Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Somewhat effective (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Staff member (1 response)

Develops grit: Neutral

Posted May 29, 2016
I don't think this is something that is taught in ANY school anymore. I don't believe it's gair to judge one school when no one else is teaching it either.

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted May 29, 2016
They raised money to support a fellow elementary student in his fight against cancer, participaye in Angel Tree at Christmas, and give multiple opportunities to express generosity and compassion.

Posted May 29, 2016
YES has had an extreme amount of growth especially compared to the surrounding elementary schools in the district. There have been some issues directly related to the rapid growth. Despite that, parents have been vocal in advocating for the school to the School Board and the Board of Supervisors. The parents are not letting our school suffer without a fight. While I have been disappointed this particular year with my students' teachers, I have gotten involved to alleviate the pressures and attempt to be a part of the solution. There is an extremely high concentration of military kids here and the school does a wonderful job of supporting them. The PTA is extremely involved and active. It will only remain so if new parents continue to be involved and get in the school.

Develops respect: Neutral

Posted March 11, 2016
Not sure what to say as far as respect... I mean some of the students don't really respect their teachers and they also don't respect each other, so go figure...

Develops empathy: Disagree

Posted March 11, 2016
Not really the place for a child that just moved into the area. They do not make your child feel welcomed nor do they teach or encourage other children to make someone who's new feel welcomed. Totally different from where we came from. Thank goodness it is very temporary.

Yorktown Elementary School 3

Posted March 11, 2016
I say average because I don't want to say it is totally bad. We are new to VA, and so far, this school does not excite my son. It doesn't feel like a grade school. Nothing done to excite the students with their education. No real recognition for doing well, there aren't any award assemblies for the kids that do well. So there's very little thrive in these kids. Every time I go to pick up my child the office is always full with kids that get into trouble. It's because they're bored. The only way for them to get any recognition is by doing wrong things. I don't like this school for my kid. I'm looking forward to the end of the school year. I will place him in a different (better) school next year. ;)

Grateful to: Student

Posted March 11, 2016
To my son for tolerating the inconvenience of being surrounded by peers, teachers, and some admin., that haven't made him feel welcomed since he started here. I can't wait for the end of this school year so I can place him at a better school.

Yorktown Elementary School 1

Posted March 06, 2016
This use to be a great school but, has been going down hill. Lots of new construction in this area has made this school overcrowded. I would avoid this school at all cost!

Posted November 16, 2014
This is a wonderful school. The staff truly cares. Safety is important to them and the children are kept safe by practicing drills of all kinds.

Posted July 02, 2014
YES has provided a wonderful experience for my son and our family! He has had a fantastic K and 1st grade teacher and I have heard nothing but wonderful things about the 2nd grade team as well. The principal and the YES staff are very welcoming and handle any problems quickly. The PTA is great and holds many great activities through out the year.

131 Siege Ln, Yorktown, VA  23692
Last modified Yorktown Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.