Hearst Elementary School 2

Posted November 15, 2014
The teachers are dedicated and provide my child with a quality education. The new principal at Hearst is terrible. She is turning our school into a business being run by data and numbers. I may be wrong, but the teachers this year seem unhappy with her. They have chosen to take away parent teacher conference day to teach group lessons to the parents. I want to discuss my child's individual progress. The teachers are not given a choice and this group lesson is mandatory.

Hearst Elementary School 1

Posted September 19, 2014
I am happy for those who think this is a great school. In our kids's classroom there is a lot of yelling; teacher are talking to kids with very unpleasant and harsh tone, the atmosphere is cold, not happy, as we speak with other parents we realize that kids do not want to come to school in the morning. This is very sad for our young kids.

Hearst Elementary School 4

Posted September 04, 2014
my Husband and I have been searching for a good school where our daughter would get what she needed. Hearst is the winner! her teacher is Ms. Anderson and she is such a joy. she and her aide Ms. Gilmore are very attentive to all the children. they both are 100% dedicated to the children and their success. I love the new principle as well, she's great. this school has it going on. GO OWLS!

Posted April 05, 2014
We love Hearst. We spent a lot of time selecting trying to select the right school for our child, and Hearst is that school.

Hearst Elementary School 4

Posted February 25, 2014
I don't think it's fair to judge a persons parenting skills just because they stated a teacher yelled at a student. This action by the teacher has nothing to do with a persons ability to parent but, how the teacher handles a sistuation. You can go above and beyond working with your child at home to the point of almost home schooling and sometimes sistuations still arise at school. So please don't be so quick to judge.I think the teachers at Hearst are doing a great job but, that may not be that parents experience .

Hearst Elementary School 2

Posted February 07, 2014
I would like to respond to the parent who cited one of the teachers as ignoring or yelling at students by asking that parent to examine his or her parenting skills. Parents are their children's first and most influential teachers. Too often they are failing teach their children the importance of education and proper respect for teachers. I would ask this parent how much time he or she has spent reading to or with his or her child. Does your child see you reading? Do you develop your child's math skills by playing games, allowing the child to calculate prices in the grocery store, or to help you measure ingredients in the kitchen? Do your support your child's teacher? Do you supervise your child's homework? Do you make it clear that you will not tolerate disrespectful behavior in the classroom and that there will be consequences at home for such behavior? If the school recommends additional testing or counseling do you follow-up? Education is a partnership between parent and student. You cannot expect a teacher to do his or her job and yours. Most teachers are dedicated people who want the best for their students. Too often they receive little or no support from parents.

Posted January 24, 2014
I am the principal at Hearst Elementary.I never go to blogs, but someone brought this to my attention. I find the anonimity of a blog to be somewhat cowardly. I will be up front and tell you who I am. I feel compelled to respond and invite anyone to drop by on any day and visit our great school. (Specifically, visit our 3rd grade! Two amazing teachers!) Our environment is peaceful throughout the building. Our academic programming is challenging. Our teachers are dedicated. I won't comment on my own work. Rather, I invite you to come meet me and judge for yourself. I am far from perfect, but everything I do here is done with the 300 students and 50 staff members who show up every day in mind. Come check us out!

Hearst Elementary School 1

Posted January 22, 2014
This school is not good at all, the school's principal is the main problem, then the third grade teachers are some of the worst I have ever seen. They handle the school loosely and the teachers scream at the children.

Posted September 24, 2013
I feel very lucky that we were given the opportunity to enroll our son into Hearst. With this being his first year at Hearst in pre-k we already see the dedication and commitment the teachers have to their students. We absolutely love the environment and he enjoys going to school. & by far the most parental involved school I have seen. GO OWLS!!!!!!!!

Posted July 21, 2012
HEARST Happy learners. Energetic parents. Awesome principal. Rigorous assignments. Supportive environment. Top-notch teachers. Need I say more?

Find the great schools in Washington DC

Hearst Elementary School
3950 37th Street Northwest, Washington, DC  20008
Last modified Hearst Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Hearst Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 27 reviews. Top