No rating

St. Ann's Academy

Private | PK-8

Living in Washington

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $775,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,640.

Sweep tile

Posted April 2, 2014

St. Ann's is not closing. It is St. Charles that is closing. Many of the St. Charles students will be moving to St. Ann's so the school gained many new students and some classes are full for the fall.

Posted March 23, 2014

Regretfully, St. Ann's is closing at the end of the 2013-2014 school year due to low enrollment.

Posted March 4, 2014

My two children begun St. Ann's this year and we all love EVERYTHING about the school.Of course , there are imperfections in every school but we are very satisfied with our children's academic progressions and our relations within the school . Our children especially love the principal, the office manager,their teachers and even the entire staff. They always mention how the current enrolled students are smarter than those at their previous school and how learning is much more fun at St. Ann's. It is imperative for you to visit your child's future school first hand. Both my husband and I have come to the conclusion that St. Ann's is D.C.'s secret jewel . Therefore, this was our wonderful experience, visit and allow your child to shadow St. Ann's to experience his/her joy for it for themselves! When our children are happy in their learning environment, as parents, were HAPPIER! Be well...Blessings to your family.:)

Posted February 20, 2014

St. Ann's is a phenomenal school that I am proud to be a part of! From the very start the school embraced my children and I must say academically the children are doing very well! The school is a must see with its historic richness, academic rigor, along with an awesome group of caring teachers and staff. I am confident that if you came by to visit you will be pleased with what you see.

Posted January 25, 2014

St. Ann's Academy is a wonderful school for my kids, for we have been apart of the community for six years. What makes St. Ann's Academy special are the dedicated teachers, administration, parent involvement, and of course the students! Although St. Ann's Academy is a Catholic school, non-Catholics (like my family) are very much welcomed.

Posted January 23, 2014

St. Ann's Academy (http://www.stannsacademy.net/) is a thriving elementary school located at the heart of the Tenleytown neighborhood in Washington, D.C., just half a block away from the Tenleytown Metro Station. St. Ann's teachers are committed, professional, and exemplary instructors for our children. Our first grader, who is already fluently reading and writing, has also learned discipline, responsibility, and respect for her/his teachers and other students. I would strongly encourage any parents doing reviews of elementary schools in NW DC to consider St. Ann's Academy, and to visit us during our incoming open houses Jan. 29 & 31; Feb. 13 & Apr. 10, the last three of which are scheduled at 5-7pm).

Posted January 23, 2014

St. Ann's Academy (Washington, DC) is one of the top elementary/middle schools in the metropolitan area. This school offers a dynamic curriculum and provides quality educational instructors/teachers for your children. I have been at this school for 5 years and am truly blessed to be a part of this awesome institution. My kids are flourishing and excelling in their academics more than I could ever imagine. St. Ann's Academy is a best kept secret in DC and now it is time to time the masses of its wonderful presence.

Posted January 10, 2014

St. Ann's Academy is a small k-8 school with terrific teachers, students and families. All students enjoy foreign language, laboratory science and technology classes. Rounding out the academics are great extracurricular activities including band, choir, arts & crafts, team sports and robotics. Teachers are dedicated. They hold students to a high standard and provide the needed support to achieve. St. Ann's students test well, and graduates attend some of the best high schools in the city and beyond. The school culture is welcoming of new families, and the parent organization is very active, sponsoring fun events for students and families throughout the year. A few areas of improvement include upgrades to the physical plant. It needs a few things, but it's well maintained by the maintenance staff. Overall it's a clean, safe environment. Finally, enrollment has dipped somewhat. This makes class sizes small, 15 on average. But, interest is picking up. I would guess monthly open houses and word-of-mouth is working. I would recommend St. Ann's Academy to anyone looking for a great school, a good location, a safe environment and a path toward success for their child.

Posted January 8, 2014

This may be one of the saddest stories in the history of schools, or it could be a phoenix rising. St. Ann's has the potential and location to be a great school. Two of the school's best teachers left last year, but the remaining teachers are also great, loving and caring. The school has lost enrollment, going from 220 only 3 years ago to somewhere in the 120 range now. The school has no nurse, no librarian, apparently a part time principal, and no reading support. There are mentions of science fair in the other reviews, but the school does not participate. On the plus side, the class sizes are, by extension of the decline in enrollment, small. The last two days the school was forced to close because the heat did not work, and that's an inconvenience, but we will deal. Not sure how the Archdiocese let this happen, or what the future holds. See the school, and don't eliminate it because of this or any review. There is hope. The location and teachers give the school the basis to succeed, just a new dose of leadership and some innovation and the future could once again be bright. Please come see us at the next open house and see if you can join the challenge!

