Public charter
Washington, DC

Posted January 30, 2015
I have 2 children at this school in 8th and 6th grade. When my son started in 6th grade we were very excited. However, the quality has gove extremely down hill. My 8th grader currently has 4 substitute teachers. The administration has been overheard saying that she does not care about the students who hate the learning conditions at this school and want to leave because there are over 300 people on the waiting list.

Posted January 28, 2015
I am a current student at Howard University Middle School (MS)2 and am happy this is my final year. The school has changed from my first year here. My 6th grade year was fun and I enjoyed it. 7th grade is when things started going downhill. We got a new principal and she left after about a month on the job. We went the rest of the year without a principal. This year we have a new principal and I don't think she knows what she's doing. So far this year we've lost at least 8 teachers and they were the ones that cared the most. They haven't filled the spots and it doesn't look like they are trying to. Now we have lost our 3 favorite teachers which makes 11 teachers gone. This has been a terrible year and once again, am glad that I am leaving. If you are a parent interested in sending your child here, I hope you find this helpful.
7 people found this helpful

Posted January 27, 2015
This school has really changed. It has changed from a school that cares about its students, parents, and teachers to a school that only cares that is solely focused on administration being comfortable. The Principal runs this school like a dictatorship. She is honestly not concerned about students or teachers. As I exit the building at the end of the school day, I constantly hear student comment on how much they hate this school and how much the principal does not care about them. Since the start of the school year, 6 teachers and 1 staff member have left. The vacancies have yet to be filled nor do I believe that they are making an effort to fill them. The principal is so controlling that she tells the people who are leaving that they are not allowed to inform anyone until the day before their last day. Teachers and staff are treated as if we are insignificant. It's almost as if she is running us all out so that she can replace us with what she considers better teachers. What she really means is teachers who will not be required to be treated as human beings.
12 people found this helpful

Posted December 18, 2014
This school is outrages teachers are out of control teachers are calling us stupid down rating us as students you should not put your students in this school they will want to leave you have little teachers who care and the one who cares are teaching the truth but they want the teachers to do what the rest of the teacher do and make the students learn about the stuff that is not true the principal DOSE NOT like KWANZAA WE WERE MAKING kwanza creations and she was talking bout them they take students stuff for the entire school year DO NOT SEND YOUR CHILD HERE

Howard University Middle School PCS 2

Posted December 18, 2014
Current Student: At ms2 everything is not what it seems we work but its the learning conditions we are in with the teachers and other staff. As a current student here at ms2 we are down graded as a student teachers tell us we are Stupid and wont have a great future. Teachers put kids out for no apparent reason and call parents like the parents do not work. Also the principle Dr.Blackmon does not like culture things and gets mad when students create Kwanzaa and Christmas decorations on the 7th grade floor-#Do not send kids here

Posted December 03, 2014
I am a student and i don't know how i made it 3 years! My six grade year was amazing! that was my best year. Now the school is so disorganized! The teachers are hypocrites, disorganized, and don't know when to admit they are wrong. The students needs some "act right" DON'T BE FULLED BY IT'S NAME

Posted May 25, 2014
I am a 6th grader. The school is so unorganized! I had to return the school computer due to an internal problem, and I still do not have the computer! I returned it on April 21. The school can be cheap as well, this is also the reason I do not have my computer. The school wouldn't pay for the insurance for the school computer. The school basically did EVERYTHING they could to get rid of cheerleading as well. they got rid of every single game the cheerleaders were suppose to cheer at. The teachers can be sarcastic and rude, and it frustrates me when the teacher wouldn't call on me when I have my hand up for basically the whole class, but then expect me to stay in that class late to ask a simple question that could have been answered a long time ago. The sarcasm that some teachers have can be effective but certain teacher's sarcasm can really get to me. The teachers at the school can put TOO MUCH pressure on us. Last Friday, one of my classmates asked one of the 7th/8th grade teachers if their class is hard. The teacher responds "My class is extremely hard, out of all 60 students I teach, only 3 people has an A and 1 person has a A-". I then raised my hand and asked~ TO BE CONTINUED
3 people found this helpful

Posted May 18, 2014
I have been very disappointed by this school and I'm glad this is my child's last year. They talked a great game. My child's 6th grade year was good, but this school and his experience there has gone down hill since. I wish I had taken him out last year. The 8th grade teachers are horrible. They have no control over the students and it's apparent some of them don't like teaching anymore. The Dean of Students lacks experience and judgment. He seems to think the only way to address behavioral problems is to suspend or expel. His mantra is guilty, guilty, guilty, even if proven innocent later. The school lacks leadership. The new principal left after two months into the school year. They are searching for a new principal now, but It will take a lot more than getting a new principal to fix this school. And the Executive Director has his head in the clouds. Don't waste your time. Your child deserves better.
2 people found this helpful

Posted May 09, 2014
This school is not the best to choose for your child. The teachers and other authorities involved in the school are self-involved. They seem to want to ruin the kids reputation and future. They make petty excuses for suspending your kid or putting them out of class. My daughter was recently suspended for reading a book that was written by someone and not doing nothing at all but sitting it down. But since they say "she should have handed it to the teacher," she got suspended and now can not graduate nor participate in any 8th grade trips. And my daughter has been here for 3 years now makes good grades and even gets the school known for HER hard work and they tell her she can not go to her graduate. It is insane.! Don't bring your kid here it will bring much trouble in your life. For this school to get better it would need better leadership specifically I would say the Dean Of Students. I have no respect for him at this point. I would say I like the few opportunities that run by the school and my child takes advantage of. Other than that...Don't go!

Howard University Middle School PCS 3

Posted April 15, 2014
My school is not as good as they say it is. I know that because I went there. The teachers don't have experience and they don't know what it is to teach. Not all of the teachers are like this but a lot of them are. The thing I liked about the school is that they give out free MacBook computers.

Find the great schools in Washington DC

Howard University Middle School PCS
405 Howard Place, NW, Washington, DC  20059
Last modified Howard University Middle School PCS is a Charter school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Howard University Middle School PCS Rating: 2 out of 5 based on 28 reviews. Top