Public charter
Washington, DC

Posted November 13, 2014
I wrote a review a while back before my 3 year old daughter actually began the school year at DC Prep. I think I understand some of the comments posted below but when I say the routines and discipline taught and encouraged at the school are beneficial, I mean it. Now my daughter knew and was able to do quite a bit before attending and she is surely blossoming now. Her math skills are on the kindergarten level and her teachers are great. The staff is obviously committed to ensuring each Preppie receives the attention necessary-they are attentive as soon as you hit the door. Staff that do not teach my child know her by name and greet her as such. I don't have enough space here to rave about her teachers but they are responsive, patient yet stern, available, and understanding. The communications are consistent and deliberate. My daughter will return next year.

DC Prep -- Edgewood Elementary Campus 4

Posted November 13, 2014
I still believe EEC is an awesome school! The teachers are dedicated. Although there is no extra curricula for th, because Academics is number 1.

DC Prep -- Edgewood Elementary Campus 3

Posted November 12, 2014
DC Prep really excels academically, but I fear that my child is being prepped for the military more-so than college. The expectations are stifling, the consequences are egregious, and there is no social factor. I appreciate the fact that my son is excelling in the classroom, but I am also concerned that he's becoming a tightly-wound, over-achiever, with no identity or voice at his school.

DC Prep -- Edgewood Elementary Campus 1

Posted May 16, 2014
This is my daughters fifth year at DC Prep EEC and she will NOT be returning next year. They have went from having high exceptions for all the children to now treating them like soldiers and are only concerned about statistics. They set unrealistic expectations and rules. There are a couple of good teachers left but the new administration only cares about keeping up the reputation not the children! I am very disappointed at what the school has become. Another reviewer (teacher from the Benning Campus) said it best "teachers are forced to implement a developmentally inappropriate model of education where creative thinking and individuality suffer at the expense of a high-stakes, militaristic atmosphere." If you are willing to sacrifice your child's individuality, creativity, self-esteem, social and emotional development for academics, then this school will be perfect. Otherwise look elsewhere as soon as possible!!

Posted March 20, 2014
I was in your shoes last year; reading reviews and pouring over all the information I could get when deciding where to apply for my daughter. Fast forward 1 year, I have no hesitation in saying that DC Prep should be your #1 choice if academics are where you want your child to excel. Also my daughter had a speech delay that was met with patience and understanding. It's been amazing to hear her quickly catch up to her peers. (Speech therapist on staff had great communication with me, everyone worked together.) Each teacher has an extraordinary quality that serves to benefit our children's education. Their website and open house are very informative; there are activities for families throughout the year, field trips, and if you want to be more involved you can join PAT. (Parent Action Team, version of the PTA.) Conveniently, Metro is right there. A ramp is being built right now connecting the RI Ave Station to the nearby bike path, making the walk from Metro 5 minutes.

DC Prep -- Edgewood Elementary Campus 2

Posted March 20, 2014
I heard that this was a great school. My three year old son had been enrolled since the fall. I had high hopes for this year. I have been disappointed, because they do not run their ECE program to my expectations. They treat the children like they are teenagers when they are only three and four years old. They do not use DAP. Children this young still need the whole child treatment backed by NAEYC the worlds leading Education Association. I have decided that my child will not return to this school next year.

DC Prep -- Edgewood Elementary Campus 3

Posted October 21, 2013
I really wish the location was better. the school needs better parking options for parents. Over all the school is good.

Posted June 01, 2013
My son started 3rd grade at DC Prep fall of 2012. DC Prep believes that all students can perform on grade level. That is the reason I love DC Prep. My son is intelligent but has ADHD. When he attended DCPS he was not learning because of his behavior. DC Prep found ways to teach my son, recognize his disability and still effectively hold him responsible for his behavior. They provide him with services for his ADHD while incorporating ways for him to control his behavior. DC Prep keeps me well informed. I truly believe that my family and the school being on the same page and working together helps my son tremendously. DC Prep doesn't offer sports but I don't mind it because although I feel extra curricular activities are very important, I feel that education is even more important. A lot of students that come into DC Prep come in below grade level. This leaves DC Prep with the responsibility to bring their incoming students up to grade level, which results in a long school day full of academics and no time for much extracurricular. My son is eager to start 4th grade this fall at the middle school. I love this school so much that my three year old will be starting there this fall.

Posted May 20, 2013
I've worked at DC Prep for two years and have grown tremendously as a teacher because of the coaching and support from the administration. I especially love the teacher community at DC Prep. Every teacher is committed to his or her students and is eager to share best practices in elementary education. I also love working at a school that is committed to academics and character education. Overall, DC Prep is a great place to work if want to impact kids in DC.

Posted May 23, 2012
My youngest son has been at this school for 2 years and this as a result of me falling in love with the middle school that my oldest attends. I absolutely love the teachers, the environment and most importantly, the academics. I have no doubt that he will continue to excel and go beyond his potential as he is continually challenged.

Find the great schools in Washington DC

DC Prep -- Edgewood Elementary Campus
707 Edgewood Street, NE, Washington, DC  20017
Last modified DC Prep -- Edgewood Elementary Campus is a Charter school that serves grades PK-3
DC Prep -- Edgewood Elementary Campus Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 16 reviews. Top