Posted May 12, 2014
I absolutely love Garrison. It was a great experience for my children! Their teachers were awesome! I just registered them for the 2014/ 2015 school year and I look forward to many more to come.

Posted April 02, 2014
Garrison is a great school. I attended this school as well as my oldest child. Garrison has change for the better. Its a great school for families moving into the neighborhood. I like Garrison because of all the great teachers and the principal. The only improvement would be more parental involvement.

Posted October 29, 2013
My child has gone to Garrison since she first started school in kindergarten. At first I was skeptical about the school mainly because of certain staff. I felt like they didn't have the necessary tools and experience to make Garrison number one for me but now I can honestly say what a big difference I can see with my own eyes. When they announced the school might be closing I saw the principal put a lot of effort to keep for that not to happen. I saw constantly on facebook and fliers about the closure which I think helped alot of parents to be involved. Seeing the attitude of the staff and especially the passion that you can see in the principal, I believe is what motivates the team to work hard for their students. I am happy with Garrison and I have no doubt they will be successful in the future. I look forward for my daughter's academic years at Garrison.

Posted October 24, 2013
This is our first year hear (our child is in PK). She loves it and we love the community and the motivated principal and staff. This school is going places!!!

Posted October 24, 2013
Garrison Elementary is an excellent neighborhood school. My daughter is 3 years old and started PreK-3 there this Fall. We benefit from engaged and interested teachers and staff and a diverse student body. My daughter is excited to go to school and I am grateful that there is this option in my neighborhood.

Posted October 24, 2013
We live in the neighborhood and have been very impressed with the community engagement at Garrison. The strong leadership from Principal Hill, as well as the PTA, not only helped to keep Garrison open, but is transforming every aspect of the school. Our daughter is in pre-school and is loving it. The teachers are great and there is a strong community spirit. We are proud to be part of the Garrison family!

Posted October 23, 2013
My son is in 2nd grade and has been at Garrison for four years. He is reading above grade level and excelling in math thanks to all the great teachers he's had since we've been at the school. I love that he has a very diverse set of classmates who directly mirror the urban neighborhood in which we chose to live. This year we have a full-time on-site music teacher, so orchestra was introduced as an afterschool activity for 2nd-5th graders. My son who hates anything "artsy-fartsy" now LOVES music and is learning the cello. A concert was held recently and it is amazing how quickly the students learned to play string instruments in 5 weeks. They are so proud and it adds a new level of interest and activity for them.

Garrison Elementary School 3

Posted October 22, 2013
I really like this school. Great Job, Keep up the good work. Garrison has a good parent net-work.

Posted February 19, 2013
This school has done a 180 degree turn in the last 2 years with the momentum for change lead by a small but strong and involved PTA, the hiring of a new dynamic principal and a teacher base that is experienced, engaged and developing constantly. I have 2 daughters aged 4 and 3 that currently attend PS and PK at Garrison. They are excited to go to school most ( if not every :) ) morning and be with their teachers Ms Lo and Ms Christian; the Tools of the Mind Curriculum is teaching them key concepts like self regulation and my 4 year old is beginning to read ! With field trips to Whole Foods, Sweet Greens, The Shaw Library; And Fall Festival activities, Doctor Seuss Day celebrations, my children are getting the best possible education that I can hope for.

Posted February 13, 2013
I was hesitant to have my child in any DC school (DCPS or charter) but ended up sending my son to our local elementary school, Garrison (preschool program). I have been very surprised and delighted by the quality of the education, the new principle and the PTA. This is a school that has a lot to offer and is at the tipping point of becoming amazing. On the plate for Garrison in the next two-to- three years is new programming, new fields/exterior spaces, and new interiors (just to mention a few things). All of which, are in the planning and development phases. Parents' opinions and energies are full appreciated and often implemented. Being a DCPS parent is not the easiest path to take but this is one school that has the potential to be something the system can be really proud of. I can't wait to give the school the full five stars.

Find the great schools in Washington Dc

Garrison Elementary School
1200 S Street Northwest, Washington, DC  20009
Last modified Garrison Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Garrison Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 16 reviews.