PK-3|Private

Bad
Good

This is an amazingly nurturing school with excellent teachers that truly love their jobs and want the children to be successful in the classroom. I have a second grader who is thriving at a superior level (according to outside testing) and who begs to go to school on the weekends. I've found the teachers and the administrators highly competent and willing to meet the child wherever they are. My little boy in pre-k is learning more than any "daycare" would ever teach and is already above his age level in his skills. I love this school!

Fantastic in every aspect! I have gotten to watch my niece first hand & the changes have been phenomenal! Thank you to all the teachers and staff for all that you do!

Exceptional combination of competence and nice people at River. They teach our kids hard skills as we'll as social and skills that make them good people. Skills such as empathy will be critical toe kids future success in their personal and professional lives

I love the education that River School has provided my two children. We have been attending River School since 2007, and have watched my kids grow through each academic program. They have been loved as students and encouraged to become independent learners and thinkers. Not only have they pushed my kids to excel at reading, writing and math, they have also developed their problem solving skills. Starting in Kindergarten, they have been reading several grade levels above their grade, writing essays as well as stories, and completing word problems in math. Most of all, I love the fact that my child is being taught by a masters level educator (some even have 2 masters degrees) and a masters level speech and language pathologist.

I recently visited this site and was glad to read that someone wrote a review of The River School that I can agree with. Good daycare, but weak academics in the school age program. I wish I had pulled my child out of the school after Kindergarten. My child was not ready for the academics of 4th Grade. In my experience administration were unresponsive to my concerns and seemed more interested in play activities for 3rd Graders.

The River School provides a good pre-school environment. Unfortunately, the administration of the school consists of people who lack experience in school administration and their incompetency inhibits any potential for a decent school age program. The result is a school age curriculum that lacks academic strength, low enrollment and a high turnover of staff and shockingly unprepared Fourth Grade students. The school should scrape the school age program and concentrate on continuing to provide quality daycare.

Our son is attended River school for three years. This is a dazzlingly good school, with an exceptionally low ratio of students to teachers. My son is never been in a class with more than 12 children and two teachers. Most classes also have a student intern, making the effective ratio for students to one teacher. We couldn't be happier with the growth we've seen from our son since he started attending River school.

I'm amazed to see anything negative about this school. My son has been there 2 years and I think it is so amazing, I can't even put it into words. The Director is truly an inspiration- I look to her for guidance on all things education-related. The programming is so out of the box and my son's development is outstanding, I attributed much of it to the school environment. Aside from that, it's been a really nice community for my husband and I. I considered leaving DC before we started this school, and it's made me feel so rooted I've decided to stay for the long haul.

Excellent school. The teachers have been great and the parent/teacher communication is second to none. We have been very pleased with the development of our son. The quality of education has been equal and in some ways better than our other childen that go to somewhat better known schools. Nancy is a wonderful Head of School and has addressed any issues we have had personally. The River school is one of the best kept secrets in DC. private schools.

Last modified The River School is a Private school that serves grades PK-3