No rating

St. Augustine School

Private | PK-8 | 197 students

Our school has high academic standards and we communicate Christ's teachings.

Living in Washington

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $480,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,330.

Sweep tile

Posted August 23, 2013

My daughter will be attending this school this upcoming school year. So far we are looking forward to the new year. The staff and principals have been wonderful so far. My daughter will be a 6 grader this year.

Posted May 23, 2013

My school has a religious foundation and family oriented. It has a very friendly and knowledgeable staff. The school has standard based curriculum and high testing scores. The students are very polite and respectful of each other and visitors.

Posted November 13, 2012

What makes St. Augustine Catholic School unique is its nurturing, close-knit family environment. The curriculum pushes students to their optimal level and core values such as honesty, respect and responsibility are instilled in all students so that they have the "life-skills" to be future leaders of tommorrow. Overall, I am grateful that my daughter and son attend St. Augustine Catholic School because I'm certain that their educational experience will bring out the best in them and exceed expectations.

Posted November 2, 2012

As a parent, I am so thankful to have found St. Augustine for my pre-schooler. Not only is the academic curriculum excellent, but also, and even more importantly, the environment is warm, caring and nurturing. I was looking for a school that teaches the basics like phonics and grammar, and yet is adept to our changing world. I found this at St. Augustine's Catholic School. The bonus is that the values, morals, consideration and love we are teaching our child is being reinforced and exemplified while she is in school. All this at a very reasonable tuition for what you and your child receive.

Posted October 28, 2012

The decision to place your child in a private or public school is personal. I would suggest St. Augustine Catholic School to any parent who wants their child to be in a well integrated environment on an academic, social and spiritual level for a very reasonable price. The most important investment you can make is in your child. I have spoken to other parents and have done the research as well, What St. Augustine offers is unmatched for the price. The before and aftercare is also great with varied activities that appeal to varied interests. Along with what is happening for us individually the school is continuing to blossom into a strong unit collectively. There is a strong Home School Association (HAS) and the drive of the parents to support their children and school as a whole is at a high point. Thankfully, Father Pat, Sister Gloria and the entire staff care and they continue to do everything to help our son and students overall to reach the highest level of development. The support has been there on every level and we humbly thank God for the work that is being done.

Posted October 16, 2012

I am a high school student who graduated from St. Augustine a few years ago. I always found that the teachers were there to give me extra help when I needed it. I am now attending one of the best high schools in the city, and St. Augustine helped prepare me.

Posted September 20, 2012

I am the parent of a St. Augustine School alumnus, and I also have a child who is a current student at the school. St. Augustine prepared my son for success in high school because when he had to take Algebra II as a high school freshman, he had already taken Algebra I at St. Augustine. My son is attending a very rigorous high school in DC, and St. Augustine effectively prepared him to do well.

Posted September 18, 2012

The early childhood K-3 program at St. Augustine is absolutely rock solid and phenomenal. I don t know how Sister Gloria put together such a stellar team, but it is nothing short of brilliant. For those of you who have children in Mrs. McDonald s Pre-K and Miss Latney s Kindergarten; hold on to your hearts because you are in for a real educational treat. Here s how the early childhood journey goes. Mrs. McDonald s incredible talent nurtures confident babies who become literary, mathematical and scientific blue ribbon geniuses. Yes the babies can read, manipulate numbers and conduct experiments when they leave her nurturing class! Mrs. McDonald then delivers future blue ribbon students to the extraordinarily gifted Miss Latney in Kindergarten. Miss Latney puts on the finishing touches and delivers polished young intellectuals for a phenomenal hand off to Ms. Wilson s first grade! I am now super excited about the great possibilities of first grade and what s on the horizon for St. Augustine this year. I can hardly wait to see the prodigies that will unfold under Miss Wilson s tutelage.

