Posted May 25, 2014
I am a 6th grader. The school is so unorganized! I had to return the school computer due to an internal problem, and I still do not have the computer! I returned it on April 21. The school can be cheap as well, this is also the reason I do not have my computer. The school wouldn't pay for the insurance for the school computer. The school basically did EVERYTHING they could to get rid of cheerleading as well. they got rid of every single game the cheerleaders were suppose to cheer at. The teachers can be sarcastic and rude, and it frustrates me when the teacher wouldn't call on me when I have my hand up for basically the whole class, but then expect me to stay in that class late to ask a simple question that could have been answered a long time ago. The sarcasm that some teachers have can be effective but certain teacher's sarcasm can really get to me. The teachers at the school can put TOO MUCH pressure on us. Last Friday, one of my classmates asked one of the 7th/8th grade teachers if their class is hard. The teacher responds "My class is extremely hard, out of all 60 students I teach, only 3 people has an A and 1 person has a A-". I then raised my hand and asked~ TO BE CONTINUED

Posted May 18, 2014
I have been very disappointed by this school and I'm glad this is my child's last year. They talked a great game. My child's 6th grade year was good, but this school and his experience there has gone down hill since. I wish I had taken him out last year. The 8th grade teachers are horrible. They have no control over the students and it's apparent some of them don't like teaching anymore. The Dean of Students lacks experience and judgment. He seems to think the only way to address behavioral problems is to suspend or expel. His mantra is guilty, guilty, guilty, even if proven innocent later. The school lacks leadership. The new principal left after two months into the school year. They are searching for a new principal now, but It will take a lot more than getting a new principal to fix this school. And the Executive Director has his head in the clouds. Don't waste your time. Your child deserves better.

Posted May 09, 2014
This school is not the best to choose for your child. The teachers and other authorities involved in the school are self-involved. They seem to want to ruin the kids reputation and future. They make petty excuses for suspending your kid or putting them out of class. My daughter was recently suspended for reading a book that was written by someone and not doing nothing at all but sitting it down. But since they say "she should have handed it to the teacher," she got suspended and now can not graduate nor participate in any 8th grade trips. And my daughter has been here for 3 years now makes good grades and even gets the school known for HER hard work and they tell her she can not go to her graduate. It is insane.! Don't bring your kid here it will bring much trouble in your life. For this school to get better it would need better leadership specifically I would say the Dean Of Students. I have no respect for him at this point. I would say I like the few opportunities that run by the school and my child takes advantage of. Other than that...Don't go!

Posted April 15, 2014
My school is not as good as they say it is. I know that because I went there. The teachers don't have experience and they don't know what it is to teach. Not all of the teachers are like this but a lot of them are. The thing I liked about the school is that they give out free MacBook computers.

Posted March 18, 2014
It's not horrible. But it's not great. Yes, having a middle school on the campus of a university seems like a phenomenal concept. Some of our instructors are exemplary professors from the university; more often, I've seen teachers who seem to think yelling penetrates the brain more effectively than... teaching. Too many parents send their "problem" students here hoping for a miracle experience. Even in classrooms where teachers have established a proper structure, students themselves can be (and often are) the greatest hindrance to their learning. The most patient, knowledgeable, and experienced teachers simply can't compensate for a lack of home training--at least, not for an entire classroom. On the upside, the building is in the middle of repairs. Staff as a whole are extraordinarily dedicated to seeing students succeed... but again, their methods of communicating this can be questionable. Also, university students are employed to supplement the learning in the classroom; they are a great asset. Overall, this school has its room to improve; mainly in hiring experienced teachers (regardless of race?). However, parents could clearly do a better job preparing their kids.

Posted August 30, 2013
I had to remove my son From MS2 last year because the leadership was terrible. How can you go thru an entire school year without a Computer Science teacher? Dont inform the parents until late and call yourself a Tech school. I am vvery glad I changed schools. Hope they get better.

Howard University Middle School PCS 4

Posted August 29, 2013
I am very hopeful this school year. Now that we have are out from under 2 years of very poor leadership.I am very eager to get back on the right track and place the focus back on students.

Posted July 12, 2013
Howard MS2 is by far one of the best middle schools in DC. It is not overcrowed, under enrolled, or plagued with violence like most schools. Academical I believe you can recieve great results if you work hand in hand with your child and teachers. My son transfered from a lower performing7th grade to MS2. I was happy with the change. I noticed improvement in his subjects right away. With all that being said there are a few concerns I must express that I believe will make MS2 more successful. Timely communication from administration and some teachers need to addressed. The STEM technology that they talk so much about needs to truely become a more detailed part of the curriculm. My son was so excited to be a part of the robotics class, but loss interest after not being involved in any competitions, no acknowledgements, and the instructers being absent half of the year.

Howard University Middle School PCS 2

Posted July 11, 2013
This school was one of the best to work at with some of the best students in the area. However the administration, including the Executive Director are so worried about reputation, the students do not get the quality instruction or support that they need. Unless you are an honors student in which case the sky is the limit. the middle of the road or remedial student will not be served well at (MS)2. The building is falling apart and whenever it rains there are leaks and issues everywhere. The facility's air conditioning didn't work this past year for almost 3 weeks during almost 100 degree temps. Don't believe the hype about the technology, computers often aren't working and the school is in chaos. I hope that the school rebounds and becomes more hype than hope.

Howard University Middle School PCS 5

Posted June 03, 2013
I am a parent and I think the school live to all the hype. My child is in the 7th grade honors program and is doing wonderful. I am not aware of any of the fighting issues the person wrote about. My child is dropped off and picked up. I think a school is what you put into it. The teachers are great and the administrative staff is wonderful.

Find the great schools in Washington DC

Howard University Middle School PCS
405 Howard Place, NW, Washington, DC  20059
Last modified Howard University Middle School PCS is a Charter school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Howard University Middle School PCS Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 22 reviews. Top