Posted August 26, 2013
I attended Shepherd a long time ago, I have had one child graduate and two currently attending. No school is perfect but looking at other public school options in the city, I am happy with Shepherd. They could use some improvement but who does not need to improve. With the jobs and resources that the parents at Shepherd have, we could be better but you can't complain unless you have done all you can to help. We have a partially newly renovated building with plans to continue into next year. We have new energetic teachers with great ideas and ready to implement them. There has been a decline but things are changing for the better and are on there way back up if you don't believe me look at the scores. The statistics speak for themselves!

Posted June 25, 2013
Shepherd school was an excellent school until all of the outstanding teachers left last year, total of five teachers leaving all at the same time. this to me points fingers at the way the principal manages her staff. Some changes need to be made, in order to bring this school in good standing like it use to be.

Posted June 24, 2013
My school is a great overall school especially the specialty subjects. It has a great art, language, and music program that truly works with the core subjects taught in the IB method.

Posted April 18, 2013
Shepherd Elementary has progressively declined over the years. My child has attended the school for 5 years. Instruction from teachers is severely lacking leaving parents to reteach fundamentals of math and language arts at home. Instruction is often replaced by websites meant to be a supplement such as "First in Math". Often times some of the newer teachers are dismissive of parents concerns which ultimately must be funneled to the principle who at this time is bombarded by complaints, yet no changes have been seen. Longevity of teaching staff has been a significant issue at the school. Many of the academic issues could be addressed by utilizing online resources properly such as posting homework assignments online, instead of steering students to video game type learning tools in lieu of classroom instruction. I can say that Music, Art, and Gym instruction are on track for this school.

Posted June 06, 2012
Shepherd tries very hard but is a bit overwhelmed with trying to be an IB school.Academics are average at best. I was not impressed with teacher my child had. She had no up to date training and was not interested n teaching the whole child. The PTA is overwhelmingly the best thing about the school however if you dont live in the neihborhood you are kind of an outcast. Also if your child is new and you have not been a part of the school since Pre K you an outsider. It is in a very nice area of Washington DC and therefore gets credit that it doesnt deserve. The star average says it all.

Posted August 22, 2011
My son entered Shepherd last year as a new PK student. As my wife and I were new to the District, we had out concerns with public education in the city. We went to several DCPS open houses, and felt very comfortable with the Shepherd community. Not only has our son's want for academic success grown, but our family feels enriched by the caring environment. As a father, I am pleased with the leadership and the school's direction.

Posted March 18, 2011
Shepherd is a wonderful school, on its way to becoming even better. A lot of the concerns I heard a few years ago, seem to have been--or are being--addressed. Shepherd is now officially an IB school. I love hearing the children say good morning in three different languages during morning assembly. The program is rich and diverse; the community is warm and caring. The school is not perfect and there are a few individual teachers that I feel aren't as good as they could be; but overall, I'm very happy to have my child there.

Posted March 08, 2011
Shepherd is a wonderful neighborhood school in a wonderful neighborhood. We just moved to area and we have two children at Shepherd ES - we have lucked out!

Posted October 20, 2010
This is a wonderful school with great teachers/staff, and great parent/community involvment. All of my children began their educations there. Our music program is outstanding and our language program is making great strides.

Shepherd Elementary School 0

Posted October 18, 2010
Great teachers. Very loving, caring and smart!

Find the great schools in Washington Dc

Shepherd Elementary School
7800 14th Street Northwest, Washington, DC  20012
Last modified Shepherd Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Shepherd Elementary School Rating: 2 out of 5 based on 74 reviews.