Deal Middle School 3

Posted June 18, 2014
Good Academics. Poor communication between parents and teachers and administrators. So much homework my son in 6 th grade and was always A student and still is but in pre algebra and Spanish one with hard teacher. Tons and tons of homework projects quizzes and tests and sometimes on same days. Has no time for anything else. He is always stressed out and has learned to balance it with doing what he can during weekends but he loses out on family time. Has no time to himself. I can't get ahold through email, writing a letter and my son taking it to teacher, trying to call just to find out why a grade is what it is when he had an excused absence but just got the email today saying it was excused from 3 weeks ago. My son is scared to be absence even when he has to go to an appt. They do go on field trips a lot but if the teacher teaches more than just your grade. You can be counted as an unexcused absence. I have learned to watch for that because it can bring a high A down to a low A. Plus the grades are in decimals like for example 89.9 is an 89 B+ no rounding I have seen on any of my son's grades at all this year of 2013-2014.

Posted January 19, 2014
This middle school is the best in the city. It is very diverse and educational wise, it is outstanding. It is close to Tenleytown so the students can hang out after school. It also has a bus stop just across the street. The principal is currently working to add a bus shelter so students do not need to wait in the rain. We are adding a new expansion, and it should be done by next year if all goes well (I personally do not think it will be completed in time). We have many laptop and iPad carts, and four desktops in each classroom. At recess students can choose to either go outside or go to the library, except if they didn't do their homework or want to study, which in that case they can go up to ZAP (zeroes are not permitted). If the student was late to school, they will have to serve lunch detention. Deal has tons of extracurricular activities and sports for after school. On Thursdays, we have shorter class periods so that we have time for an activity at the end of the day (they vary depending on the week). Deal allows sixth graders to choose a language to take for their next three years from Chinese, French, and Spanish.

Deal Middle School 4

Posted December 11, 2013
DO NOT PUT YOUR KIDS IN A SCHOOL THAT YOU KNOW WILL NOT CHALLENGE THEM BECAUSE IT IS A CONVENIENCE FOR YOU. The school offers language courses in either Spanish, French or Chinese that a student will take for all three years and in 8th grade will travel to the country of that language. Deal offers many opportunities for its students. In conclusion, Deal is an amazing, diverse, challenging, and interesting community for every type of student. Despite its flaws and annoying dwellers, I have to say is the best school in DC. Your child will be upset about being late or missing a day at school. *** In 7th and 8th grade, make sure you stay on top of your childs progress. Make sure they get their work in on time, completed, understand their work, get to school everyday, on-time, and have great respectful relationships with their teachers, participate in class and maintain a good reputation because all of these factors add up to your child being excepted into a good high school such as School Without Walls.

Posted October 24, 2013
I am a parent of an 8th grader and our daughter also attended 7th grade for about 1/2 of the school term. My husband and I both feel that Deal does a really great job in organizing the students and keeping them in a discipline but very respectful environment. The educators and especially Principal Albright all do a fine job in not only running a tight ship but also in being very nurturing, kind, and caring toward the students at Deal. This is especially visible in how comfortable the students are with chatting and even confiding in their educators. We enjoy having Mrs. McFarland as our daughter's counselor because she indeeds has her finger on the pulse of the age group at Deal. She works with the teenagers in a way that positively impacts the student's young lives. We are very happy that our school provides so much for our family!

Deal Middle School 3

Posted June 17, 2013
Most teachers and staff are well educated and encourage me to try my very hardest. The teachers give a reasonable amount of homework. Alice Deal offers many after school clubs. The reason I did not give my middle school a higher rating is because, at sometimes this school can have it's negatives. Being a girl at Alice Deal be prepared to face the wrath of Dress Code. For girls, you cannot show any type of bra strap or cleavage. Which is harder than you think! If your bra strap is accidentally shown on your shoulder you have to change in your gym uniform or one from the lost and found! Same with cleavage, lately they told us we are going on our annual field trip to King's Dominion!!! But they bombed on the girls a day before that you are not allowed to wear bikinis. This did not bother me that much... But the reason did. It is because they do not want to see our skin and stomach, yet the boys are wearing swim trunks which shows their skin and their stomach.... Also, Deal has just received trailers for the expansion, yet the bathrooms do not have a place to dispose of female napkins, you have to walk outside to throw it away. Overall, education wise this is a good school!

Posted December 21, 2012
i go to deal, and i have to say, it is really amazing. i am in 6th grade, and the transition was easy, and all of the teachers are great. in addition to having language choices and great classes, the administrators and teachers still find time for things like winter assemblys. the only problem is some kids are really annoying and that can stop classes, but the teachers deal with it remarkably well. i totally recommend deal!

Deal Middle School 4

Posted April 28, 2012
Alice Deal Middle School is an excellent middle school, and could even be called the best public middle in D.C. The teachers are fantastic, as well as the staff, who are, despite being busy, never mind having a chat with a parent or student! The education is challenging but rewarding, leaving many students with feelings of accomplishment after each year. My own son has improved his B- average grades in elementary school to an A average at Deal! However, there are a few issues that could be resolved with a few tweaks. There are many students at Deal, and many students are not from the surrounding communities. This means bullying is a prevalent issue, along with language among students and misbehavior. But these are small issues, besides the second one. Almost every day my son comes home and as he does his homework, he tells me about how many "ghetto" students use extremely foul language, and how lots of teachers don't do anything about it. he also tells me that they talk about inappropriate subjects, which I have experience first-hand while visiting once. If teachers and staff would pay more attention to this, I believe the issue would be solved. Deal rocks!! :)

Posted April 04, 2012
im going to this school next year (7th grade) and a lot of my friends parents say this is a great school !!! they have many sports and extra-curricular activities. also their test scores are fantastic and they are a very diverse school

Posted June 08, 2011
I want to congratulate Alice Deal's all teachers, staff and principal! I have two kids in 7th and 8th grades and I am very happy with the school, because it has excellent teachers, a strong leadership and relevant academic programs that really help to my kids. Congratulations for your work!!! Jose Marquez.

Deal Middle School 0

Posted April 17, 2010
My child is a 7th grader at Deal and absolutely loves it. She is doing well academically and socially, and I am pleased with how well the school is managed. Its big, but organized in a way that enables the kids to feel part of a smaller community within the school. Her teachers and the assistant principal for her grade know her --- for good and for ill :) We have been pleased with the experience

Find the great schools in Washington Dc

Deal Middle School
3815 Fort Dr. NW, Washington, DC  20016
(202) 939-2010
Last modified Deal Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Deal Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 28 reviews.