Bad
Good

First let me say that the academics are exceptional! They really push the children to strive for excellence and academic superiority. Now with that being said, the school culture is HORRIFIC! I am all for structure and discipline but this school goes WAYY too far. They seem to be so concerned with conformity and structure that they lose sight of each child's individuality. At the end of the day , these are children, not soliders in our military! My children have only been there since August and have received multiple consequences for things like sharpening a pencil during advisory, suspected talking during a fire drill ( the teacher could not prove it was my child , only that the talking came from his direction) not wearing a belt( my child was in FULL uniform and his pants were not sagging at all, he just forgot his belt) endangering his safety ( he was helping a friend tie his shoe and the teacher said that she could not find him). I am removing my children by the end of the week.. I am disappointed because I chose this school because of its academic record, but I refuse to let my children feel uncomfortable,scared or anxious in their learning environment... If any DC prep staff is reading this, You seriously need to do better!

Working with the Administration has been a nightmare! Starting with the enrollment team it has been an uphill battle to get anything other than snarky responses and attitudes. Unprofessional staff, automated systems that make it impossible for any individualized care, and poor customer service create a adversarial atmosphere from enrollment on. Instead of sending your child to a place where learning is fun, parents will be horrified to learn that you have sent your child to military school where you are no longer in charge of your child's education and the staff could care less. I felt like I was dealing with Comcast customer support! I am so glad I pulled my child from this school.

DC Prep supports students with rigorous academics and a culture of love and belief in the success of all its students. As a teacher I find new and better ways to support my students each day through extensive feedback and PD opportunities.

I wrote a review a while back before my 3 year old daughter actually began the school year at DC Prep. I think I understand some of the comments posted below but when I say the routines and discipline taught and encouraged at the school are beneficial, I mean it. Now my daughter knew and was able to do quite a bit before attending and she is surely blossoming now. Her math skills are on the kindergarten level and her teachers are great. The staff is obviously committed to ensuring each Preppie receives the attention necessary-they are attentive as soon as you hit the door. Staff that do not teach my child know her by name and greet her as such. I don't have enough space here to rave about her teachers but they are responsive, patient yet stern, available, and understanding. The communications are consistent and deliberate. My daughter will return next year.

I still believe EEC is an awesome school! The teachers are dedicated. Although there is no extra curricula for th, because Academics is number 1.

DC Prep really excels academically, but I fear that my child is being prepped for the military more-so than college. The expectations are stifling, the consequences are egregious, and there is no social factor. I appreciate the fact that my son is excelling in the classroom, but I am also concerned that he's becoming a tightly-wound, over-achiever, with no identity or voice at his school.

This is my daughters fifth year at DC Prep EEC and she will NOT be returning next year. They have went from having high exceptions for all the children to now treating them like soldiers and are only concerned about statistics. They set unrealistic expectations and rules. There are a couple of good teachers left but the new administration only cares about keeping up the reputation not the children! I am very disappointed at what the school has become. Another reviewer (teacher from the Benning Campus) said it best "teachers are forced to implement a developmentally inappropriate model of education where creative thinking and individuality suffer at the expense of a high-stakes, militaristic atmosphere." If you are willing to sacrifice your child's individuality, creativity, self-esteem, social and emotional development for academics, then this school will be perfect. Otherwise look elsewhere as soon as possible!!

I heard that this was a great school. My three year old son had been enrolled since the fall. I had high hopes for this year. I have been disappointed, because they do not run their ECE program to my expectations. They treat the children like they are teenagers when they are only three and four years old. They do not use DAP. Children this young still need the whole child treatment backed by NAEYC the worlds leading Education Association. I have decided that my child will not return to this school next year.

I really wish the location was better. the school needs better parking options for parents. Over all the school is good.

My son started 3rd grade at DC Prep fall of 2012. DC Prep believes that all students can perform on grade level. That is the reason I love DC Prep. My son is intelligent but has ADHD. When he attended DCPS he was not learning because of his behavior. DC Prep found ways to teach my son, recognize his disability and still effectively hold him responsible for his behavior. They provide him with services for his ADHD while incorporating ways for him to control his behavior. DC Prep keeps me well informed. I truly believe that my family and the school being on the same page and working together helps my son tremendously. DC Prep doesn't offer sports but I don't mind it because although I feel extra curricular activities are very important, I feel that education is even more important. A lot of students that come into DC Prep come in below grade level. This leaves DC Prep with the responsibility to bring their incoming students up to grade level, which results in a long school day full of academics and no time for much extracurricular. My son is eager to start 4th grade this fall at the middle school. I love this school so much that my three year old will be starting there this fall.

Last modified DC Prep -- Edgewood Elementary Campus is a Charter school that serves grades PK-3