Public charter
Washington, DC

Posted May 22, 2015
PARENTS BEWARE!!!! Do not send your child to this school. This is my child's last year at this school and what a journey we have been through. If you want your child to get into a good high school this is not the place to start.

Posted March 10, 2015
I would not recommend that you send your child to this school. High staff turnover, administration does not seem to care about the students', teachers' and parents' concerns. As a Charter School, this school gets away with a lot of things like who they hire and how they treat staff, students and parents. This School retains lots of substitutes much longer than they should which is out of compliance with Special Education for those with 504 plans. Principal seems out of touch with teachers' and students' needs. Many supply shortages. No transparency at the School. Administration lacks honest communication with the students, teachers and parents. Professional development is lacking. Some students do not feel safe with some of the teachers. School has high percentage of African-American students yet the curriculum is insensitive to their needs. High suspension rate. Find and send your child to another school so you won't regret it too.

Posted February 11, 2015
I am a 7th grader right now at Howard University Middle School. Last year was not the best but it was better than this year! This year, the whole entire social studies department resigned because they were written up for teaching black history. Although, I respect that they needed to leave because of the environment they were in but at the same time leaving is not changing anything! The sad part about this, is that they were not the only ones who left this year....... Multiple teachers have left this year, and whole lot of teachers from last year have left. As most of you guys know, we have been in many news articles, tweets, and talk shows in which we were protesting about what has been going on in school. We listed and stated are demands in the protest, and still have not heard anything from Dr.Blackmon and the schools administrators. If you are thinking about bringing your child to this school, think again! This most definitely should not be your first choice.

Posted February 02, 2015
Prior to this principal (not a pal) firing the ENTIRE SOCIAL SCIENCE DEPARTMENT, apparently in a fit of anger... the PTA had told the administration that we were very unhappy about how the teachers were being treated, and that we wanted these teachers to stay . We told them we WANTED black history in our classrooms. What the hay??? Unresponsive to the parents to the point of flagrant disrespect....

Posted February 01, 2015
Parents, don't be fooled!. Teachers looking to get hired here, beware! I was impressed from what I was told in the beginning. I thought I did my homework on researching this school. Parents told me in previous years the school was good. I'm finding out that this school is going downhill. Wish I'd known the problems before enrolling my child here. Often other parents ask my advice on schools for their children because I'm a school teacher in another school district, with over 15 years experience. The teachers are good at Howard MS2, and the ones my child had were effective & caring. However, the way the Principal talks to the parents and students is like we are all just ignorant and she does not take repsonsiblility for her actions even though they negatively impact the lives of students. She avoids telling the truth by repeating the same vague responses. Teachers are harassed to the point they'd rather "resign" and then administration just says "we didn't fire them". What an insult to the intelligence of ALL of us. My child has 3 substitute teachers teaching her everyday so how is this a free and appropriate public education.? Maybe a class action lawsuit is needed.

Posted January 30, 2015
I have 2 children at this school in 8th and 6th grade. When my son started in 6th grade we were very excited. However, the quality has gove extremely down hill. My 8th grader currently has 4 substitute teachers. The administration has been overheard saying that she does not care about the students who hate the learning conditions at this school and want to leave because there are over 300 people on the waiting list.

Posted January 28, 2015
I am a current student at Howard University Middle School (MS)2 and am happy this is my final year. The school has changed from my first year here. My 6th grade year was fun and I enjoyed it. 7th grade is when things started going downhill. We got a new principal and she left after about a month on the job. We went the rest of the year without a principal. This year we have a new principal and I don't think she knows what she's doing. So far this year we've lost at least 8 teachers and they were the ones that cared the most. They haven't filled the spots and it doesn't look like they are trying to. Now we have lost our 3 favorite teachers which makes 11 teachers gone. This has been a terrible year and once again, am glad that I am leaving. If you are a parent interested in sending your child here, I hope you find this helpful.

Posted January 27, 2015
This school has really changed. It has changed from a school that cares about its students, parents, and teachers to a school that only cares that is solely focused on administration being comfortable. The Principal runs this school like a dictatorship. She is honestly not concerned about students or teachers. As I exit the building at the end of the school day, I constantly hear student comment on how much they hate this school and how much the principal does not care about them. Since the start of the school year, 6 teachers and 1 staff member have left. The vacancies have yet to be filled nor do I believe that they are making an effort to fill them. The principal is so controlling that she tells the people who are leaving that they are not allowed to inform anyone until the day before their last day. Teachers and staff are treated as if we are insignificant. It's almost as if she is running us all out so that she can replace us with what she considers better teachers. What she really means is teachers who will not be required to be treated as human beings.

Posted December 18, 2014
This school is outrages teachers are out of control teachers are calling us stupid down rating us as students you should not put your students in this school they will want to leave you have little teachers who care and the one who cares are teaching the truth but they want the teachers to do what the rest of the teacher do and make the students learn about the stuff that is not true the principal DOSE NOT like KWANZAA WE WERE MAKING kwanza creations and she was talking bout them they take students stuff for the entire school year DO NOT SEND YOUR CHILD HERE

Posted December 18, 2014
Current Student: At ms2 everything is not what it seems we work but its the learning conditions we are in with the teachers and other staff. As a current student here at ms2 we are down graded as a student teachers tell us we are Stupid and wont have a great future. Teachers put kids out for no apparent reason and call parents like the parents do not work. Also the principle Dr.Blackmon does not like culture things and gets mad when students create Kwanzaa and Christmas decorations on the 7th grade floor-#Do not send kids here

Find the great schools in Washington DC

Howard University Middle School PCS
405 Howard Place, NW, Washington, DC  20059
Last modified Howard University Middle School PCS is a Charter school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Howard University Middle School PCS Rating: 2 out of 5 based on 28 reviews. Top