6-12|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

I am a parent with two children at Burke. I am a DC native who went to top private schools; I got a great education but never felt that my schools created a warm community. Burke is different. The school combines strong academics with a huge emphasis on social development and kindness. There are some really bright, creative kids at the school and the teachers are incredible. One of our children is very gifted academically - so we tried other private schools and the gifted track of the MCPS system, but Burke is the only place where he has felt socially, not just academically comfortable. Our other child is an all around good kid and is also happy there, which I think says a lot about the quality of the community that's created at Burke. I love the other parents and the new principal has really infused the place with wonderful energy. Can't recommend it highly enough, especially if you have a really bright kid who could use a warm and welcoming atmosphere.

Burke is a wonderfully excepting community. The teachers are great and they actually want to help the students succeed. 10/10 Would attend again.

We love Burke! The parents and teachers and classes are great. The location is perfect, and the kids...smart and upbeat.

Burke has a great balance of academics and steering students towards more critical thinking (along with strong arts and fun sports teams)

My daughter adores Burke! She is happy just being herself, is excited about what goes on in her classes, loves her teachers (well, almost all of them - she is a teenager,) and is becoming an independent, self-motivated, knowledgeable and civic-minded young lady. We love the urban location, the vibrant and inclusive community, the AMAZING arts program and the high academic standards. What a great school!

The Edmund Burke School is, in my opinion, the perfect atmosphere for students to learn and grow as individuals. For me, a former student, Burke was the place that gave me a feeling of comfort that few places ever could. I truly grew into my own as person with the aid of the instructors and my fellow students. The sense of community is palpable when you step into the building and nothing can replace that. I mention all of this and will move to the most important aspect, the education. Burke prepared me for college in a way that can only be appreciated now that I am in college. Thanks to the progressive type of education you receive at Burke, the transition to a college workload is made easily and seamlessly. In short, Burke is a place that I consider almost a second home that shaped my life in more ways than I can express in a short written statement.

I am a Graphic Design teacher @ Burke and the parent of two alums. My son graduated in 2007 and my daughter in 2011. Burke is a unique place. Students there vary widely in the breadth of their abilities. But a consistent aspect of the students there, is how multifaceted each student is. An example is a 2013 graduate who not only was able to take multiple AP classes, be a talented photographer, able to play pretty much any musical instrument, plus sing in the Spring Musical. Ah, an outlier you say. Nope. While all students may not have that many abilities, there are many that do. Almost all have at least two strengths in very different areas, whether it is Athletics, Academics, Arts, or Social Service. Academics are tough at Burke. Arts are college level. Commitment to community is extraordinary. Athletics are inclusive. Student - Teacher relationships are collegial which is VERY helpful in the transition to college. Students are taught how to think critically, and write very well. My daughter says that Burke taught her how she herself learns. My only complaint is that the students know my dog's name better than mine.

A great place for high academic standards AND development of a student's personal/individual potential. A wonderful balance between intellectual discipline and exploratory freedom.

Burke allows a student to be him/her self. They allow ones strengths to flourish while developing any weaknesses. Burke does not generalize , they work individually with the person you are or strive to become. Burke builds confidence and self assurance in all students.

this school is so small that friend options are very limeted. If you are not liked, you are teased by everyone

Last modified Edmund Burke School is a Private school that serves grades 6-12