Washington, DC

Posted March 29, 2015
West has been a great school for us. We strongly support the Principal and her strong vision and energy. Our child's teachers have been excellent the past three years. We love being able to walk to school and participate in after school activities easily. Our child is thriving there and we are friends with many parents and teachers. Support your local DC Public School- we have a while community working to make West the best it can be!

Posted March 28, 2015
Our Daughter has attended West for the last four years and I would definitely recommend others consider attending. All of her teachers have been excellent. She has attended the school's aftercare program and they have also helped her develop very well both socially and academically. The principal has vision and the competence to achieve it. The parents are supportive and engaged. I'm looking forward to our child continuing her success after the preparation she is getting here.

West Education Campus 1

Posted March 18, 2015
Do not send your child to West Education Campus. It is under resourced. What resources there are, the school is not maximizing because it is being run by a narcissist (Andria Caruthers) who is more interested in controlling every aspect of the school than maximizing the human capital which it employs. For starters, the school is tiny. If you want your child to learn social skills, do not send your student to the school. Each grade only has one or two teachers. The few specials teachers there are teaches every grade from pre-kindergarten to 8th grade. Teachers do not have colleagues to co-plan with so you know the instruction your getting with the new standards are bare bones since teachers are creating everything from scratch by themselves. There is no library. There are not enough special education teachers. There is 1 computer room which has computers from, seemingly, the 90's. There is no computer teacher. There is no music program. The SEM program is a joke with the SEM coordinator teaching remedial classes half the time. There aren't even any CLASSROOMS! Your child will learn in an open space. Go to this school if you are interested in a test prep factory.
2 people found this helpful

Posted May 29, 2014
We feel so fortunate to be part of the West community. Our son is currently in PK3 and is absolutely thriving. We adore his preschool teachers who have created a wonderful learning environment for his class. The class takes field trips, explores different themes through projects, books, art classes and fun family projects. We love the Principal and feel lucky that so many teachers throughout the school know my son--which adds to the family feeling. We definitely encourage other families to come to West, a best kept secret in DCPS!

Posted May 22, 2014
We chose West for our kids because it is a good learning environment for them - safe, and positive. The principal sets a great tone for the students and staff, and the teachers are wonderful. Our daughter is learning, making friends, and having fun at it too. The building style is a bit dated (hi 1970s), but that's pretty easy to look past. The Parents, Staff, and Community Organization has been very welcoming and seems to grow more each year. It has a very small-neighborhood feel, but without being exclusive of others. The school is diverse in many ways (you should see our potluck events... yum). While our kids are in their early years there, I have been volunteering with the later elementary and middle school ages to get a feel for how the children grow there. I look forward to many good years ahead.

West Education Campus 1

Posted May 20, 2014
Our son attended West in Pre-K but my husband and I quickly knew we'd have to make a move. We live very close to the school but the convenience was not enough to keep us there. West did help socialize our son but in many cases the experiences were negative. The foul language known and used by such young children is, to us, alarming. Bullying was a problem, too. We completed the one year but now have our son enrolled in an academically rich school that he loves. It is about a 30 min. commute, but worth it. Sorry, this neighborhood school does not deliver if you want strong academics and a positive social climate.
2 people found this helpful

West Education Campus 4

Posted May 20, 2014
Our experience at West has been great. As parents interested in a good learning and safe environment, we looked at the school prior to making a decision to move into the area. The teachers are attentive, caring, and vested in each child s day. The environment is one of learning and the neighborhood is quiet and safe. Teachers welcome parent support and communicate with us frequently (emails, texts and notes in our child s folder). There is a good group of parents who are interested in building and strengthening the school and improving what is already in place. Even as relative newcomers, they have been very welcoming and inclusive. The principal, Ms. Caruthers, and staff are clearly dedicated to ensuring West delivers a good experience. To the person that indicated that parent involvement was incredibly horrible I m not sure what meetings you were going to. Perhaps a meeting had a small group show up, but that isn t normal, and many more people are helping that don t make it to every meeting. To future and current parents of West, it is easy to volunteer and help out in any school, all you have to do is reach out and share what you are interested in taking on.

Posted May 19, 2014
I currently have two children at West EC and have been here since my son, now in 2nd grade, was in PK3. My daughter is currently in Kindergarten. We have been extremely happy at West and both of my children are thriving academically and socially. While we are excited about the recent and anticipated growth at West, it remains fairly small, meaning Ms. Caruthers (the principal) as well as most other staff, know all of the children by name as well as their parents. I know that my children are well cared for, safe, loved and are learning every day. Our parent association is very active and more and more parents are becoming involved every year. I would strongly encourage anyone to check out the school and consider it as an option.

Posted May 19, 2014
My daughter has been at West since PK-3 and is now in kindergarten. She has been thriving and we intend to keep her there for a long while. Like all kindergartners there, she is reading (and loves reading) and is doing well with adding and subtraction. I have been surprised at how rigorous kindergarten is. It is not easy for her. She had very positive experiences in PK, gaining more confidence and new academic and social skills. I recommended West to friends who tell me they are grateful that their child is there now. Also, as an active member of the Parent Staff Community Organization, I must refute the posting that says there are only 3-5 members. We have been growing in participants and activities during our time here. We have one activity per month on average--not possible with 3-5 members. More importantly, West is the second highest performing Education Campus in DCPS. West is a small and supportive school. I encourage you to check it out.

Posted May 19, 2014
West is a warm, welcoming and enriching community, with very active and engaged families. The teachers are deeply committed to supporting the academic and personal development of the students and Principal Carruthers has created an environment that is both academically rigorous and nurturing. My children are thriving at West, and we are so pleased to be supporting our neighborhood school. The student body is highly diverse (ethnically, racially, socioeconomically), but the community is integrated and welcoming to all. West is a GEM! Proud to be a West family.

Find the great schools in Washington DC

West Education Campus
1338 Farragut Street Northwest, Washington, DC  20011
Last modified West Education Campus is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
West Education Campus Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 22 reviews. Top