Posted May 05, 2014
I love Orr. The teachers and support staff really care about the children's "over all" education. My daughter has attend Orr for the last 5 yrs and she loves I exspecialy the after school and art programs. My youngest daughter now attends Orr pre-k. They made the transition easy for her. I love the teachers and staff except the new principal. I have never met her she's not inclusive to the school. My main conerns are not only do she believe that we're not worth her time but she wants to cut out all the art, music and other programs. This not what our children need. We at Orr don't want her there. She is detrimental to our children's education and future.

Orr Elementary School 3

Posted April 18, 2014
Orr ES is a welcoming place with concerned, helpful teachers, administrators and parents. All of them look out for each other and try to meet the needs of each individual student.

Posted October 28, 2013
Orr is a good school. The staff seems to be on one accord. The students seem happy. As a parent I am happy with my children's overall educational experience.

Posted September 20, 2013
Continued from the previous post: As for the homework, my 5 year old gets so much that I hardly have enough time to help him with all of it. Mrs. Obama recently visited the school because it is a model for the healthy eating program (not sure of what it's called.) Yes, I agree that the kids need to get across the street safely: They need another crossing guard for the middle of the street to help the kids across and the current corner crossing guard has made mention of this to me so they are working on that). I also agree that the classrooms should have doors but I also don't really see it as a real barrier to education because the teachers do actually care and teach the kids. Many parents love this school (I know because I inquired from parents of kids who attend before I chose the school and while my son has been attending, I talk to other parents there). And my son absolutely loves going to Orr!

Posted September 20, 2013
I completely disagree with the reviewer who stated that "Orr is a disgrace to the public school system." My son is in his second year at Orr and he loves going to school everyday. The teachers regularly communicate with the parents and he gets a lot of homework! I see staff members close to the entrance all the time that make sure the kids are safe and doing what they are supposed to do. The staff members I always see are: Mr. Ray (who's outside a lot also during arrival and departure times), Ms. Patton, Ms. Hinkle, the security guard (usually Ms. Wilson), Ms. Thomas, Ms. Turner, Ms. LaFortune, and some others whose names I don't know. Also, the parent involvement is very high. I see a lot of the same parents all of the time who know each other and are involved, regularly volunteering. My son and I both like Orr. The only reason I don't give it 4 stars is that I think the kids could learn more of a variety of subjects like foreign language, science and history. They are looking to make improvements, however they are working from a DCPS budget.

Posted September 07, 2013
Great changes are taking course as we speak. New leadership and support is very strong at this school. I'm looking forward to watch this school progress and grow. Go, "Orr Jaguars". Iron Sharpens Iron

Posted August 12, 2013
Orr Elementary School is a diamond in the rough. The teachers are great! The staff provides a caring and welcoming environment for students. We go the extra mile for building the character of our future leaders.

Orr Elementary School 2

Posted December 10, 2012
This school has sooo much potential. From what I hear of people my age and older this USED to be a great school. The leadership is certainly poor. While many of the teachers and paraprofessionals do care, I have worked there, and Ms. Edwards is a bully type leader that gives very little direction and genuine kindness to students. I've seen their rap video "school is awesome" an I'm proud of the kids that did it, but the Principal puts on a show for others. She's collecting a paycheck and does not put in the work to truly improve the school. I know several other people that work there and have kids that attend. So I know what I'm talking about. Better leadership would equal a better Orr, period.

Orr Elementary School 2

Posted June 23, 2012
Orr has potential but it is failing. The leadership is poor, it is frustrating teaching in an open classroom setting and there are few consequences for students poor behavior. The bathrooms are unclean and students in the neighborhood loiter around the school in the evenings. Teachers are not supported!

Orr Elementary School 5

Posted June 19, 2012
As a former DCPS volunteer, that now has a position at Orr, I can honestly say that this is a great school. There are numerous activities for the. Students and a full time parent center to support the parents. They offer great extra curricular activities that foster learning such as GeoPlunge, a geography competion. The music department offers both vocal and instrumental training. The students can be a part of the chess club, scrabble team, cheer leading , track and basketball. Orr encourages a family environment , where the parents can be an integral part of their child's education. Come check Orr out,you will pleasantly surprised.

Find the great schools in Washington Dc

Orr Elementary School
2200 Minnesota Avenue Southeast, Washington, DC  20020
Last modified Orr Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Orr Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 22 reviews.