Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

There are great supportive teachers. The principle interact with the students a lot in school activities and such. Very awesome, loving teachers I must say.

Amount of homework: Disagree

Way too much homework. Some even a project or infinished project. I would like them to take homework a notch down a bit cause homework this and homework that doesn't give the students time to just relax and just study instead how work, work ,work.

I went there in 6th grade and it was average. The teacher are very supportive. The diversity is okay some Asians, few Hispanic, and mostly African American. School food there was YUCK! I recommend you bring your own lunch. It needs some renovation but still manages. I'm also going there in 7th grade this year and hope it to be more diverse and renovated. Overall, the school was Okay to Good. (AVERAGE)

As a previous employee in the school, I can honestly say that this school and its administrator is completely flawed whose actions are protected by the Chancellor. I have seen this Principal humiliate students in the auditorium in the presence of their peers, grab students in a harsh manner by their arms, send students to in-school suspension for days for wearing the wrong colored shoes, intentionally violate student IEPs and laws by placing them in self-contained classes, lie to parents regarding student needs, progress and behavior, as well as bully teachers into quitting. This school has the highest staff turnover in DCPS, averaging 10 new staff members, 7 or more being teachers each year. In addition to this, teachers disproportionately resemble the student demographics in the building. Furthermore teachers are not allowed to use DCPS issued text-books and are evaluated on their usage on content material obtained from the internet. If I hadn't worked at the school, I would not believe the continuous unethical practices that occur on a daily basis; however, these violations occur on a regular basis because parents have no other middle school option in the SW community and because Principal Gordon is personal friends with the Chancellor, Kiya Henderson.

As a leader and parent I am upheld to a higher standard of conduct and discipline. These are also criteria s I expect from teacher(s) at Jefferson Middle School. By yelling, criticizing, and embarrassing my student in the company of her peers will seriously and negatively affect her self esteem and academics. For the teacher(s) at Jefferson Middle School who continues to practice and run their classroom in this way should expect very little in way of success from a student. It is very difficult to defend you in the areas of respect when you lack giving it.

This is a very good school I myself attended Jefferson Middle School. When Graduated in 2008 it was hard to say goodbye to a good School. I had fun when I was there.

the teacher are not lazy,they work hard to make sure we learn,they add fun. This was a staement from my chid who has attended Jefferson for the 7th and 8th grade. I as a parent choosen to display my sons opion,because of his quick response,when ask,I am busy parent,so I dont get to be apart Jefferson,but I am apart of my son,and i see the difference,dispite that I am not there in every PTA,Jefferson has made every effort to keep me in form,by email,or phone.

My son attends Jefferson and enjoys the fact that it is a science and technology school. They offer robotics club, chess club, digital photography and more for their after-school programs. The school is going through transition with a new principal, but I believe the changes being made are good overall. The teachers are attentive to the students from my experience.

Mym son is in the 7th grade and we love it. He really likes his teachers and the 7th grade vice principal is great. She really understands kids and seems to work well with my son's teachers. The other day my son stated that Ms. Waller walks around to each of the classes to ensure 'academic excellence'. I really like the school.

This school has some serious management issues. The administration is very nice but seems to have a big problem getting the school into a permanent schedule. My son has informed me that his schedule is being completely mixed around for no apparent reason 7 weeks into school. My biggest concern is that he said one of his classes is now being held in a very small room in the basement of the school. There's barely enough room to fit all the desks and some students have to sit on the floor. There's one tiny window and they can't even hear the bell or announcements. He's pretty sure it's because the current teacher cannot control the class and the administration decided that they could not have class in the auditorium. Seems to me they are playing the out of sight, out of mind game instead of addressing the problem.

Last modified Jefferson is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.