No rating

Field School

Private | 6-12 | 360 students

Our school is best known for an average class size of only 11 students per class

Living in Washington

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $750,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,620.

Sweep tile

Posted September 23, 2013

Love, love love this school. My daughter came from a bad social situation at another school and was immediately embraced by both students and faculty. They care about the emotional well-being of their students and the academics are stimulating and challenging without being a grind. Field's college guidance system is a secret treasure, possibly the best in the city. This school transformed my daughter. My only regret is that we didn't send her there earlier.

Posted March 8, 2013

Our child is concluding her first year at Field after attending MCPS where our older child has excelled. In a word, Field has been a dream. The school is everything we had hoped it would be for our child. Small classes. Nurturing teachers. Caring administrators. And a wonderful, supportive, diverse peer group for our child. While the school is very progressive, its traditional curriculum ensures that children receive a well-rounded, first-rate education. More impressive (and the reason we selected this school) is its extraordinary arts programs, which our child adores. Field is by no means right for every student. But you have an artistically-inclined child who marches to his/her own drummer, this school is for you. The only downside (and it's a big one) is the price. Field is very expensive.

Posted June 9, 2012

I went here, and while I would definitely say that they should definitely have a more developed person contractually based or otherwise to deal with social issues at the school, I will say this: If I went to any other school, particulacy public and in DC, I doubt I would have been able to write a 11 page paper at whim, or have had teachers chasing me down investing time and money in ensuring I focused in on and completed my education. Field provided one of the greatest high school experiences anyone can have anywhere. Although the school is certainly lacking minorities, it is also in a beautiful mansion and has incredibly small class sizes, so each student develops personal relationships with the teachers. Students also have the opportunity to participate in a wealth of activities. I appreciate my experiences at field. I also feell as though they have set up precedents that have pleasantly dictated the course of my life in these last 4 years since my graduation. I was fortunate to have experienced the Field School, and I know that any one else who spends any amount of time there will as well.

Posted March 6, 2012

Many students do well at Field--which is why I sent my child there and recommended it to three other families. When things go wrong there socially, however, they go really wrong. The cohort at the school is too small for students to escape their tormentors. This is an administration issue not an educational one. I give most of the teachers high marks and the administration an F.

Posted March 5, 2012

My son attended the school and thrived. He came in a great student, and left a phenomenal student. Field not only educates the mind, it also educates the spirit. A child is able to learn new things, discover likes and dislikes and do so in a comfortable and welcoming environment. My child, in addition to doing well in his academics, also found himself truly enjoying sports and the arts (not a usual combination).

Posted December 23, 2011

The review written by the parent who gave this school one star could have been written by me. After repeated attempts to engage the school in trying to stop my daughter being ostracized and cyberbullied there, I gave up. She now goes to a public school in Washington DC which seems to take these things a lot more seriously. I give the school two stars for having a number of talented teachers but this is really not the "welcoming" place for children that it purports to be. They should get their act together a lot more in dealing with bullying and behavior issues.

Posted September 13, 2011

The Field School is unfortunately not at all as it presents itself to the world. The espoused values of community and respect are violated day after day after day. Having paid more than $90,000 to this institution, I know it was a tragic mistake to send my child there. He still hasn't recovered from being ostracized for his personal difficulties. Avoid this school, you have other choices.

Posted June 19, 2011

Field has been the best thing that has happened to our family. Great education, caring teachers and staff, and involved parent community. Best for creative kids who like to think "outside the box" and need more one on one with their teachers. No "teaching to the test" here like the Montgomery County school system, and no cookie cutter assignments and rote memorization of useless facts that are instantly forgotten after the exam. Field really cares about its students and treats everyone like family.

Posted January 11, 2011

Simply put- Field is incredible. Attending the school is the best decision I have ever made for myself. Throughout my years at Field, I have learned so much inside and outside the classroom. I have discovered new passions, made life-long friends and learned so many valuable academic and life lessons from my teachers. The Field School isn't just a school to it's students--it is a home.

Posted November 30, 2010

The Field School is a great school with great teachers and staff. I highly recommend it

Posted November 21, 2010

I thought our old school was good, then I came to Field! Just love, love, love it!

Posted August 13, 2010

I thought the Field School was going to be a great adventure, but I guess I was way to optimistic. I started last year, and was excited, but once I started, there was no organization what so ever. The teachers are very very young. This school has about 300 students, a little over. It has a beautiful campus overseeing the Washington Monument and has a great arts program, but their athletic program struggles, the tuition was very high for a school, that I really didn't like, 35,000 dollars a year excluding other fees. Not a good school. and I would NOT NOT NOT recommend your son or daughter going here. (this school has a TON OF DEBT)

Posted June 3, 2010

I am a student at the Field School I could say both good and bad things about Field as well. The homework load is a good amount. Although it does not seem like a difficult school, it can be if you make it. The bad things about Field are the social aspects of it. The students are very judgmental and they will ostracize you in a split second. Reputations change in a heartbeat at the school and are never lost. As a student with a changing reputation at the moment, I would not send your child to the Field School.