Posted June 29, 2012

I have three children who attend Saint Augustine in grades 1, 3, and 7th. I believe in Saint August Mission and I have confidence in the leadership of the Principal. However, some of the teachers are entrenched in their ways and are not willing to learn newer methods of teaching. What is lacking is motivation. The dullest moment at Saint Augustine is the Assembly. Its painfull to hear the students say the 'Hail Mary

Posted June 29, 2012

I am bit shocked by some of the negative comments that have been posted. As with anything you get what you put in. If your child is willing to learn then they will succeed. But if you have parents (of which there are quite a few here) who take absolutely no repsonsibility for their child's behavior and leave it to rest on the shoulders of the teachers then you get the negative comments below. I have had children attending this school for the last three years. Yes there have been issues but when presented in the right arena (parent conference) and not the hallways in front of other children you get results. There are number of parents whom I only see when there is an issue and not when the school needs their support on the front end. What I would like to see is more scholarship funding given to the students whom are excelling than the children and parents who receive funding based on living in DC or economic status whom seem to be the source of the majority of the behavior issues. This past year my children had a phenomenal year academically...4th grade and Pre-K were excellent! My children were thoroughly challenged. As GENUINE parent involvement increases the school will improve

Posted May 12, 2012

Saint Augustine Catholic School was the worst decision we made with respect to educating our child. I must say, Sister Gloria is wonderful, however, she is just one person there and seems to be influenced by the teachers. The school has a high turnover ratio for the teaching staff. The teachers seem to be the very worst of the worst. It has been a nightmare for my family. The school is disorganized and the staff members are rude and dismissive. The school has a very severe bulling problem. The school has a policy which states: parents are not allowed to go to their child's classroom, nor are they allowed to converse with their child's teacher without permission from the school. I believe St. Augustine may have once been a very good school, but that is not the case now. The teacher's are ill-equip to handle the student's. St. Augustine teacher's are inexperienced, ghetto, and have no respect for parents. They enter grades and when you, as a concerned parent, question them, they become combative. Please spear yourself and your child(ren) the pain of despair and helplessness at this school.

Posted July 8, 2011

St. Augustine School added a Fencing Club during the 2010-2011 school year, and enrollment increased 10 percent due to the school's continued strong reputation in the community. The school also employs a Resource Teacher to work with more advanced students and tutors to work with students performing below grade level individually. Ninety percent of our teachers and administrators this year had at least one Master's degree. We have a strong Catholic identity, in part through the work of the Handmaids of the Holy Child Jesus, who run our school. We welcome you to experience our family-like atmosphere.

Posted January 16, 2011

As a current 8th grader at St. Augustine School (SAS), there is a lot to be said. I attended public school for all of my life up until the beginning of the seventh grade. When I transferred to SAS, the enviromental change was overwhelming. I went from an over-protective and closed enviroment, to one that was loud and chaotic. Nothing was in order and the teachers seemed to follow their own rules. There is absolutely no variation in the activities that happen at SAS. Despise the efforts of many students, very little can be accomplished. There is no doubt in my mind that SAS might have been a school thriving with rich history and students who wanted to do as St. Augustine of Hippo did, "Learn to love, and love to learn." But, being in the environment I am, the students depise learning and anything to do with it! The work that we get is redundant and not on grade level..even the teachers tell us they give us BELOW grade-level work!! Whatever greatness SAS was, it isn't now!! Teachers are too comfortable and LAZY and do everything they can to avoid change! If I could repick the school I had to rush into, SAS wouldn't have been a consideration, to say the least.

Posted January 26, 2010

Sr. Gloria works selflessly, she has a big heart and really wants to take the school to the next level but I don't think that she has the full co-operation of her teachers. It seems the teachers are so used to doing things their way that they resist change that brings progress. As long as that continues to occur, students will not be challenged academically to be all they can be and the school will remain mediocre. The students themselves complain that they are not being taught effectively and to make up the teachers work, they flood the students with tons of home work which they have not been taught. The school needs a lot of improvement and I must stress, the faculty has a lot to do with it, they are too comfortable. Wake Up People.

