Paul PCS

Charter | 6-9 | 700 students

We are best known for our Academics, Arts and Athletics.

Sweep tile

Posted March 25, 2014

When we started out, we were over impressed. I was a little skeptical when they wanted to add the International High School. I know it's all about the academics but the issue I'm having is the middle/highschool combined. Although the 9th/10th grade classes are held in another section, it still feels like middle school. I'm not sure if the highschoolers have the same extra curricular activities. My child loves robotics, nothing of that sort is being offered. It's still an excellent school, I'm just not sure the highschool is ready. I do appreciate class size as a whole whereas my child wouldn't feel lost in a large capacity highschool.

Posted March 24, 2014

Paul is an ok school. I find them to have the resources it takes to teach kids however they do NOT push the kids hard enough. My son comes home with every bit of 5 MINUTES worth of homework. I have to get books for him to read on my own and give him extra work at home to challenge him because Paul does not do that. If they did they would be a pretty good school.

Posted November 16, 2013

I have to be honest and report that the high school is simply NOT READY!! I can see it with my own eyes and my child tells me certain things that he notices as well. I also noticed they can't seem to keep a a staff. There is a lot of turnovers. The Chemistry teacher quit the first week of school and they just hired a new teacher starting the 2nd advisory which means my child has lost out on learning for the 1st quarter. The space is very tight for the 10th grades. I am truly not pleased and is very disappointed.

Posted October 24, 2013

My school is a Tier 1 School with excellent academic classes as well as excellent arts and athletics classes and programs. Paul was a traditional DC public middle school until 2000 when its then principal, Cecile Middleton, converted the school to a charter school. Paul continues to serve primarily students who live nearby. Five years ago Paul PCS added a ninth grade academy so that graduates from 8th grade who were not ready for a large high school environment could stay another year. Last year, the DC Public Charter School Board approved the expansion of Paul PCS to include a full high school. In August of this year, Paul welcomed 10th graders who will be the first graduating class in 2016. Paul's high school offers an international studies program designed to teach students the skills they will need not only to go to college but also to be responsible global citizens. Each high school student will be expected to have an international study experience before graduation. Paul offers a warm, nurturing environment as well as rigorous academic classes.

Posted October 17, 2013

Paul PCS is an awesome school with a great environment for both the students and the staff. As we continue to see the decline in graduation rates for our students across the nation, we understand the need to keep our Paul scholars here for middle and high school and that is why we're expanding from 6-9 to 6-12th, graduating our first class in 2016. We're excited to be able to offer this opportunity to our Paul M.E.R.I.T. Scholars. With an intensive academic curriculum, students have the opportunity to shine in arts and athletics as well. Paul's staff is extremely family oriented, which really helps with your day to day at the school! GO PIRATES!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted July 18, 2013

Paul Public Charter school. I have three children that attend paul 6,7,and 8. When my now 8th grader was in 6th grade paul was a decent school, but over the years it has declined. It seems that the administration are more concerned with the number of students that they have that they are now excepting and tolerating any kind of misbehavior from children. The head of school can only be seen when it's time to stand up in front of parents for an award ceremony but you can't get in touch with her on a day to day. The some of the teachers are just there for a pay check and it shows no requiring much from the students. I would not recommend Paul and the stage it is at right now. Forgot to mention the secretaries in the main office that act like when you call the office it's a inconvience to them and are very moody. As a parent I am very disappointed.

Posted June 8, 2011

Paul is an excellent school where students are carefully placed into classes based on their needs and strengths. It's principal is caring and passionate about the success of all Paul students. I have worked there for 6 years and am proud to say that above all else, the staff care about student success and act accordingly. We had a record number of students this year move on to competitive private high schools and have prepared them for the challenge. There is a wide variety of free extra-curricular activities and programs to support students academically and socially.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted November 3, 2009

My daughter has been attending Paul since the 6th grade and has continued to excel each year. The curriculum is excellent and the staff works hard to keep the parent well informed on student status. My daughter will be going to high school next year and I am confident that she has acquired all the necessary skills that will allow her continued success in the future.

Posted October 7, 2009

The staff at Paul really care about the children and they go an extra mile to help them receive the best education possible.

Posted September 27, 2009

I am a former student (class of '09') and I have to say Paul is on of the best public charter schools in the District. The teachers really do want you to do their best and the principal was great. Although she retired at the end of the SY 08-09, she was one of those principals who you actually get to see in the hallways everyday instead of hiding behind her desk all day and only coming out to speak at only graduations and assemblies like other principals. The school tries to give every student as much opportunities as possible. However, it's not perfect. The foreign language program could be much better and alot of the students can be very rude and ignorant, but you can make good friends there (i did).

Posted February 10, 2009

I love this school I love the curriculum and the way my child is challenged at this school now I know I made the best choice for my child

Posted February 6, 2009

This year is my son's first year attending Paul, and I've been impressed with the school. I thought the transition to middle school was going to be difficult for my son, but Paul made adapting to the sixth grade as smooth as I would have liked.

Posted March 24, 2008

this is an excellent school. The teachers keep you well informed about your child, and the parents are very involved with the school. The staff is wonderful and they truly care about the success of your child.

Posted November 27, 2007

I was a student and Paul has made me who I am today and lated me know that I could get far in my life.

