PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (5 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (5 responses)

I have three children that attend St. Augustine School and it has been rewarding for me and for them to be in an academic environment that is thriving. My children are not only receiving a great education, but they feel safe and respected. They enjoy their teachers, some with great sense of humor, and a principal who knows their names. It's a pleasure to drop them off on mornings where they are greeted by the math teacher ( Mr. Riley) at the front door with a smile and a handshake. The prayer in the morning and afternoon is an added touch and one my children look forward to each day to start and end their day. Overall, St. Augustine School is a great institution for learning and growing.

Handles bullying effectively: Strongly agree

The school does not tolerate bullying. I have an adolescent boy so the lines of bullying and typical chatter among friends is gets blurred, and to keep it from being a question whenever certain discussions start they are cut off by the teachers and administrators. It is tough but many times the students believe I did not do anything and ask "Why am I being addressed" but it is and has become an sensitive issue in today's school environment and nothing is let to chance there. The social workers is sometimes called to mediate certain behavior to help student understand what is at risk.

Supports LD students: Strongly agree

I strongly agree with this because I happened to have a child who is challenged when it comes to focusing. He makes very high standardized test grades but have a challenge with routine things. The school administrators and teachers have worked with my husband and me to meet his needs. I believe he has grown a great deal and improved despite his learning challenge to focus. We have had several meetings with the administrators and teachers to meet or son's learning needs. One teacher specifically encouraged us to work more closely with our son because he requires it and to not get caught up with " he is a middle school student he should be able to work independently" We appreciate him for paying attention and being on point. He also had the interest in our son and confidence to say to us "he needs a little more guidance".

Effective school leaders: Strongly agree

The school's leadership is headed by a committed pastor, administrative team, and teachers who are committed to each individual student. If you do your part as a parent and require your child to do the same each leadership team member will work with you to get the best for each studrnt.

Develops character: Strongly agree

Yes, the school develops strong character in its students like integrity, compassion and respect. If the student does not demonstrate the qualities they are disciplined and if no improvement they can be expelled from the school for certain behavior. Parents are involved and asked to work with the student to adhere the school's principles and policies. As much as my husband and I may want something each teacher reinforces that fact that the student has to want it and be willing and do the work demonstrating and developing strong character through the time they are in the school. Developing strong character in students like integrity, compassion and respect for yourself and others does prepare the way for an adult with those necessary qualities to succeed in life. As parents we want a great deal for our children as sometimes the lines are blurred but the school's approach is the student has to do it for him or herself regardless to become a strong high school student and ultimately responsible adults. The school does develop persistence grit and determination in its students. The teachers work with the parents and they to ensure the highest potential of the students is brought out. Developing strong student is done in collaboration with parents to ensure students reach the highest potential.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

Overall, I am very pleased with the fact that the school makes students work hard for their grades. I happen to have a child that is quite capable and if allowed would only do minimum work. I am so appreciative of the teachers for pushing my son and making it clear they require him to work to his highest potential.

Amount of homework: Strongly agree

I like the fact that the school works hard to keep a balance with homework requirements while allowing time for family and friends. The homework assignments seemed to be weaved well into everyday life as well. I find that the students are taught technical/relevant lessons from a fun and practical approach.

A parishioner whos children and grandchildren went to the school, said to me, " St. Augustine Elementary School is an hidden treasure" and it is. Given our son's social challenges when he came to the school in the first grade all of what has been shared below is of great significance. Our son can now communicate and compete with students anywhere and I accredit it largely to the strong academic and well balanced education he is receiving. He is also capable of engaging us on relevant worldly issues and hold his own because of what he learned. His father and I will often ask: Where did you learn these things? He responds " We discussed them in class (it could be any class)". Note he is usually right and always on point. This is attributable to the effort to maintain and continue to build a strong academic team. It is impressive how the teachers work collaboratively and are all in their own right very strong and capable teachers. The students are writing papers in Modern Language Association ( MLA) and American Psychological Association (APA) style in middle school. I can not ignore, nor fell to mention the School's investment in the Performance Arts program bringing a committed knowledgeable music educator with a strong knowledge of the art, history and culture as well, that he effectively imparts to the students. Fortunately, our son is in position to benefit from this resource at the school. What a student gets from being in the aftercare programs is also highly regarded, and definitely a large part of their rich academic and social development. Our son is enrolled in the academic enrichment programs as well as other activities to include but not limited to sports teams like fencing and basketball adding to his overall development. The Aftercare Program has equipped our son with basketball fundamentals which has given him a better understanding of the team aspect of the game. We are deeply appreciative of the parent, teacher and administrator collaboration that has worked together to bring or son to a place where he is positioned to propel into successful future endeavors. St. Augustine School has been a valuable asset to him and our family.

I have had children in this school for 3 years. It is a decent school, and if it were a free public school I would rate it higher. I appreciate the academic push but there is a terrible lack of basic resources. If you visit their website it gives you insight to the very behind the times atmosphere of the school. There was a massive turn over this school year which can be attributed to the child like behavior of the school administrators. There is gossip by adults, favoritism that effect the children and lack of professionalism. This is a place where only if you find a caring adult to advocate for your child they will have a fair chance. The school has had two recent gas related incidents. One created sheer panic as parents were asked to come pick up their children and another where children stood outside in the cold for hours and parents learned at the end of the day what happened. I originally thought the school was a great value but many catholic schools in the area have similar tuition rates. If you intend to register, do so with caution. I very much wish I had left last school year.

Develops character: Strongly agree

This is at the core of their teachings! My experience is that these values are taught by example.

Last modified St. Augustine School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8