Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered School leader (2 responses)

Posted May 23, 2016
This school has a superior principal! And, Ms. Wright is the best vice principal ever! My son believes that the teachers are caring, supportive -- COOL! The school is neat, clean, and child-focused. This is a very good school for my son!

Grateful to: School leader

Posted May 23, 2016
I want to personally thank Assistant Principal Sharon Wright for her diligence, determination, and grit! Sharon is a role model, data expert, intervention specialist, and child-advocate. She cares about all of the students and spends 12 hours each day providing for them. Sharon enjoys collaborating with teachers and conferencing with parents. She is a finalist in the DC STARS competition! We love her and want to show our appreciation for all that she does for Potomac Prep.

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted December 21, 2015
Potomac Prep "pushes" students to be GREAT in everything they do. The principal and administrators recognize students daily. There are regular incentives, banners and displays, positive reminders, and a variety of other strategies used to promote persistence and grit! 4 stars!

Posted December 04, 2015
I'm a parent of Seven years at the school. Seeing the turn around from the past years I would tell everyone about the school. My two twin cousin are in Pre K4 and they are counting and identify sight words. My daughter is in Middle school and she is learning how to make apps and programming . The staff are wonderful .

Posted December 04, 2015
We believe in exposure to different things and at Potomac Prep this happens with regularity. This year we have evolved from an art-infused environment to one that is all inclusive. We are now a STEAM school and it's amazing what our scholars are learning.

Grateful to: School leader

Posted December 04, 2015
Thank you Dr. Whitehood for taking the mantle of being the agent of change for our children. It has been a true pleasure to serve and watch the transformation. We look forward to continued success under your leadership.

Develops respect: Neutral

Posted September 28, 2015
My daughter teacher gives out class work without explaining how to do it and gets an attitude when asked to do so. Ms Keys

Posted December 08, 2014
Potomac prep is the school you should consider for your children . its now under new leadership of people who actually care about teaching and motivating our kids to succeed now and into the future .the climate is warm nurturing and engaging .DR.WHITEHOOD and HER STAFF have put together a school model and structure thats helping them to achieve beyond just academics. its motivating our kids to becomes leaders .contact the school to allow you first hand to see for yourself that this school has and will set the standards for our future leaders

Posted December 08, 2014
After researching several schools, applying and receiving multiple offers, I declined all in acceptance for the opportunity to be under the leadership of Dr. White-Hood and to be a part of the turnaround at Potomac Preparatory. When professional development started in July, I knew that this was going to be a new school, new culture and new pride. Suspension rates are minimal, attendance has improved, parent involvement has increased and teacher commitment is at an all-time high. I fully believe in Dr. White-Hood and her vision for this school. I am also realistic in the fact that a turnaround is going to take time. From the previous condition of the school, full change is not going to happen overnight and we are asking for the time to make that change happen.

Potomac Preparatory PCS 4

Posted December 05, 2014
I have been a Pre-K teacher here since 2012. I can admit that Potomac Lighthouse PCS WAS a failing school. One thing that I am proud of and remains true today is that preschool/prekindergarten has been amazingly strong since implementation of our curriculum Every Child Ready in 2012. We ARE preparing scholars for academic excellence and success. We ARE strengthening our instruction and our data reflects that the growth of our scholars is impressive. I can wholeheartedly attest that Potomac Preparatory PCS is NOTHING like Potomac Lighthouse. We had a rebirth. Our current leader, Dr. Marian White-Hood has stepped in and stepped it up! In the short span of time from August until now, our school has become a REAL SCHOOL. We're on a road to success, our momentum is now, please do not block our progress. Allow us to grow, allow us to shine, allow us to change the world, one scholar at a time. It is saddening to read the earlier post from a current staff member, I do not know THEIR experience, but from MY experience, Potomac Preparatory is awesome; and if given the chance we will only get better!

4401 8th Street Northeast, Washington, DC  20017
Last modified Potomac Preparatory PCS is a Charter school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.