No rating

Naylor Road School

Private | PK-8

Living in Washington

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $174,900. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,250.

Sweep tile

Posted May 10, 2010

Naylor Road is great! It truly is the best school in the area for the money. I have a daughter who has attended Naylor Road for the past 2 years and now attending the 2009-2010 school year in first grade and her comprehension level, math skills and dynamic reading ability far exceeds that of a student of the same grade level attending a public school. It's well worth my money spent and I will continue her education there. The Principal, Mrs. Ruggles is supportive and attentive to the needs of the students, teachers and parents. Mrs. Jefferson and Mrs. Jones are outstanding educators at the school, which I've been fortunate enough to have my daughter attend their class.

Posted April 28, 2010

Naylor Road is an outstanding school. My son is currently in the first grade, and has a collegiate spelling vocabulary. Most of the students in his class are reading at a second/third grade level. In addition, his first grade class is taught 2nd grade math. I'm extremely pleased with the school's educational curriculum, and highly recommend Naylor Road to parents who are seeking a great school that will promote academic achievement.

Posted September 17, 2009

The classes are no larger than 15 kids and my daughter has learned so much in the 8 yrs. she's attended.

Posted August 24, 2009

Naylor Road has been played an important roll in how my child has developed into the student that he is today. I certainly appreciate the past 5 years that my child has had at Naylor Road but going into the 6th grade, I could not send my child back to Naylor Road. I know all children deserve an education better than DCPS can provide but when it s obvious that they are accepting children with behavioral problems and there are no consequences, that s when I have a problem. Naylor Road needs to be more selective when accepting students instead of focusing on the money that they are receiving from the voucher program and work on making the school more modern

Posted August 11, 2009

Every school has fundraisers. Every school has teachers who leave before completing the schoolyear. Naylor Road is a great school who worries about the students and wants to make sure each child gets the best education they can. The tuition is kept low so that working moms and dads can afford a private education or their child I personally resent comments that the school is only out for the money it makes off the parents. Check with other schools and who will see the tuition is much lower and a better education is given.

Posted June 15, 2009

Our child attended this school for the past 4 years (K-3rd). Some of the teachers are excellent. We were fortunate to have the better teachers. We noticed a lot of teacher turnover in other classes. Parents were not happy about this (rightfully so). Foreign language and Physical education are weak (PE improved this year). We thought the material could be a little more challenging. The rooms could be remodeled to allow for better use of space. Communication from the office is inconsistent. The Spanish teacher was let go and parents were not informed. Traffic around the school is a concern (double parking, speeding); not sure what the school could do about that. Cost is reasonable. Fund raisers are annoying. Aftercare is okay. I would recommend Naylor for 3rd grade and under. Older kids need more room and challenges than what I see being offered.

Posted June 13, 2009

My daughter just completed her first year at Naylor Road School. This is the third school she's attended since the age of 3 and I AM VERY PLEASED. So pleased that I've recommended Naylor Road School to everyone I've come into contact with. I've never seen teachers who really love and dedicate themselves to their profession as I've seen at Naylor Road. In the beginning, my daughter did struggle (she was use to taking naps, doing little to no classwork, etc.), however her teacher Mrs. Harper stuck it out with her and showed much patience (more than I could have given). There were times that I was ready to throw in the towel, but her teacher worked with her and even offered helpful suggestions to me. I would definitely recommend Naylor Road School to anyone looking to provide the best education for their child(ren).

Posted October 8, 2008

the best school i ever went to two thumbs up....
—Submitted by a student

Posted August 18, 2008

This is sooooo true. It seems that since the voucher program was entered, along came a lot of discipline problems from DC public school

Posted August 18, 2008

My daughter has attend Naylor Road School for the past two years. I like the small class size and open communication with the teacher and staff members. The curriculm is excellent, my daughter has excelled in reading, writing and math. The classrooms are small but I'd rather have a small learning environment than a big disruptive space. Overall the educational experience is good.

Posted June 6, 2008

Naylor Road school is a big law suit waiting to happen. The class sizes are small but my child complains of being in the same chair allllll day long. The teacher turnover rate is ridiculous. Unless you are used to a new teacher every three months or so ... if you truly value your child send them to a better school.Our people are not even represneted in the office, I do not know if it is school or a big fund raising effort to keep money rolling in their pockets?

Posted May 24, 2008

My daughter is a 3rd year student. I have the greatest respect for the school and faculty. The teachers split their schedule to provide aftercare, so your child gets extra tutoring if needed homework help, and the classes are so small, no child is 'really' left behind. The tuition is affordable for both single parents and married couples. My daughter had experiences this year, I've never had. We met DC's Congresswoman, she interviewed her personally and a member of her staff and we saw a play in ASL at the Kennedy Center. All the parents know eachother, care for eachother's children and respect the authority of the educators. Mrs. Ward, the director is a beautiful soul, and the school's open door policy provides relief for the working, but involved parent. The school's teachers are unrivaled in education and character.

