Washington, DC

Hearst Elementary School 1

Posted August 28, 2015
I find it hypocritical, as I read the 01/24/14 review by the principal, "I feel compelled to respond and invite anyone to drop by on any day and visit our great school." As a new family to Hearst ES, I was thrilled and happy for my child to start their local community school. Although, the construction can be an eyesore, the new addition and playground is great, which has been an incentive for my child to start a new school. Yes, we were excited, yet we didn't have a chance to enter the school building. Because during the summer in July (initial visit and a few phone calls), the principal and registration person were both on vacation and the person manning the main office (if someone was there) could not properly answer our questions or help with the enrollment documents. Is competent staffing an issue here? However, during the morning address (first day of school), the principal informed the parents not to enter the building. I was appalled, disappointed and upset that the leadership (principal) would communicate a standard. Or is this a school policy? Is Hearst a welcoming school? Does the principal (and staff) understand the sensitivity (or need training) and emotional connection of a new family wanting to walk their young child to their new classroom or meet the teacher on the first day of school? I'm disgusted. Hearst is a public school and we pay her salary (via taxes) and of the staff, who stood outside the main entry enforcing this. I began my due diligence, and "The State Board of Education of DC does not have a written policy" on such a thing; therefore it's left up to the Chancellor to set a policy, which happens to be a discretionary action if safety is a concern. Not just a random procedure to employ by Principal Jennifer Thomas to control the school and families. What an unwelcoming environment on the first day and throughout the weekday mornings. I'm beginning to reconsider Hearst ES and question if the leadership will create tactics to abuse power. Is this the right school for my family and did I make the right choice. What a first day and week :-(.

Posted July 16, 2015
I have been teaching for 15 years. I am new to the area and a new staff member at Herast. I haven't started working there yet. Every time I tell any of my teacher friends, I am working at Herast next year, I hear responses like "You lucked out" and that's a great school. As soon as I entered the school for the interview,I knew that there is a lot of teaching and learning going on in this school. Students were engaged and seemed happy. The hiring process was very professional and transparent. The principal was very professional and I felt like she sincerely cares about the children. at the same time very sweet and approachable by students, the community and staff members. Hearst is the best little school in the district. Period.

Posted July 06, 2015
Great small school--teachers and a principal that really care, a caring environment where kids learn to be citizens of the world. We have been thrilled with our experience at the school and encourage others to check it out!

Posted February 18, 2015
We love the school and the engaged parent community. My kids love going to school and the after school programs are awesome.

Posted November 23, 2014
Great staff (teaching and support) and a welcoming parent community. I love that it is a small school. Incredibly lucky to be here!

Hearst Elementary School 2

Posted November 15, 2014
The teachers are dedicated and provide my child with a quality education. The new principal at Hearst is terrible. She is turning our school into a business being run by data and numbers. I may be wrong, but the teachers this year seem unhappy with her. They have chosen to take away parent teacher conference day to teach group lessons to the parents. I want to discuss my child's individual progress. The teachers are not given a choice and this group lesson is mandatory.

Hearst Elementary School 1

Posted September 19, 2014
I am happy for those who think this is a great school. In our kids's classroom there is a lot of yelling; teacher are talking to kids with very unpleasant and harsh tone, the atmosphere is cold, not happy, as we speak with other parents we realize that kids do not want to come to school in the morning. This is very sad for our young kids.

Hearst Elementary School 4

Posted September 04, 2014
my Husband and I have been searching for a good school where our daughter would get what she needed. Hearst is the winner! her teacher is Ms. Anderson and she is such a joy. she and her aide Ms. Gilmore are very attentive to all the children. they both are 100% dedicated to the children and their success. I love the new principle as well, she's great. this school has it going on. GO OWLS!

Posted April 05, 2014
We love Hearst. We spent a lot of time selecting trying to select the right school for our child, and Hearst is that school.

Hearst Elementary School 4

Posted February 25, 2014
I don't think it's fair to judge a persons parenting skills just because they stated a teacher yelled at a student. This action by the teacher has nothing to do with a persons ability to parent but, how the teacher handles a sistuation. You can go above and beyond working with your child at home to the point of almost home schooling and sometimes sistuations still arise at school. So please don't be so quick to judge.I think the teachers at Hearst are doing a great job but, that may not be that parents experience .

Find the great schools in Washington DC

Hearst Elementary School
3950 37th Street Northwest, Washington, DC  20008
Last modified Hearst Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Hearst Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 38 reviews. Top