Posted October 29, 2009

St, Augustine's standards are set high, sacrafices have been made to ensure that the technological tools are available to achieve the goals set, classe sizes are small enough to provide individual attention, and performance has improved over the last two years. From what I can tell, the students are promerly motivated to acheive up to their individual potentials.

Posted March 25, 2009

It is so refreshing to be at a school where the children can be taught to pray and even go to church once a week! There are three nuns in the school including the principal and two priest who visit and teach the children regularly. The pre-K children are already reading! I am just so pleased at all that the staff and others have done to make St Augustine a great school for the children

Posted March 24, 2009

St. Augustine School is well known for the way the principal and teachers care about the students, the church next door and the learning that takes place there. The teachers with their religious background actually inspire the students to to excel and to do well in life. They are encouraged to study hard, come to school everyday, turn it homework and to get involved in other school activities as well as extracurricular community based activies. In fact, many of the students that attend St. Augustine are involved in additional activities that further enhance their learning and athletic skills. St. Augustine School is known for good things and I would recommend it to every parent who wants their child to be successful in life.

Posted March 23, 2009

St. Augustine is one of the best school's in Washington, D.C. to work in and to send your child to. We are dedicated teachers and we love what we do! The teachers work together as a team to collaborate with the administration and staff to find effective ways to meet the needs of all students. St. Augustine is aware that some students may need extra support to strengthen an area in their academics. St. Augustine currently has a Title 1 program, a reading specialist, and Christ Child tutors, who provide assistance to those student's, who are in need. We strive to make sure that all students are learning, understanding, demonstrating, and using their higher order thinking skills in the classroom and beyond. We love our students!

Posted March 21, 2009

St. Augustine School has the highest enrollment it's had in 10 years and now has three Handmaids of the Holy Child Jesus sisters working full-time at the school. The school has the strong support of many parishioners of St. Augustine Parish, and any visitor who walks the halls of the school can witness the school's Catholic identity in the artwork of the students, the prayers they say and the lessons they learn.

Posted March 21, 2009

Saint Augustine's offers a top quality education for a great price. The school receives a high amount of financial support from parishioners. This enables management to make constant improvements to the physical plant and hire highly skilled teachers while keeping tuition at a reasonable price. As a graduate of a Catholic elementary school and a Catholic high school, I can attest to the fact that my Catholic education has greatly contributed to every aspect of my life. That's why I support the Saint Augustine Catholic School and invite parents to see for themselves by visiting the school.

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Two or more races 0% N/A
Source: Manually entered by school official

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students participating in free or reduced-price lunch program 45%N/AN/A
English learners 25%N/AN/A
Source: Manually entered by school official

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Math specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Reading specialist(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • None - the school offers no services
  • Differentiated learning programs

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Mathematics

School start time
  • 8:00am
School end time
  • 3:30pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 a.m.
  • Sister Gloria Agumagu, HHCJ
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Roman Catholic
Associations
  • NCEA
Fax number
  • (202) 667-2610

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Standards-based

• Mathematics
  • Religious
  • Science
  • Technology
  • Visual arts
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Teacher aid/assistant teacher

• Drama
Media arts
  • Graphics

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Chess club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school
School colors
  • Blue and White
School mascot
  • The Saints

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

Apply now

What are your chances?

9 out of 10students were accepted for the 2012-2013 school year.

Students accepted for the 2012-2013 school year
197
Applications received for the 2012-2013 school year
225
Students typically come from these schools
Nursary

Outside scholarships
Application fee
No fee waivers available

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Archbishop Carroll
Georgetown Visitation
Gonzaga

1421 V Street NW
Washington, DC 20009

Meridian PCS
Washington, DC

Choosing a school in Washington, D.C.?

Planning a visit?

Download the school visit checklist

Download

Navigate the system in
Washington, D.C.

Read how to navigate the
local process »