Posted April 15, 2010

There is good things and bad things about Field. The teachers, are the most amazing people you will ever meet, and the classes encourage discussions. Sometimes I think the teachers have problems staying on the curriculum, and everyone gets too caught up in the 'free thinking' aspect of the school. Also Field has much money managing issues. The arts program they set up was no doubt expensive. The music and art rooms are well stocked, while the school paper/journalism class is terrible. The athletics are sparse, and there is only one field, and one small gym. I think there should be more available to students considering how expensive the tuition for the school is.

Posted October 21, 2009

The kids are all happy, stimulated and engaged. The teaching is individualized and academically challenging. The values are kindness, respect and mutual support among students and faculty. The facilities are top of the line. Your child will be happy while preparing for the next step in life.

Posted April 7, 2009

Field is a magical place. This school will welcome your child and hold her/his hand through the difficult years of adolescence and whatever idiosyncracies she/he has. You will see amazing growth in your child, love of learning, ambition without competitiveness, individual expression. The teachers and staff are very dedicated. Under their supervision, most students are also a mature, happy, creative bunch of energy.

Posted April 17, 2008

The Field School is better than excellent. Its a nuturing happy place to be. The teachers are great, like parents. Field is like one big family and the education is great. The Field arts program is amazing. The campus is beautiful and if you can drive by it. Just to see the campus and Field students in action,

Posted January 18, 2006

The Field School is a special place. Everyone is respected for their own individual personalities and traits. It is a school where a student can excel in manys ways--both inside and outside the classroom. The kids who attend Field are accepting of others and there is none of the bullying or cliqueness that goes on at some schools. Some of my teachers are my best friends. I would encourage any student to apply to Field because you will know if it is the place for you when you go there and see how warm, inviting and friendly everyone is. The school has a spectaculor location--the best in Washington, DC. There is no school in Washington like the Field school. It is a place that allows each student to devlop his or her own interests and skills. It is fun and rigorours and it is a nuturing and kind place.

Posted August 25, 2005

The Field School is nurturing, intellectually stimulating, teaches children to love learning and to think critically and promotes a broad multicultural worldview. Moreover, it does this with a student body that includes National Merit Scholars and bright kids with learning disabilities. It challenges all children, while supporting those who have weak areas. Our daughter mainstreamed from a school for children with learning disablities (math is hopeless and she struggled with organizational skills, but she absolutely thrived at Field and has gone on to a fine college where she has done well. This is an extraordinary school.

Posted August 21, 2004

My son attends the Field school and is entering high school. The principal and staff are sensitive, intelligent individuals who bring the kind of personal attention that is hard to find in American secondary education.My son's teachers have been wonderful and they have created a love of other cultures, history, literature, politics and art in him. The best example of the special quality of a 'Field' education can be conveyed by the following: we were on a holiday trip to London where we spent time at the British museum. My son was telling me the cultual significance of certain art works from India and East Asia. A family from India was following us and listening to my son. The father approached me and said, 'he knows so much about this art, he must be educated in the UK'. I replied, proudly, 'no at the Field School in Washington, DC'.

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Two or more races 2% N/A
Asian 1% N/A
American Indian/Alaska Native N/A 0%
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

College readiness and student pathways

Percentage of students going to 4-year college 100% (2012)
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
College counselor(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Security personnel
School psychologist
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• 8:00am
School end time
  • 3:00pm
  • Dale Johnson
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Nonsectarian
Associations
  • NAIS

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• None
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• None
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered
Foreign languages taught
  • French
  • Latin
  • Spanish
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered
  • None
Vocational or skills-based training offered

• Art teacher(s)
  • Career/college counseling
College preparation / awareness resources offered
  • College prep programs/courses during the year
  • College presentations or information sessions
School-run shuttle from nearby metro and bus stops
  • Yes. Nearby lines: Red Line, Orange/Blue, Green

• Graphics
  • Technical design and production
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Anime club
  • Student council/government

Photos

School culture

Dress Code
  • Neither uniforms nor dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school does not have a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • School Events
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer time after school

Submit your application by

January 10, 2014

Apply now

What are your chances?

3 out of 10students were accepted for the 2012-2013 school year.

Students accepted for the 2012-2013 school year

Application fee
Fee waivers available

Planning ahead

College preparation / awareness offered
College prep programs/courses during the year
College presentations or information sessions
Students' post-graduation plans in 2012
4 year college - 100%

2301 Foxhall Rd NW
Washington, DC 20007

Hardy Middle School
Washington, DC

Choosing a school in Washington, D.C.?

Planning a visit?

Download the school visit checklist

Download

Navigate the system in
Washington, D.C.

Read how to navigate the
local process »