Woodbridge, VA

Mary G. Porter Traditional 4

Posted July 31, 2015
I agree with most of the posts so far. Don't personally like the principal, but haven't had to deal with her. It's a great environment for children to be in from 1st to 8th grade. The school becomes like an extended family. I am very bothered by the loss of so many very good teachers. I was looking forward to my younger children having some of the teachers my oldest daughter had but they've all left! I like the fact that it's very multicultural and accepting of all students. Need to enhance music, art, specialty programs. My 3rd grader this year had NO homework. I don't agree with that!

Mary G. Porter Traditional 3

Posted June 10, 2015
Porter checks off all of the boxes that the state likes to see, but ignores the human relationship aspect that a school needs to thrive. If you want your child to be an excellent test-taker, submit yourself to the painstaking process of applying. If you want your child to be well-rounded and able to cope with the additionally challenges that high school, college, and life bring... you may want to explore other options. If you are a teacher applying to work at this school, take warning. You will have excellent students to work with, and families that are willing to throw you support, but this is overshadowed by the strain put on you by administration. Between 8-12 teachers have quit every year for the past several years. It's alarming that PWCS has not looked into this issue - very clearly shows how much they put test score value over the well-being and mental health of their employees.

Posted May 29, 2014
I wish that the lottery system was public to ensure that it is fair. It is very difficult to get into, even for upcoming 1st graders.

Mary G. Porter Traditional 2

Posted May 23, 2014
This school is good on paper. My children are very good at taking tests, and they are academically successful, but the atmosphere at Porter borders on clinical. I have heard from several staff members that the principal is difficult to work for, and having had our first issues requiring her attention (in 6 years) I find that to be true as a parent as well. Porter checks all of the boxes, but is far from a nurturing environment. The good thing with a single, powerful leader is that they can get results, but the only results that seem to matter are the test score the kids get. The format for this school has amazing potential, but that's where it ends.

Posted February 18, 2014
I have been affiliated with this school for 6 years now and it has been a great place for my child who started in 1st grade and is currently in 6th grade (middle school). I have a child that's in 3rd grade at this school too and it has been an ongoing success academically and socially. No, school is perfect, but Mary G. Porter comes pretty close to perfection as far as my children academic needs are concerned. I'm confident that the quality of education they are receiving will promote future success in every avenue of their chosen profession. It is a school of choice and I'm grateful they have the opportunity to attend this school.

Posted December 01, 2013
I love this school my son has been getting all pass advanced on his SOL's ever since he joined this school.

Posted March 31, 2013
I am very happy that my kids are accepted at porter. I love this school not only my kids. My kids are very advanced and thanks to the great teachers and the wonderful principal whom my kids love an adore. Thank you porter allowing us to be part of your family. We will continue working together to the best of our kids. Excellent school in reading, math, writing, s.studies and science. Looking for the best private and public don't hesitate put your child at porter.

Posted March 02, 2013
I HATE THIS SCHOOL! The principal is very picky. She has her favorites. My student is going to godwin noe.

Posted January 05, 2013
This is our first year at Porter and we could not be more pleased with our experience. Our 3rd grader was pulled in the lottery and our 6th grader was wait listed, but did get in a week after school started. The excellent reputation and test scores are what drew us to apply initially, but the extracurricular activities are a huge plus. Our 6th grader doesn't enjoy contact sports but was very excited about being on the golf team, and then he also signed up for and loved archery. He is also taking robotics now then woodshop next semester as elective courses. The middle school he's zoned for doesn't offer any of these (they do offer robotics and woodshop, but only as after school clubs). Our 3rd grader is singing in the chorus and can't wait to be old enough to play volleyball. They both absolutely love Porter and as a parent I'm very glad they're there. My only regret is that we didn't move to PWC and apply for Porter sooner.

Posted June 14, 2012
I think all parents need to know that 12 of our teachers are leaving this year. Some which have been there since the beginning of porter. I am horrified and shocked and I am considering taking my children out. Something is wrong here.

Mary G. Porter Traditional
15311 Forest Grove Drive, Woodbridge, VA  22191
Last modified Mary G. Porter Traditional is a Public school that serves grades 1-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Mary G. Porter Traditional Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 67 reviews. Top