. Today she is a highly respected employee of a well known defence contractor. Her brother started at ECS in the 1st grade and also graduated from there. He went on to a major university and excelled academically. Today he is also a productive member of his community. . ECS more than prepared them for life in the world. I can't reccommend the school strongly enough. I have taught in several Christian schools and this school has a solid, Godly staff.. My kids both KNOW and love Jesus Christ with their whole beings. I'm not sure where they would be without the solid Biblical, and accedemic foundation they received at Evangel Christian School.

Posted February 7, 2011

I had my children in Evangel for several years, and I would not recommend this school. Not all is bad with Evangel; the school has potential to be a great school. It offers a great location and is the lowest priced private Christian school in the area. Some of the teachers are precious treasures and great assets to the school. The school lacks overall leadership, organization, unity and vision. Many of the school staff & teachers have a Pharisee like haughty attitude that is very prevalent. They overall lack the love that Christians are supposed to have and display. (Matt 23:13-29) The traditions of man seem to have made void the Word of God is many aspects of the school, and you can feel the disunity and tension among the staff in regards to this. Overall I would have to say that the school has an un-healthy spiritual atmosphere and until they can correct some of these issues I would not recommend this school.

Posted November 14, 2007

This school is great. The teachers are awesome.

Posted October 10, 2006

I attended Evangel for my 8th-10th grade years and really enjoyed the students and the teachers. The Christian atmosphere was very good, I was constantly challenged in my faith in chapel, in classes, and by other students. It is a smaller school, so it takes a bit longer for the other students to accept you, but once you have found some friends they are always there for you and are strong Christians. The teachers are very helpful, always available, and care for each student. I highly reccoment this school to anyone looking for a good Christian evironment.

Posted April 3, 2006

I do not recommend sending a child to Evangel. They are not up with the times. The elementary children are not exposed to computers and several teachers are not walking in the life of Christianity. There should be equal amount of time for elementary children to have balance between homework and family gathering. This is not the case at Evangel. They are more focus on what their statistic not how the child is being well balance.

Posted December 19, 2005

As a parent, I am proud to say that this is an excellent school that emphasizes quality education integrated with a strong Christian curriculum. My son enjoys the curriculum and learning here while maintaing the honor roll. The faculty is attentive to both students and parents. I made the right choice admitting my son to this school! I highly recommend this school to any family.

Posted August 28, 2005

I graduated from Evangel in 2004 and to be honest I would never send my child there. I attended that school from k4 through graduation and each year the schools christian testimony worsened. The teachers are fine, if you find one that sticks around for more than a year or two. I personally do no feel that Evangel is a that gives it's students a good example of how Christians are supposed to be.

Posted March 2, 2005

I graduated from Evangel five years ago. ECS prepared me for college and beyond. Not only were the teachers doors always open, but the student body was small, allowing for more one on one attention. ECS offers a variety of sports, art competitions, music program, newspaper, yearbook, foreign languages and most importantly, a Biblically based education. Sure, ECS has rules and a dress code that many dislike, but that's life. It's those rules that helped shape me into the person I am today. You should prayerful consider sending your child to Evangel. It will likely be one of the best life changing decisions you ever make. And yes, ECS does have a security system now.

Posted February 4, 2005

My son began attending Evangel Christian School in the 3rd grade. Coming from another private setting, the quality of his education at Evangel has excelled him greatly. Evangel's academic program outshines many other schools in that area. It seems their high school program is well supported and offers good academic involvement, but there does not appear to be activities other than basketball, music, and the arts supported by the school.

Posted January 19, 2005

Evangel has made a world of difference in my son's education. The teachers and staff really work with you to help your child acheive. The music program is the best I have seen, and they do offer many sports and activities for the older children. The older children also offer tutoring services to the younger children after school. There is before and after care as well that is very convinent. I have not heard of any school break-ins this year. I highly recommend.

Posted August 22, 2003

Evangel is a great school for elementary and middle school. The teachers there are excellent and one on one time spent is helpful. As for the high school, it lacks extra activities and limits the capabilities of students by only offering 2 electives. Class sizes are moderate. Safety? There have been several break-ins to the school during off hours due to lack of a security system.
—Submitted by a former student

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

Associations
  • AACS
Fax number
  • (703) 680-7268

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious