Yorktown, VA
Students enrolled: 1,327

Posted November 28, 2014
I understand that allowing only seniors to drive and park at GHS is a problem. My adult children graduated from GHS in 2001 and 2005. I didn't like the fact that kids who were not seniors but were involved in the program that allowed them to work half and day and attend school half a day. I am hoping they have not allowed these students to continue taking up parking places. There were exceptions to the rules when my kids attended which I thought was wrong. With that being said, I do understand that they only have a limited number of parking spaces. I did find it quite upsetting when our son went to Virginia Tech and we didn't have to pay $ 100.00 for a parking place. It was only about $ 25.00. I think $ 100.00 is way too much unless they have fixed that parking lot some.

Posted November 27, 2014
Being a new Grafton family we are often impressed with the positive attitudes and quick problem solving of the staff. The students have been welcoming also. My only issue is that only Seniors are permitted to park at school. There are exceptions but the rule is only Seniors. Having a student to has after school activities (that are often not finished when planned) who also has full access to a car can cause scheduling issues for our family.

Posted May 15, 2014
I have had 2 children in this school and have been happy with the school. I think communication could be a l little better, especially from the Guidance dept. I do think the parents need to hold their children more accountable then the teachers and not expect them to be spoon fed which seems to be more the way in the US then Europe sadly..

Posted May 14, 2014
It is no longer the excellent school it was in the past. Non communicative teachers, flippant attitudes, political through and through. The morale is horrible with the staff, they pick and choose who they are "nice" to and treat most students like numbers, unless you are amongst the "chosen" few. YC teachers are so angry about not getting raises that it shines through, nobody cares anymore. The few that do are amazing to remain and hang on in such a poor environment. Many seem like they are just "doing time" there. So sad, it used to be a great place. :( They seem to focus on how things "look" instead of making things happen and improving. Not holding staff accountable for being lazy and not doing their job well is a major problem. The Students are "allowed" to treat others unkindly, the students that are kind are overlooked unless they are "politically special" and in the "know". There is so much wasted education time with teachers who do not care. The teachers that do care are struggling. I will say the guidance counselors are amazing! Friendly and helpful. Awesome music program! Good sports teams,some really awful coaches, chosen politically, not for their ability

Grafton High School 1

Posted April 13, 2014
I wish I would have known how bad the environment was before sending my children there.

Grafton High School 2

Posted January 31, 2014
My son graduated from Grafton last year. It is not a school that I recommend to anyone the does not have an over achiever unless you can buy their way to success here. It is very cliquish. Your children will have a difficult time at this school unless they excel at sports, or scholastically. This is a school that is concerned with prestige. If you cannot add to that, you are a hinderance in their eyes. Choose this school based on what your child can add or go elsewhere.

Posted December 17, 2012
After attending Grafton for all four years, I would have to say overall that my experience was negative. The school places too much emphasis on athletics, and students involved in the arts or other types of activities rarely receive recognition. Being in the band and having several excellent teachers throughout the years was the only parts of Grafton I have fond memories of. Most of these teachers have moved away now. Over time, the staff has become more apathetic and less caring.

Grafton High School 4

Posted May 06, 2012
I'm a freshman at Grafton and I have to agree there are alot of stuck up people but if you get involved in activities that you like, you will find true friends here. Majority of the stuck up people are the "popular" groups but they don't amount to much of the school. the rest of the school is very nice. But you have to be tough to make it through this school.

Posted March 28, 2012
i was very disappointed in GHS after good experiences with GBES and GMS. All of a sudden teachers dont communicate with parents, dont respond to phone calls or problems. My child has a problem with a 10th grade English teacher and we were pretty much ignored on it. Staff just seems not to care much.

Grafton High School 4

Posted February 26, 2012
I am a freshman, and i love this school. I like the people i am friends with but if you havnt moved here from middle school, than your going to find a hard time making friends. People are so clique orientated and no one really talks to new people. The teachers are okay, but the guidance counclers rock! If you were every bullyed you could talk to anyone and they would help.

Grafton High School
403 Grafton Dr, Yorktown, VA  23692
Last modified Grafton High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Grafton High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 41 reviews. Top