Posted April 6, 2007

I am a student at Paul. Paul overall is one of the best middle school in DC. You learn so much and receive so many opportunities. Paul prepares you for high school. I applied to many boarding schools for high school and I was accepted into all of them. The teachers at Paul always show support and their musicals are phenomenal. If you have ever experienced our Character Education Supervisor you know from the start your child will become very disciplined here. We have MERIT time in which students can relax, read and improve our vocabulary. Paul offers so many extra curricular and elective classes. The foreign language department work intesively to give us the best education as well. I am glad and proud to be a Paul student.
—Submitted by a student

Posted March 15, 2007

Paul Public Charter has been the best middle school for my child. I am sorry I did not enrolled her since the 7th grade. The teachers are wonderful, and I am really happy with their discipline. It also helps my child choose a good high school.

Posted May 5, 2006

I am the parent of a 7th grader at paul. I have read the reviews and would like to add my own. My son is having a great experiance at paul. He has attended both public and private schools. I believe that paul's environment is well structured, its academic programs strong, the administration both thoughtful and in control, and the teachers genuinely concerned. There will always be those who are unhappy with something when it comes to schools regarding either their experience or their child's. Not every place is for every learner- it's a fact. I know this: whenever i contact teachers, they respond; we work as a team in my son's educational experience. Conferences not only include grades but discussions on how to help my son be a better role model and a better leader. He is excited and doing well. We love paul! (this is not a paid endorsement!)

Posted March 21, 2006

I am a parent of a 7th grader who was part of the first 6th grade class. I decided to remove my child from the DC Public School system and try the charter school experience. She excelled wonderfully. I have been more than happy with the teachers and administrators and highly recommend Paul.

Posted November 26, 2005

I am a student at Paul Public Charter School. This school is strict but fun. My mother is so impress by the teachers and principal. She was so happy that I got into it. To me she was over excited! But i can say that this school is the best! I hope parents enroll their children into this school.
—Submitted by a student

Posted July 1, 2005

I have read these comments, and just like everything at that school, it is just a front trying to put the school in a good light.Paul is no better than any other public or charter school.The administration does alot of cover up and coaching students as well as their parents to say good things about the school.....its like do something good for me I'll do something good for you in return.What needs to happen.....make a plea for past employees and get feedback from them.
—Submitted by a former student

Math

The state average for Math was 53% in 2013.

104 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 42% in 2013.

103 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Washington, D.C. used the District of Columbia Comprehensive Assessment System (DC-CAS) to test students in reading and math in grades 3 through 8 and 10, science in grades 5, 8, and 10, and composition in grades 4, 7, and 10. The DC-CAS is a standards-based testing program, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the District of Columbia. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

132 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 56% in 2013.

133 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

139 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

178 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 55% in 2013.

178 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

182 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2011.

457 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 48% in 2011.

457 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 41% in 2011.

182 students were tested at this school in 2011.

All Students70%

Black, non-Hispanic67%
Economically disadvantaged64%

All Students60%

Source: Office of the State Superintendent of Education

In 2012-2013, this school was designated "Rising".

The DC school classification system includes multiple measures to evaluate performance and student growth. The possible classifications, from highest to lowest, are Reward, Rising, Developing, Focus and Priority. These measures include the DC CAS, annual growth, graduation rates, attendance rates and participation rates. Under the system, required under the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA), each school is given a School Index Score based on the performance of its students. Schools receive different levels of support, resources, flexibility and monitoring based on their classification.

Source: Office of the State Superintendent of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

The graphs below compare this school's results in each area to other schools in the city.

Test score rating 20131What's this?

Test score rating examines how students at this school performed on standardized tests in the District of Columbia. Test scores are based on 2012-13 DC CAS results.

This school
City

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
City

1 This rating is based on 2012-13 DC CAS results from the DC Office of the State Superintendent of Education (OSSE).

2 This rating is based on 2012-13 Median Growth Percentiles in math and reading from the DC Office of the State Superintendent of Education (OSSE).

Hispanic 7% N/A

Limited English proficient 98%N/AN/A
Not limited English proficient 97%N/AN/A
Source: DCPS, 2009-2010

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Security personnel
School psychologist
School social worker/counselors(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Chinese (Mandarin)
French
Spanish
Vietnamese
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • PCSB Tier 1 School (2012)
  • PCSB Tier 1 School (2013)

Special education / special needs

Extra learning resources offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

School start time
  • 8:35 am
School end time
  • 4:15 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school: ends at 7:00 p.m.
  • Jami D.H. Dunham
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • development@paulcharter.org
  • Coed
Special schedule
  • Block scheduling
  • Extended/longer school day
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (202) 291-7495

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• College prep
  • Honors track
  • Individually guided instruction
  • Project-based
  • Standards-based
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered
  • Significant developmental delay
  • Speech and language impairments
Foreign languages taught
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered
Vocational or skills-based training offered
  • None

• Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • School psychologist
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Security personnel
College preparation / awareness resources offered
  • School-sponsored trips to college campuses
  • Visiting teachers or lecturers from colleges
Transportation options
  • Transportation provided for special education students only
  • Access to sports fields
  • Music room
  • Outdoor learning lab
  • Parent center
  • Performance stage
Partnerships with local resources and organizations

Sports

• Improv
Media arts
  • None

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Art club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Proctor exams
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Tutor