9-12|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)

great academics, clubs, and sports. i really love it. great location in the city five stars

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

Great teachers during my time at Gonzaga in the mid-2000s. Many are still there. Teachers focus on more than teaching one subject. The best teachers at Gonzaga were focused on producing good people to send out into the world.

Great camaraderie, kids with great attitudes, a very eclectic mix of teachers and students with different backgrounds, fantasitic sports program (top 25 in the country by Sports Illustrated), all boys, located near Union Square in DC

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

The jesuit teaching was often very effective, especially the more "strict" teachers. Sometimes the nicer ones were taken advantage of.

Amount of homework: Agree

I can't remember feeling terribly overwhelmed in high school, so I'd say just the right amount

Develops character: Agree

Gonzaga absolutely helps develop these qualities. Teachers really care about developing these qualities in students.

I am envious of my two sons' Gonzaga experience. I agree with the consensus in the previous reviews, but I'd highlight two things that aren't discussed enough: 1. Retreats. The Freshman retreat turned my oldest son from liking Gonzaga to loving it. He really bonded with his classmates. The Jr year Kairos experience was even more powerful. It got my son thinking about what kind of man he wanted to be. How could he serve others? How could he help his band of brothers? 2. School spirit. Go to any athletic competition and you'll feel it. Not just the purple clad, raucous student cheering section, but how the athletes overachieve. It was almost predictable to see the late game comeback. Or Gonzaga beating an athletically superior opponent. I think this is related to the brotherly bond that is formed in classrooms, in service projects, in retreats and yes, on the athletic fields. Gonzaga is a truly special place. I am proud to have given my boys a Gonzaga education. If you're considering Gonzaga, just go (if you get in). I guarantee that you will not be disappointed.

I never attended Gonzaga but I knew I wanted my son to attend and he did. All I can say is I'm impressed with the rigorous academics and the volunteerism. The Jesuits motto is" Men for Others" . My son absolutely loves that school and his younger sibling is rocking the purple in anticipation of one day attending the Zag and becoming an Eagle. . The word of a parent who son graduated 2 years ago. "money well spent",

I'm an alumnus, and not thrilled with the jock school that Gonzaga is today. When I attended in the 70's, the emphasis was academics, service then sports. Now it s completely the other way! Every week I get newsletters announcing another great sports win or an outstanding sport accomplishment with only one mention of academics over the past several months. Make sure your son gets on a sport program freshman year otherwise they will be marginalized. Did I say my upperclassman son has a 4.2+ GPA and is a misfit?

I loved it as a student 30 years ago and found Penn fairly easy after four years on Eye Street. I love it as a dad today, dropping my son off at the subway every morning and debating him over dinner and on the weekends. Gonzaga's really a remarkable bit of grace for our family and for the District.

Last modified Gonzaga College High School is a Private school that serves grades 9-12