Public charter
Washington, DC
Before care: Yes

Posted October 09, 2013
My child has been a part of this school since pre-k 3, he is now in the 3rd grade. When he first started it was great and the teachers were great but after kindergarten it went all down hill. This school changes administration so much that you never know who is who anymore. This year I have had to address so many problems pertaining to the teachers and my child. They have been yelling at him, getting in his face, not allowing him to go to the bathroom, cursing at him, telling him to shut up, calling him stupid. The staff in this school is unequipped to deal with children and there are only a few teachers and staff members that I can actually say are good people. They switch principles every year so you never know who is in charge, they don't act concerned about your issues and the well being of your child and their main focus is testing. The only positive thing about this school is the curriculum. My child is learning a lot in this school and is very well advanced in some areas. They have a lot of work that needs to be done and they need to get better teachers who know how to communicate with the children and the parents. This will be my sons last year.

Posted August 02, 2013
The staff are very welcoming,everyone knows each other. The teachers love to teach. I like that they always send home notices about events and keeps the parent informed of whats going on weekly in a newsletter.

Posted July 18, 2012
my daughter has been going to this school since PK3, she will be entering Kindergarten this year. She is excited about going to school. Everyday she comes home and tells me what she has learned. I can see her advancement. The teachers are creative, energetic and keep the kids engaged. I don't know where the disconnect is, their state test scores for grade 3 and above are not the greatest. Definately need more community envolvement. We will hang in there.

Posted May 15, 2012
My son has been here for PreK3-K. We've been lucky to have the most competent, caring teachers who do a super job every day and manage to challenge the students. This despite those who bring their kids late (disruptive), don't complete homework, etc. My son has been in the aftercare program and they do homework for part of the time, then go outside or do free play inside. In the classrooms they group students by ability, and the ones who are advanced are receiving more challenging work. In K, my son is doing some 1st and 2nd grade work, so they definitely push the kids. A little too much homework sometimes (15-20 pgs/week), can't imagine doing this with 2 or more kids... Everyone knows each other at this school and my son has thrived. Great additional (at a cost) activities such as basketball, chess, Lego, gymnastics. Would love to see more parental involvement but there is a small group very dedicated. Also wish they would teach Spanish.

Posted November 25, 2011
All this school cares about are test scores and giving young children busy work. The young children that attend there are overstimulated which causes stress and dissatisfaction on them. Honestly this school is a poor excuse of an educational system. Mostly everyone that works there down to administration has an attitude problem. As another parent had pointed out, kids are not even taken outside for recess everyday even when weather permits. I worked at this school and let me just say I would recommended you keep your kids away. Now there are some excellent teachers but those are very few and limited. I've seen with my two eyes a teacher yell in a small child's face "shut up" and I've also seen her pull the child so hard that he fell to the ground on top of another child who was sleeping. I do agree with what the parents are saying about the principal because in my experience she was useless. I spoke to her about the issues I had in the school and there no action to help solve the conflict. She really could care less about her staff and apparently about the children as well. Good luck to her because she's gonna need it with some of the staff members she has working for her.

Posted August 24, 2011
Very unsatisfied! On the first day of school we were greeted by a rude staff member who greeted us with this statement "I need your proof of residency." Even another teacher was appalled by rudeness in her approach. After stayin with our son for about an hour, we followed the class to the playground. As we were leaving, to go the our car, we found our son later trying to follow us out the gate unsupervised! We came back a couple hours later to check on him and he was no where to be found!! The teachers began to argue with one another blaming each other on who had my son last. He apparently wondered off and was with another teacher. Too much for a two year old on a first day of school.

Posted June 25, 2010
This school should be converted back into the warehouse it once was, the administration is extremely incompetent. Very few 'highly qualified' and certified teachers are on staff. Not a good school.

Posted June 22, 2010
Thats your job . Any school your child attends is just supplementle to what you do at home , nothing can replace you as PARENT

Posted June 06, 2010
Hi Parents! Here is what I say: I am happy my daughter is happy. She comes home talking about all these things I know I've never exposed her too, and she has developed a larger than life personality. There are teachers there who are committed to making sure the kids at HOPE like change from the time they walk in. I love that she has a real grown up schedule, and that she has these best friends that i have to hear about everyday. They have a lot events and field trips--I wish I didnt have to pay for all of them, but it looks like the teachers and kids are having fun!

Posted June 06, 2010
My son has changed this year. I know horrible and so does he-we were there last year...BUT THIS SCHOOL IS what we both needed! I think everyone has their own experiences, but I dont know how it could be far from mine. I have been to six different events celebrating my son, I have had impromptu conversations with my son's principal, I have built a relationship in one year with many of the teachers just to be in tune with whats going on in the grades he is going to. There is always something going on-hes safe, hes learning, hes having fun...II will be returning and I hope good and involved parents join me! A solid 87% and I hope they climbed to an A next year!

Find the great schools in Washington DC

Hope Community PCS - Lamond
6200 Kansas Avenue Northeast, Washington, DC  20011
Last modified Hope Community PCS - Lamond is a Charter school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Hope Community PCS - Lamond Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 20 reviews. Top