Posted September 10, 2014
Summit Christian Academy is a classical Christian school that trains students on how to learn rather than solely what to learn. Beginning in the grammar school years (K-6) students are given numerous opportunities to build their written and oral communication skills, serve others, and develop leadership qualities. At the Upper School (7-12th) they establish and develop their analytical thinking skills, ability to defend a position, and hone persuasive articulation and active listening aptitudes. Graduates of Summit are confident students prepared for challenges and opportunities wherever God leads them.

Posted September 09, 2014
We just started our 1st grader at Summit and love it. The school truly strives to teach for comprehension, not just simple memorization. They teach the 'classical' way without cutting corners as so many schools do these days. We've already been impressed with the small class sizes and teachers whose caring attitudes clearly show through. You can't pay enough money for a quality teacher, and we are very happy with ours. Summit is also a Christian school and this shines through. From teachers praying daily for the students to our 1st grader memorizing scripture, we know we're at the right school!

Posted August 20, 2013
This was my first year at SCA. I came from a public school, so everything was different, but a good different. There is so much less pressure, and everyone is friends with everyone. There's no reason to worry if you're sending your child there from a public school. It's great. It might be small but the things that I've learned are just amazing. The teachers are great, and so are the kids. I highly recommend Summit to you.

Posted September 27, 2012
Summit is a wonderful school. All 3 of my sons graduated from Summit, each one trained to think critically and express themselves well. The senior year culminates in a 2 week trip to Europe and a senior thesis presentation before faculty, parents, and peers. I am thankful for the education they received from this classical environment.

Summit Christian Academy - Upper School 4

Posted September 17, 2012
Summit has had quite the impact on my communication skills. In fact, I believe it has had the greatest impact on shaping my communication style. I attended Summit from Kindergarden through high school. They place an emphasis on three critical areas that have an impact on one's communication ability: Grammar, Dialect, and Rhetoric. From essentially first through sixth grade an emphasis was placed on learning the facts. From seventh through ninth grade we were taught logic and debate. This was crucial in teaching me how to determine the validity of one's arguments. From tenth through twelfth grade an emphasis was placed on application of the dialectic stage. Here we were taught speech and research. My career at Summit ended senior year after the presentation of my thesis. This thesis is the pinacle of the classical education that Summit offers. I had to pick a topic, research it, create multiple logical arguments both for and against my topic and present it to a panel of judges. Summit has given me confidence to communicate clearly and has played a large role in shaping me into who I am today.

Posted September 17, 2012
As a homeschool family, we participated in Summit excellent sports program for the past 5 years. As homeschoolers our options for JV and Varsity sports are limited since we cannot participate in public school sports. The Summit community welcomed us with open arms. We were impressed with the quality of the sports program, not only in athletics, but in the Christian character development applied throughout. What makes Summit special are the people - the students, teachers, coaches, and administration. Even through challenges, I've watched them do the right thing and do what was best for the students. I would strongly recommend Summit Christian Academy to anyone looking to build strong Christian character in their children through daily actions and applications.

Posted September 17, 2012
As a recent alum of Summit Christian Academy and a true "product" of the school (I went there for 14 years), I can honestly say that Summit was the best choice my parents made for my education. The wisdom I have acquired, the skills I've gained, and the friendships I've developed have been such an integral part of my life and overall growth as a person. I didn't really appreciate the things Summit taught me until I started college. The rhetoric and critical thinking skills that are standard at Summit are just now being taught to my peers in college. Summit taught me how to think, and not just to memorize and regurgitate information. Summit is not just about education, though. The friends I developed there are the closest friends I have and will continue to be even as we go our separate ways. It truly is a Summit Family, and the bonds made there will stay even beyond the education days. The teachers are absolutely incredible. Not only because of their teaching abilities, but also for their guidance and spiritual support. The relationships I developed with my teachers are invaluable, and I will continue to stay in touch with many of them. I'm running out of room, but CHOOSE SUMMIT!

Posted December 20, 2010
Summit Christian Academy has a number of characteristics that set it apart from other schools. The faculty is exceptional. The curriculum centers around the trivium of grammar, logic, and rhetoric. The grammar stage teaches studnets to dissect sentences and analyze paragraphs. The rhetoric stage trains them to think logically, to articulate ideas clearly, and to debate effectively. And the rhetoric stage equips them to conduct proper research and to professionally deliver their findings with confidence. And every course is taught from a decidedly Christian world-view that respects various denominations. The school's average PSAT and SAT scores validate the exceptional work that they are doing preparing students to excel in the finest colleges in the state and nation. I highly recommend this school for parents interested in excellence.

Posted August 27, 2010
I am so happy with everything about SCA. I love the familial vibe. The teachers are excellent and very approachable. All subjects are taught from a conservative, Biblical world-view, but no one denomination is touted above another. I am more and more impressed by the students I meet. They are all polite, helpful, and, well-spoken. The leadership is strong with a pervasive sense of purpose and determination. My first-grader loves school and is developing a love for learning!

Posted February 04, 2010
Excellent education for our children! Our 3 boys have been at Summit for 12 years- our eldest has graduated and is successfully attending a top-notch University. Our boys were taught to think critically, write a lot, and present! They even have to present and defend a thesis before a board to graduate. The Biblical worldview is evident throughout all the classes. Our boys have been required to study Latin (starting in 3rd grade!), logic, debate, speech, and research along with their basic studies. I am so thankful we found Summit.

Summit Christian Academy - Upper School
4209 Big Bethel Rd, Yorktown, VA  23693
Last modified Summit Christian Academy - Upper School is a Private school that serves grades 7-12
Summit Christian Academy - Upper School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 13 reviews.