Washington, DC
Before care: Yes

Posted September 11, 2014
My children have attended Leckie for three years. Two of those years were awesome. The teachers are phenomenal, but leadership in that school is atrocious. The lack of communication is disappointing. Atasha James is a horrible principal. If you don't agree with her, then you are against her and she will not listening to your side or your opinion. It's sad what Leckie has become under her leadership. I would not recommend you send your kids there. They deserve better.

Leckie Elementary School 3

Posted June 18, 2014
All I can say is that this school has changed drastically in one year. Every since Mr. Wright left, the school has gone downhill. I wasn't his biggest fan. However, when he was here, there was order and the teachers and students seemed happy. The new principal is all about her own self and does not have the school, students or teachers as her priority. It's all about her.....my daughter will not be returning to Leckie next year.

Leckie Elementary School 4

Posted May 06, 2014
Those who have negative things to say about Leckie elementary school are ones who have no idea what is actually going on there. I have three children attending school there currently. They love it and I love the teachers and staff. I also volunteer there on a regular basis. If your kid is having issues it is your kid not the school that has the problem. Don't blame them. Instead try using the array of academic support systems in place at the school for academic concerns. As military the base will give referrals to behavioral health in VA. The only concern that I have is parent involvement. It seems that it is always the same few parents that are helping out, and no it is not only military parents I see. I am actually pretty disheartened by the lack of military parents that support the school yet complain about anything having to do with the school.

Posted April 21, 2014
This school is a joke. My child goes here due to it being a servicing school for the Military. All I can say is I have not had any luck. The teacher makes my child to be the devil child. When just a few months ago when I was stationed at another school she was an angel. How can she go from good to bad. I have spoken to other parents who are having the same issues. The teacher will claim that the child is doing poorly acedemcly but will then recieve an "A" in the class.

Leckie Elementary School 3

Posted January 29, 2014
I am saddened that the behavior specialist is no longer at leckie elementary. I am a military parent and can honestly say that he showed kids and parents so much love. Now that he is no longer there the kids are unsuppervised in the morning and they are acting out in the school. The two individuals who are supposed to be in charge of behavior are nowhere to be found. No matter leckie is still a great school unfortunately know one can replace the behavior specalist that used to be there.

Leckie Elementary School 4

Posted August 30, 2012
Better school than the rating indicates. I've put my kids in here, and I had a choice; I'm glad I did. --Many more military folks have kids in this school in the last few years. The demographics have changed a bit from 2010. Good folks in the community, though. --Key useful point: If your kid is reading at third grade and doing math at second grade, that's the class he or she goes to. No stigma either way; the teaching is to the level appropriate to the student. This is good for advanced students and those who are struggling. --Some support for special needs kids. There are schools in the district with more resources for autistic/etc students, so above a certain level children usually go to a different school nearby. --Drumline and fencing for older students. --New interior renovation summer 2012. Our kids like the new renovation; I like the safety improvements. --Strong principal. Good leadership. --Budget cuts over the last three years have eliminated the library tech, the Spanish teacher, and some other teachers. The core is still good. --Some of the admin staff have poor customer service skills; most are just fine. --Teachers are dedicated and friendly.

Posted May 15, 2012
By far the worst school I've ever seen! It's been nothing but problems with the teachers and principal since day one. Disorganized and highly unprofessional staff.

Posted September 23, 2011
I had my inihibitions about sending my children to this school because of the negative things I've heard about DC Public Schools. Quite the contrary...I am thoroughly impressed with the curriculum for my 3rd grader. He is being challenged to the highest degree!!!! The teachers and parents are very involved an extremely motivated. I dont regret sending my kids here one bit...highly recommended!!

Posted August 29, 2011
This school has gone through some major changes over the last couple of years. It went from a school I was nervous about sending my kids to, too a school that I would recommend to anyone in the area. The teachers are amazing, the staff is always kind and willing to help, and Mr. Wright is also an amazing man that the kids look up to. He's doing a fantastic job; especially with the addition of so many military children. He is meeting every parent, student, and staff members needs to the best of his ability. I'm glad my children are going here.

Posted March 29, 2011
I have two children currently enrolled Kindergarten and 6th grade this was our first year with our children enrolled in this school and it has been a pleasent experience. We are a military family living in Bolling AFB just a few minutes away and we have been pleasently surprised by the teachers.

Find the great schools in Washington DC

Leckie Elementary School
4201 Martin Luther King Junior Avenue Southwest, Washington, DC  20032
Last modified Leckie Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Leckie Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 18 reviews. Top