Posted May 04, 2014
We love Burke! The parents and teachers and classes are great. The location is perfect, and the kids...smart and upbeat.

Posted October 16, 2013
Burke has a great balance of academics and steering students towards more critical thinking (along with strong arts and fun sports teams)

Posted July 03, 2013
My daughter adores Burke! She is happy just being herself, is excited about what goes on in her classes, loves her teachers (well, almost all of them - she is a teenager,) and is becoming an independent, self-motivated, knowledgeable and civic-minded young lady. We love the urban location, the vibrant and inclusive community, the AMAZING arts program and the high academic standards. What a great school!

Posted July 03, 2013
The Edmund Burke School is, in my opinion, the perfect atmosphere for students to learn and grow as individuals. For me, a former student, Burke was the place that gave me a feeling of comfort that few places ever could. I truly grew into my own as person with the aid of the instructors and my fellow students. The sense of community is palpable when you step into the building and nothing can replace that. I mention all of this and will move to the most important aspect, the education. Burke prepared me for college in a way that can only be appreciated now that I am in college. Thanks to the progressive type of education you receive at Burke, the transition to a college workload is made easily and seamlessly. In short, Burke is a place that I consider almost a second home that shaped my life in more ways than I can express in a short written statement.

Posted July 03, 2013
I am a Graphic Design teacher @ Burke and the parent of two alums. My son graduated in 2007 and my daughter in 2011. Burke is a unique place. Students there vary widely in the breadth of their abilities. But a consistent aspect of the students there, is how multifaceted each student is. An example is a 2013 graduate who not only was able to take multiple AP classes, be a talented photographer, able to play pretty much any musical instrument, plus sing in the Spring Musical. Ah, an outlier you say. Nope. While all students may not have that many abilities, there are many that do. Almost all have at least two strengths in very different areas, whether it is Athletics, Academics, Arts, or Social Service. Academics are tough at Burke. Arts are college level. Commitment to community is extraordinary. Athletics are inclusive. Student - Teacher relationships are collegial which is VERY helpful in the transition to college. Students are taught how to think critically, and write very well. My daughter says that Burke taught her how she herself learns. My only complaint is that the students know my dog's name better than mine.

Posted December 23, 2012
A great place for high academic standards AND development of a student's personal/individual potential. A wonderful balance between intellectual discipline and exploratory freedom.

Edmund Burke School 4

Posted June 13, 2012
Burke allows a student to be him/her self. They allow ones strengths to flourish while developing any weaknesses. Burke does not generalize , they work individually with the person you are or strive to become. Burke builds confidence and self assurance in all students.

Edmund Burke School 1

Posted January 08, 2012
this school is so small that friend options are very limeted. If you are not liked, you are teased by everyone

Posted March 09, 2011
Burke is a terrific school that looks at each student as an individual. We have two students who graduated from Burke who were very different from each other academically, socially, and temperamentally. Each thrived because each was given what she needed to succeed. Both were well prepared for college and graduate school and continue to visit their teachers when they are in DC

Posted February 02, 2011
I have been a parent at the Edmund Burke School for several years and believe that it is a special place that provides a uniquely strong and supportive education to middle and high school kids. What you find when you visit Burke is a school that approaches students as individuals who can achieve great things when provided an education that is challenging, creative, caring and fun. You'll also find a very strong and welcoming community made up of talented and involved teachers, staff, parents, students and alums. You'll also see that Burke's respect for the individual both welcomes and challenges every student from many different walks of life to learn how to advocate for themselves, actively pursue their interests, reach to do their best, and to act to help others inside and outside the 4 walls of the school.

Find the great schools in Washington Dc