Lafayette Elementary School 2

Posted April 29, 2014
For the amount of $$ DC spends on each child, which is one of the highest per student allotments in the entire country, this is unacceptable. I get the impression that Lafayette parents are just so relived to be in one of the better DC school zones. Other schools in DCPS are shameful and literacy rates are low. If I hear Kaya Henderson brag that DC has one of the largest increases of test scores one more time... Of course DCPS has improved scores more than say Fairfax/Montgomery. Those systems are operating with test scores in the 90 percentile & have little room for academic improvement. DC scores are so low that it is virtually impossible to go anywhere but up. Going from the 16th to the 24th percentile is a gain but an embarrassment. Lafayette is not a great or even good school. It is an okay school at best, academically speaking. The principal leaves much to be desired. I can't think of one positive thing to say about her except she does a fine job keeping the parents in the dark. Ignorance is bliss. New leadership should improve Lafayette. We believe in public education but realized our children would receive years of mediocre education. Can't get those years back.

Posted February 24, 2014
My child left Lafayette during winter break and is doing much better in her new school. She is learning more and has a better teacher. After 3 years at Lafayette, it is nice to have her in a school with fewer problems. I didn't realize how stressful it was for us as a family until we left the school. I enjoy the new parents group as well,. not as much rah-rah and hype as we found at Lafayette, but honest dialogue between mature adults

Lafayette Elementary School 2

Posted August 14, 2013
Agree with all the comments about hit or miss teachers. Tend to agree with comment about strong Lafayette boosters not really understanding what a good school is. Strong fundraising has not improved the quality of the school and there doesn't seem to be any interest of the parents to do so, there is more interest and motivation in protecting the feeder to another DCPS. Odd. We will hopefully go charter next year but this will thankfully be our last at Lafayette. Fingers crossed that we will have luck on our side for teachers.

Lafayette Elementary School 5

Posted August 10, 2013
I am a former student of Lafayette and I have just graduated from the fifth grade. Lafayette is an amazing school with so many opportunities for all ages. The kids are respectful of one another and I feel I have learned a lot in the past seven years. I only have experience with 2 bad teachers but the others were fabulous. I made so many friends at lafayette and I will miss it horribly. Overall, I recommend lafayette as a school to any child. -Elise R

Lafayette Elementary School 3

Posted July 25, 2013
Lafayette may still be one of the strongest elementary schools in DC, but unfortunately it has many problems. My child just graduated from 5th and the experience has definitely been mixed. First and third grade teachers were excellent, second and fourth grade pretty solid. Kindergarten and fifth grade teachers were awful. The fifth grade at Lafayette is a disaster. Our child's teacher was extremely disorganized, unkind towards the children, and left projects uncompleted. This awful teacher was hired just two years ago, which leads one to wonder how a school with a good reputation accepted someone whose standards are so low. The positives are the good teachers, the fantastic art teacher, strong music program and arts integration. Parent involvement has been historically extremely strong, which has helped the school raise money for arts programs and renovations, but seems to be falling off. The kids are mostly great and there is very little bullying or behavior problems but some parents can be cliquey and snobbish to a comical degree for a group of adults.

Lafayette Elementary School 4

Posted June 24, 2013
Lafayette is a good school. Maybe not great, but it does a fine job given the limitations faced by any school. The music program is great - there are lots of instruments available to the student to use, for free. The only real reason I am posting here is to provide a little balance to some of the angry comments. I'm disturbed by references to "uneducated" parents in more than one comment. Is this some sort of coded language for differences of race, class, or neighborhood? I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but I am. In any case, don't get dragged into the sniping and criticizing. There are pluses and minuses to every school - Lafayette is no different. Show up, get to know your kids' teachers and the staff. Say hello, smile. Be friendly. You might be surprised at the good things you will see and hear.

Posted June 22, 2013
Thank heavens the school year is over! This will be our last year at Lafayette and I won't miss it. No my child is not graduating, we are just pulling her out to get her into a good school. One of the odd things about Lafayette is all the hype and rah-rah that surrounds it. The parents who think it is an excellent school, tend to be uneducated themselves, so are unable to distinguish a good school from a bad one. I am so glad we won't be returning, this is a happy day for at least one Lafayette parent. We are getting our child out before too much damage has been done, and she is not too far behind her peers.

Lafayette Elementary School 4

Posted June 22, 2013
We relocated from the SF Bay Area last year and our children (first and second grade) were previously in a small private school. Lafayette as definitely an adjustment for them but at the end of the school year they both had tears in their eyes because they were leaving their teachers and friends for the summer. The thing that sticks out for me is the ownership of the school that the parents have taken on. The previous post has it wrong, we found highly educated, caring, and well rounded parents at Lafayette. Very few schools are perfect but we are very happy to be part of the Lafayette community.

Posted April 14, 2013
There is a high variation in the quality of teachers, but the biggest problem is the literal lack of walls. The school uses dividers, or sometimes rows of lockers or cubbies, to separate classrooms in otherwise large open sections of the school. Unfortunately, this does not reduce the sound from other adjacent classes. The refusal to construct actual walls between classes makes it very difficult for the children to focus on the teacher an also makes it very difficult for the teachers to keep the children's attention. The school benefits greatly from the wealthy families who are able to raise considerable amounts of money to fund equipment and additional teachers.

Lafayette Elementary School 3

Posted November 30, 2012
Lafayette seems to suffer from the classic problem of how hard it is to get rid of bad teachers. After 5 years years of wonderful teachers at lafayette prek thru 3rd grade...we have suffered the bad attitude of a teacher this year, While great leadership from the adimin staff seem to be helpful, the end result is the children in this 4th grade class seem to learn nothing other than adults can be mean spirited too. IT is so hard to see how three of 4 teachers in a grade can be amazing and one can be out right detrimental. We had a fourth grader who had an amazing year last year learned a lot and had wonderful and kind teacher. We have our second son in 4th grade this year and have a different set of teachers and a totally different experience. Lafayette really suffers from the hit or miss teacher lotto and complete inconsistent curriculum from classroom to classroom in each grade.

Find the great schools in Washington Dc

Lafayette Elementary School
5701 Broad Branch Road Northwest, Washington, DC  20015
Last modified Lafayette Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Lafayette Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 45 reviews.