Posted September 25, 2013
This school is AMAZING. All of the staff are amazing definitely care about the students. Also, if aftercare is provided, and there are a number of activities, including chess, steel drums,karate, and a number of other amazing activities. PS:The lunch there is not only healthy, but delicious!

Posted August 22, 2013
My daughter attended this school from 3rd through 6th grade. She a grew a lot in those years and she has become such a positive young lady. She has graduated now and we will certainly miss the sense of community at this school. It is truly a special place and I feel that she is both socially and academically prepared for the future.

Posted April 30, 2013
The children are happy to learn in this school, the academics are good, and everyone is involved. The language immersion here is really good as well.

Elsie Whitlow Stokes Community Freedom PCS 4

Posted January 05, 2013
I think this is a great environment for the kids who attend. The physical space is clean; nice playgrounds - 2 separate (for younger and older kids. The teachers my daughter has Pre K French) are great. They are warm and seem really concerned about the welfare of the students. I am really excited that my daughter comes home speaking words from a new language (we speak english at home). She is able to tell me a new word everyday. I do not know the principal... and I cant understand why. I've asked who the principal is, and I just have never seen her. Non-the-less, the school seems well organized. Special events are handled well. I get letters every week updating me on what is happening at the school, and how I can participate Overall, I am really satisfied. The one drawback is that the academic challenge seems week. I think there is much more of a focus on languages and the immersion concept. Meeting / stimulating individual needs seems to be on the back burner.

Elsie Whitlow Stokes Community Freedom PCS 3

Posted December 22, 2012
This school is a mixed bag. Some teachers are superb, others not so much. Admin generally does a poor job engaging parents and it can take forever to get an issue resolved, assuming it does get resolved. The property is great, but the classrooms are tiny, which can cause issues among kids. The language immersion program is a key reason why we came, but that's mixed, too, although it does seem to be improving. (Kids who do not speak a second language at home rarely leave bilingual.) Still, it is a warm and welcoming place, and there is an open door policy for parents, which is great. On-site chef is great, which means school lunches are excellent. Great playground, allows for fantastic parent community to develop. I'd recommend this school for kids who can handle close quarters and who are interested in learning the rudiments of a second language.

Posted November 12, 2012
Great school! Dedicated teachers. Students love being there. I love the fact that all students learn French or Spanish.

Elsie Whitlow Stokes Community Freedom PCS 3

Posted November 11, 2011
Great school, one drawback....the academics are weak. The environment. Is absolutely wonderful. You can tell everyone pretty much enjoys working and loves children. The school lacks a gifted curriculum as well as attention to providing for rigorous instruction for these special learners. Teachers are skilled with scaffolding but not extending. Such a shame, it is truly a jewel.

Posted February 01, 2011
Great School which gets better every year. I love the language immersion program. Faculty and staff are excellent.

Posted July 23, 2010
My family loves this school! The teachers and administration are awesome! It's very family-oriented and everyone goes out of their way to make sure each child succeeds. We have a personal chef who cooks breakfast and lunch, using ingredients from our very own garden. Our scholars learn French and Spanish, take art and/or music 2 times a week and gym everyday! We have an active parent committee, which I'm a part of, that you can join to help make the school even better. You couldn't ask for more!

Posted May 14, 2010
The minute you walk in the doors, you can feel the warmth and welcoming nature of the school. Amazing teachers, administration and scholars. We feel very lucky to be part of this school.

Find the great schools in Washington DC

Elsie Whitlow Stokes Community Freedom PCS
3700 Oakview Terrace, NE, Washington, DC  20017
Last modified Elsie Whitlow Stokes Community Freedom PCS is a Charter school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Elsie Whitlow Stokes Community Freedom PCS Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 87 reviews. Top