Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Just right (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Ineffective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered School leader (1 response)

Grateful to: School leader

Posted September 17, 2015
Assistant Principal and Principal knows just about every kid by name. I don't know how they remember but I applaud them for that. Also thanks to the staff who work the pickup lines everyday. The pickup lines are horrible and they are out there everyday after school working the lines. Sorry you guys have to do that job but hey someone has to....so thanks!

Posted September 17, 2015
My 4th grader has been at Parks from K-4. My 2nd graders from K-2. There is a bit of high turnover in staff. The administration is "big" on academics, discipline & ensuring each kid is treated fairly. Its a strict environment where kids are expected to excel. If your child is self motivated, the better he/she will do here. You 100% have to work with your kids at home & stay on top of their academics or they may have a hard time here. The admin holds a ceremony every quarter to award the kids for their hard work. Parental involvement is extremely high. All of the friends that I've made since moving to Woodbridge/Dale City, I've met by going to different events at the school. The school is a health conscious environment &, in my opinion, frowns on unhealthy food items in the kids lunchboxes or carried into the school. They don't allow cake or cookies to celebrate birthdays either. The school is kept clean with lively & colorful walls, the cafeteria is clean & well operated, the office staff & nurse is organized, & the security is good. I have not experienced discrimination or negative treatment here. One thing that I don't like about the school is that there aren't a lot of after school activities. Mostly girl scouts and boy scouts. There are no sports leagues, etc. When I was in elementary, we had elementary sports leagues, majorettes, & cheerleading all held at the school after school hours. If you want your kids to be involved in extracurricular activities you have to go outside of the school and sign them up in a city, community, or district league. With the amount of land attached to many of the schools, the high number of kids, high parental involvement, and the close proximity to other nearby schools with large land lots, I would think that having after school leagues & other schools to compete against would be doable. Maybe there is a stipulation that wont allow it. Additionally, the zone for the school is a nice, family oriented, & diverse area in Dale City with single family homes & townhomes so many of the same students that my oldest daughter started with & befriended are still here. The school is diverse BUT the staff is not (I'm not sure why that is) however, the staff seems to have great control of the children. No school is perfect but this is a really great school. My kids are challenged here and overall they're doing well so I give 5 stars.

Rosa Parks Elementary School 3

Posted September 02, 2015
Rosa Parks ES was a good fit for one of my children- an easy, bright child who is self-motivated. For two of my other children, both Special Ed students, it was a poor fit. They are a very regimented and somewhat strict environment, and for a child with processing, ASD or other special education needs, it's not supportive or flexible enough. The individual teachers vary in their approaches, of course- and some of better than others. The music program is wonderful, and the music instructor, Mr. Bernstein, is gifted at working with children- even children with challenges. The school presents well; the facilities are clean and new and bright. The office staff is sometimes hostile and not accommodating to parents, and this was off-putting on many occasions. If the tenor of the administration could find a way to be more flexible and less stringent, this could be a very successful school. Alas, for us, it was a mixed bag. If you have children with special needs or an IEP/504/BIP, exercise caution and stay on top of everything. Expect bumps.

Teacher effectiveness: Ineffective

Posted September 02, 2015
Again, different children, different results. My Special Ed students were both utterly failed by this school, to the point PWCS recommended we pull them and do home study. My bright, advanced placement child did very well.

Develops grit: Disagree

Posted September 02, 2015
No, I found the overly-strict interpretation of rules and focus on obedience as opposed to encouraging critical and creative thinking to be crushing, and not inspiring or "grit" producing.

Posted November 25, 2014
One of the best schools. They treat you in a very personal way. The principal and her assistant know each name of the kids. Staff make you feel at home. Discipline is great and they know how to challenge kids. Technology is updated. Overall, a great place to bring your children!

Posted May 28, 2014
Not sure what or who that previous parent is complaining about but my daughter has been at Rosa Parks for 4 years now and we love it there. The teachers that we have had and the ones I know are wonderful and have always praised and helped my daughter. Not sure how she can take a bad experience with one and talk bad about the whole school. I would recommend Rosa Parks to anyone, we love the staff and administration and could tell you many great things about them!

Rosa Parks Elementary School 2

Posted March 18, 2014
This school was a horrible experience for our family. The students have no freedom at any point during the day, the teachers regularly tell the students how bad they are on a daily basis without ever acknowledging good behaviour. The guidance counselor especially bears caution as she levels unfounded accusations which cause much harm.

Posted February 21, 2014
My child attended Rosa Parks from 2nd grade through 5th. We were very pleased with the whole experience. Prior to Rosa Parks my child attended Pattie, and I can say first hand they are light years apart. Rosa Parks staff is great, teachers are kind and responsive, my student and I both love it.

Posted January 06, 2012
Rosa Parks elementary school is EXCELLENT! The past principal and current principal both have put their hearts into this school to make it what it is today. You can feel the warmth when you walk into the school. The staff knows each child by name and that is very impressive. My daughter always achieves honor roll and has learned so much in her 4 years at Rosa Parks. Thank you Rosa Parks staff for giving my daughter an awesome start.

13446 Princedale Drive, Woodbridge, VA  22193
Last modified Rosa Parks Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Rosa Parks Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 31 reviews. Top