Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Not enough (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Effective (2 responses)

West Education Campus 5

Posted May 09, 2016
Great neighborhood school that is a true gem! My daughter is in kindergarten. She has flourished in both reading and math. In fact, she is now above grade level. Her teacher is very vested as well as the school community. There is also good parent involvement. I'm excited to see what lays ahead.

Posted March 04, 2016
This is definitely a rising school. The new principal (Vroman) is very engaged and enthusiastic. The school has created some new programs in aftercare for a fee (karate and yoga once a week). The culture of the school is very positive and the children are very respectful and kind to each other. It definitely feels like a family community and there's a lot of school spirit. The preschool classes are amazing and the teachers are so enthusiastic and well-trained. I'm very happy my child is there and it's great to be a part of the school and the neighborhood. There's still some work to do regarding renovation, and I'm not sure if the school will be academically challenging enough as we get to the higher grades, but for now it's great. I really hope to see the test scores of this school rise in a couple of years.

Develops empathy: Strongly disagree

Posted May 27, 2015
Again, teachers try to instill these qualities. However, it is undone by the work of administration.

Develops honesty: Disagree

Posted May 27, 2015
I believe that the teachers at this school try each and every day to instill these qualities into their students. However, the lack of support from administration frequently undermines their efforts.

West Education Campus 1

Posted May 27, 2015
Teachers are professionals and should be treated as such. However, in this environment that seldom occurs. Teachers are treated worse than the children. A good leader knows how to command respect and attention from the people their subordinates. However, the principal at this school does not fit the definition of a good leader. She yells at and demeans staff on a consistent basis creating an untenable work environment.

Teacher effectiveness: Effective

Posted May 27, 2015
The teachers at this school work extremely hard for their students. They will do anything for the students as long as it is in their power. They will buy food for children who are hungry, stay late to help students among a host of other things.

Amount of homework: Not enough

Posted May 27, 2015
There is not enough homework given at this school to properly ensure that students are learning.

Posted April 09, 2015
Overall, we're happy with the school. We had a couple of concerns going in that turned out to be no big deal. First, we were concerned about how the middle school grade kids would be around the early childhood kids. It turns out that they're almost never around each other because of the way the school is laid out. And when they are, the middle school kids are really great - like in mentor programs. Second, we were concerned about the "open classroom" layout, until we saw the school in action. The classrooms are set apart from each other, just not completely closed off. But the noise levels are fine, and don't seem to be a distraction from classes. I think any other issues we've had have been pretty routine, and the school has been good about working with us. I also get a great feeling from the other parents - it's a really nice / genuine vibe.

West Education Campus 3

Posted April 05, 2015
In terms of the good, aside from a few favorite teachers that have left over the years, I have had a positive experience with early childhood at West. I get the sense that most of the posters preceding me can echo this sentiment. The teachers and aides work hard, and the specials teachers are great. In the early years, I do appreciate the smaller community feeling. In terms of the bad: I think that the previous posts match many of the conclusions that I've come to when it comes to staff turnover. For 2013, the DCPS site says that only 3/4 of the school's "effective teachers remained, well below even the DCPS average. Add teachers in the developing range of the district's (imo flawed) rating system, and it's easy to believe that nearly half of the staff chose to leave. A look at West s site confirmed to me that this year saw new faces for PK3, K, 4, 5, 6, and 4/5 middle school teachers. The principal has enthusiasm, but I also know that leadership means inspiring and developing your team. While I really want West to succeed and grow, I can't ignore the fact that this reality troubles me as I consider my family's future with the school beyond the primary years.

Posted March 31, 2015
One of the things I love about West is that it IS a small school. Even though my son is in kindergarten, all of the teachers know him and interact with him. Principal Caruthers is incredibly energetic, and she sets a great tone for the school. We have a wonderful art teacher. And, our current PSCO leadership is doing great things for the school. West very much has a "family" feeling to it and that makes it a great place to be.

Find the great schools in Washington DC

1338 Farragut Street Northwest, Washington, DC  20011
Last modified West Education Campus is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.