Posted April 13, 2008

At first my husband and I were so hopeful regarding this school. We sign the agreement and was excited about what our son would be learning. As soon as school began the Director was let go..then followed by the lost of 1 teacher and 2 aids. My son was crushed because he didnt understand the change. No meeting was held for the parents. Just some note that was given in each parents box. My son complained of the teachers yelling a lot and by April 1 we decided to keep him at home. Too much drama and change. Spanish was dissappointing. I taught my son more on my own free time. I would not recommend this school to anyone. It has been a huge dissappointment. Seems like the focus is always on money and fundraising and not focused on the children's education. My son will not be returning next year.

Posted February 4, 2008

My daughter is in the K3 program at Naylor Road Annex. As other parents have stated, the school is reasonably priced and in an convenient location. The academic curriculum is pretty good. My daughter knows all the letter sounds, can write her name, recite the months of the year and can do beginning sign language. The biggest issue I have had at the school is the teacher turnover. There has been a 90% turnover with teachers this year. The school has has some excellent teachers. My daughter has had 3 teachers so far this year. Although, I am pleased with the academic portion of the school, I am researching other programs for next year due to all the turnover we have experienced this year.

Posted January 10, 2008

My son loves the school, so that alone makes the tuition acceptable. Be aware the tuition is fair compared to other schools but Naylor Road will issue fund raisers every month with threats that the tuition will be raised if you dont participate. After we did participate we were still charged another fee at the end of the school year. The eduction is pretty good, although the foreign language course is pointless. My son takes spanish and hasnt learned anything, I can remember more from Highschool (12 years ago) then he has learned from Naylor road. I have a 2nd child, will I enroll them into naylor road, chances are I will not!

Posted November 14, 2007

I love this school. I have checked with the other private schools in the area, and this is one of the best. Most of the really expensive private schools in DC have a large student to teacher ratio. My son is in kindergarten and he loves the school. I feel there academic program for kindergarten is much better than some of the other private schools. I am so glad I found this school.

Posted September 24, 2007

At first I was not impressed with Naylor Road School Annex especially when the Teacher quit...was really dissappointed and felt stuck. However I started to remember all of the parents that raved about the school through the years that I spoke with. Then I thought to myself...my 3 1/2 year old son is learning how to write his name..in PreK3! I dont know of any program that offers that...he is also safe and their policy on bullying is expulsion from school permanetaly. I like that frankly. Their respect for folks of other faith is good too. I have to stop focusing on what I dont like and look at all the benifits my child does have. My son has made friends and his classroom size is small. Would I sent my child back next year? Yes.

Posted August 17, 2007

the school is trashy dirty and poor. the classrooms are small and hot. I have been going to naylor road since kindergarten and now I am in the seventh grade. To me it is torture to be at naylor road. I would rather go to hart middle school. I am laving naylor road. The teachers are great, but because of the principle the teachers can not be creative to make the classes more interesting. the classes are boring and you learn nothing the after school activities there are none and thanks to ms. Sherrie ruggles the school is much more torn apart. I hope it gets better this year, but that school should be shut down.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted July 27, 2007

I am not sure why anyone still sends their kids to this school! The high tuition is not worth it! It is small, cramped, and the facilities are lacking. The curriculum is sub-par and the teachers are not allowed to be creative. The classes are very long and not taught in an interesting manner, which means the kids don't learn as well. My child was very unprepared for other schools after leaving NRS.

Posted May 5, 2007

I am overall pleased with my childrens experiences at the NRS. Although they do have som problems hiring and keeping new teachers, the teachers that have been with them for years are great. My son first started at the NRSA in pre-k4, then went on to kindergarden. His first teacher left after about one week in pre-k and the second teacher lift after about three weeks in kindergarden. My son was then switched to Mrs. Harpers kindergarden class. She has been with the school for over ten years and is a wonderful and patient teacher. My son has excelled under her direction and I am very pleased witht he cirruculum. If the school could get and hire more teachers like Mrs. Harper, it would deninately be a better place.

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

American Indian/Alaska Native N/A 0%
Hispanic N/A 12%
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

School start time
  • 8:30am
School end time
  • 3:30pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school

• None

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

2403 Naylor Rd SE
Washington, DC 20020

Orr Elementary School
Washington, DC

Kramer Middle School
Washington, DC

Choosing a school in Washington, D.C.?

Planning a visit?

Download the school visit checklist

Download

Navigate the system in
Washington, D.C.

Read how to navigate the
local process »