Posted September 30, 2013

My kids love St Ann s. Whenever I pick them up from school, even if they stay for After Care, they ask me why I picked them up so early. The teachers are very engaged with all the students. The students are given individual assessments to ensure they are excelling or where they may need additional support. There is a strong sense of community among the students across all grade levels and the parents are very involved. I personally know many St. Ann's graduates and they have attended top high schools and colleges. I have recommended St. Ann's to many family members and friends and they have also enrolled their kids. Bottom line is that it is a great school and a great value!

Posted September 26, 2013

St. Ann's has been a wonderful experience for our daughter. She has grown and learned so much in a very short time. Her teacher has a unique way of teaching complicated materials to her students that help them retain the information. We have been pleased thus far.

Posted September 25, 2013

The best things about St. Ann's are the individualized attention students receive and the close-knit community of families. Another great thing is that even the Kindergarteners rotate to different classes for weekly Spanish, Science, Art, Music and PE classes for instruction from specialized teachers. Lower grade students also participate in things like reading support and escorts to mass with upper grade students, which motivate both the older and the younger student about learning and being part of a larger community. Also notable and somewhat unusual: before and after care are run by actual St. Ann's faculty members, not outside people. So students are receiving continuity or care and instruction throughout the day--and parents know who's watching their children. Some parents may worry that Catholic schools are too strict and rigid, but St. Ann's has an effective balance of structure and nurturing that has worked well for my child, and much better than the more relaxed format of our former school. Whenever we are out, people always stop and ask where my child goes to school and comment how bright my child is. That says a lot.

Posted September 25, 2013

We have been Saint Ann's Academy parents for 4 years and are very pleased. We love the small class sizes, the sense of community, the diversity of students and the excellent teachers. I am very impressed with the quality of teachers and their dedication to the students. Graduates get into very good Catholic High Schools and other private schools in the DC area. I recommend any interested parents to schedule a school visit or come to an Open House.

Posted September 25, 2013

We have three children at St. Ann's Academy. We will enroll our 4th child in pre-K3 next fall. The student teacher ratio is excellent. We are pleased that our children are in a rich learning environment. Most importantly, they are learning Christ centered values for everyday life.

Posted September 25, 2013

Our family is new to this school and we are really happy. I know there are bad reviews of the school and have heard there was some sort of turmoil a few years ago. I don't know anything about that. What I do know is that the school, the teachers, and the partners have created a vibrant community. Visit the school, take a tour in order to form your own opinion of the school and its administration. That's what we did and we have found a really great match for our child and for our family.

Posted September 25, 2013

I am very please with St. Ann's Academy. My oldest daughter graduated from St. Ann's Academy in 2012. St. Ann's had prepared her well. She had maintained an "A" average during her 9th grade year of high school. I also have two younger children that attend St. Ann's as well. I love the small classroom settings so that my children get individualize attention from their teachers when needed.

Posted September 25, 2013

I have been very impressed with the degree to which my son's teacher is challenging the students, and the camraderie of the small classes. My son is thriving at St. Ann's academically, spiritually and in terms of his self image. The diversity of the school is something that was important to our family, and St. Ann's offers diversity. My son loves God, and has grown tremendously spiritually. St. Ann's could use more after-school activities, but the Robotics Club, Music lessons, Zuumba Fitness and Math tutoring have been wonderful options for us. I love this school!!

Posted September 25, 2013

St. Ann's Academy is a hidden gem located in Northwest, Washington, DC, Tenley-Friendship neighborhood. The teachers and senior leadership of the school are well-educated and provide a nurturing, spiritual environment for my boys. I'm happy to be a part of the St. Ann's Academy HSA which is a natural extension of the community. Parent involvement is mandatory to support the school's activities and contribute toward St. Ann's Academy's continued success in the development of well-rounded, young men and women, who graduate to then attend top Catholic high schools in the Washington metro area.

Posted September 24, 2013

We started our daughter in Kinder this year and are thrilled with the school, the teachers and the administration. My daughter bounces out of bed each day and can't wait to get over across the park to school. When all her classmates run to their teacher to hug her each morning, I know we made the right choice. Simply awesome. Spanish, science lab, music, technology, library, gym all in Kinder. Test score improvement tops the charts in the past 2 years. This is a place to check out if you want a small school in the big city. I'll close by telling you the sense of community rocks. When 3rd graders help your kinder inside, and the 5th graders help with reading and the 8th graders mentor good manners...you know you are in a great school, led with heart and love and professionalism.

Posted May 20, 2013

Wonderful school, nice teachers, but a horrible principal. Will be very disappointing if some good teachers leave the school because the lack of leadership.

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Asian 3% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 3% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

School start time
  • 8:00am
School end time
  • 3:00pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Before school
  • Thomas Wharton
  • Coed
Special schedule
  • Block scheduling
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
Foreign languages taught
  • Spanish

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of Washington

Wilson High School

Deal Middle School

Sheridan School
Washington, DC

Choosing a school in Washington, D.C.?

Planning a visit?

Download the school visit checklist

Download

Navigate the system in
Washington, D.C.

Read how to navigate the
local process »