Washington International School - Tregaron Campus 3

Posted November 14, 2012
Washington International School is in the process of trying to decide what kind of school it wants to be. It is on of the very few DC schools that does not require the SSAT or ISEE for middle and high school applicants. I think due to this exception they are not getting the academic quality of students that they need. Yes this is a difficult school but has many inequities due to this testing issue and also due to a large number of "lifers"..students who were accepted in pre-school or kindergarten and who if were to apply today would not be admitted. Enrollment numbers have always been strong due to IMF and World Bank tuition help, but that is changing and to truly step up into the top tier of DC schools the school needs to make some admission policy changes. That said if your child can handle the intense schedule and the social scene, which is very advanced they will get a good education while existing in a very small bubble. The school boasts of its diversity, but diversity has two sides, one being people from all over the world and the other side being inclusivity. The parental body is very inclusive, while the student body is extremely cliquey.

Posted January 01, 2012
Two of my children graduated from Washington International School. One is currently at the University of Pennsylvania and the other is in medical school. Most of their classmates were accepted by Ivy league schools or other top-tier universities in the U.S. and abroad, so the college prep/college entrance issue described in an older comment is no longer valid. The junior and senior years at WIS are as academically challenging or more challenging than any of the years they will spend in undergraduate or graduate schools. The WIS students are impressive - fluent in 2 or more languages, well rounded, individualistic, and very nice. Because of the small size of the school, my children were able to participate in any extra curricular activity they wanted to try. While WIS does not have elite sports programs such as the programs at Good Counsel, Dematha, or Gonzaga (WCAC league schools), most of the students actually get to play for the WIS team of their choice, and are not "bumped" because of heavy recruiting. If you want the best education possible and a fully rounded school experience, WIS is as good as it gets.

Posted November 16, 2009
At the risk of being redundant, let me add my support for WIS for modeling the IB program that is spreading throughout ambitious, forward-looking schools. My kids are prepared for the world we live in. They are bilingual and culturally fluent. they can work in groups, reflect on their own strengths and weaknesses and they can integrate design and computer technology into their work.

Washington International School - Tregaron Campus 4

Posted September 07, 2009
This is a very good school, however, when me and my brother went to this school for three years, we found that the curriculum was not challenging enough for us. Since then we have gone to public school in Alexandria, VA. The teachers, however, are excellent and they helped all the students if they had issues.

Washington International School - Tregaron Campus 0

Posted April 18, 2009
There is no more relevanyt school than Washington International. Its mission is to produce global citizens. This is the school that we all must model, and send our kids to!

Posted February 19, 2008
WIS excels in language learning and in providing a global perspective and education. We are also impressed, however, with the science and math curriculum and teachers as well as the arts and music programs. It has just opened a new library, classroom and theatre building. The one aspect of student life where it may be weak (depending on your perspective) is major sports. A new regulation size soccer and baseball field is being built as I write so this may change in the future.

Washington International School - Tregaron Campus 3

Posted August 13, 2007
I enjoyed my 6 years at WIS. It is a beautiful campus and an excellent learning envirnment. I would say it is most likely the best academic experience in DC. However, the second most important duty of a high school is to get its students into the best universities. This is unfortunately where WIS falls short. It is competing with the much older and more established schools in the area, and as one of the top 5 in my class, with excellent SATs and extra curriculars, and no minority status, I was unable to get into the colleges I desired. Also I found issue in getting the appropriate credit for my IBs. IB highers are equal to two APs but do not recieve that. And IB standards are not recognized anywhere. It is a wonderful school, but needs to work on accomadating students headed to US colleges.

Washington International School - Tregaron Campus 4

Posted August 11, 2005

Posted June 04, 2005

Posted September 06, 2004
- a former student
As a recent graduate of Washington International School and as a freshman at Johns Hopkins University (class of 2008), I have found that the International Baccalaureate program at WIS thoroughly prepared me for the challenges of university-level learning. Now that I am a member of a far less diverse student body, and have larger classes, I have come to appreciate even more all that WIS has to offer. The adults in the community make a notable effort to get to know each student individually, and to help them develop their skills and interests. The college counselors are experienced and knowledgeable people, who guide countless students in the admissions processes of universities in the USA and abroad. They, like the entire faculty at WIS, are always willing to help. I encourage all parents and prospective students to seriously consider the 'WIS experience.' It is unparalleled!

Find the great schools in Washington Dc

Washington International School - Tregaron Campus
3100 Macomb St NW, Washington, DC  20008
Last modified Washington International School - Tregaron Campus is a Private school that serves grades 6-12
Washington International School - Tregaron Campus Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 15 reviews.