Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)

Amount of homework: Agree

I think home work great . they need to work hard with students. I think some of teacher need need to be hired.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

I think the teacher don't care about the student. The Dean of students terrible....the teacher bully the the students.

Do Not sending your child to this school if you like your child to be bully by the teacher and complaining about your child all the time.... nothing good to said about your child.

I am the new head of school at Howard University Middle School of Mathematics and Science. I noticed that many of the negative reviews that have been posted were from last year when we had some internal difficulties. What happened last year was unfortunate. However, please understand, the commitment to delivering a quality education to every student has not changed. We have some of the most qualified teachers in the DMV, many of them award winning educators. Our curriculum is rigorous and students who leave us will have at least a transferable high school credit in Algebra 1 and could possibly have a credit in geometry as well. No school is perfect and we have addressed many of the concerns from last year. We continue to have the commitment of the Howard University community and are reestablishing the partnerships that made our STEM school one of the best in Washington DC. I hope that next year, I will be able to give us 5 stars as we continue to improve. At (MS)2 we expect our students to do something extraordinary every day!

PARENTS BEWARE!!!! Do not send your child to this school. This is my child's last year at this school and what a journey we have been through. If you want your child to get into a good high school this is not the place to start.

This was our child's first year and we are very disappointed. The administration didn't deliver any of the things that attracted us to enroll her. With the arrival and appointments of Dr. Blackmon, who arrived in August 2014 by January 2015 several key teachers were fired and incompetent substitute teachers were placed in classrooms to instruct our children. There are numerous problems faults not with the school, but with the administrative staff there is a high volume of turn over at this school, it was the potential to being an outstanding opportunity for our children that desire to pursue a career in the field of STEM and being on the campus of a HBCU in itself a benefit but with its current leadership it will not be the school of choice for our child next school term the only way we would consider returning next year is the REMOVAL of Dr. Blackmon, she's not the best choice for the school, the students or the HBCU college community.

I would not recommend that you send your child to this school. High staff turnover, administration does not seem to care about the students', teachers' and parents' concerns. As a Charter School, this school gets away with a lot of things like who they hire and how they treat staff, students and parents. This School retains lots of substitutes much longer than they should which is out of compliance with Special Education for those with 504 plans. Principal seems out of touch with teachers' and students' needs. Many supply shortages. No transparency at the School. Administration lacks honest communication with the students, teachers and parents. Professional development is lacking. Some students do not feel safe with some of the teachers. School has high percentage of African-American students yet the curriculum is insensitive to their needs. High suspension rate. Find and send your child to another school so you won't regret it too.

I am a 7th grader right now at Howard University Middle School. Last year was not the best but it was better than this year! This year, the whole entire social studies department resigned because they were written up for teaching black history. Although, I respect that they needed to leave because of the environment they were in but at the same time leaving is not changing anything! The sad part about this, is that they were not the only ones who left this year....... Multiple teachers have left this year, and whole lot of teachers from last year have left. As most of you guys know, we have been in many news articles, tweets, and talk shows in which we were protesting about what has been going on in school. We listed and stated are demands in the protest, and still have not heard anything from Dr.Blackmon and the schools administrators. If you are thinking about bringing your child to this school, think again! This most definitely should not be your first choice.

Prior to this principal (not a pal) firing the ENTIRE SOCIAL SCIENCE DEPARTMENT, apparently in a fit of anger... the PTA had told the administration that we were very unhappy about how the teachers were being treated, and that we wanted these teachers to stay . We told them we WANTED black history in our classrooms. What the hay??? Unresponsive to the parents to the point of flagrant disrespect....

Parents, don't be fooled!. Teachers looking to get hired here, beware! I was impressed from what I was told in the beginning. I thought I did my homework on researching this school. Parents told me in previous years the school was good. I'm finding out that this school is going downhill. Wish I'd known the problems before enrolling my child here. Often other parents ask my advice on schools for their children because I'm a school teacher in another school district, with over 15 years experience. The teachers are good at Howard MS2, and the ones my child had were effective & caring. However, the way the Principal talks to the parents and students is like we are all just ignorant and she does not take repsonsiblility for her actions even though they negatively impact the lives of students. She avoids telling the truth by repeating the same vague responses. Teachers are harassed to the point they'd rather "resign" and then administration just says "we didn't fire them". What an insult to the intelligence of ALL of us. My child has 3 substitute teachers teaching her everyday so how is this a free and appropriate public education.? Maybe a class action lawsuit is needed.

Last modified Howard University Middle School PCS is a Charter school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.