Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Don't know (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Somewhat effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

Develops honesty: Neutral

Posted November 27, 2015
1st yr parent getting the feel of the place but I am vocal parent and it is understood what I expect for mine

Achievement Preparatory Academy PCS 4

Posted November 27, 2015
My child is in his 1st year at the middle school the teachers my child has dealings with understand that I expect just as much from them as they expect from me as a parent I have spoken on issues with the the Principal as well as support staff and all concerns have been addressed and corrected I came into the situation with an overstanding that children will get out of hand my child had a bullying incident that was handled right away I like what I see for the most part but I remember what most forget I am the employer and the staff are the employees

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted October 24, 2015
Ms. Humphries was a great teacher; I was sorry to learn that she left, because I know she made a great impact on my grandson excelling in reading.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted October 24, 2015
My grandson has homework every night and it can be challenging. Therefore, I feel it just enough to keep him thinking. More thinking and less tv.

Achievement Preparatory Academy PCS 4

Posted October 24, 2015
My grandson have attended this school for the last 2 years (kindergarten and 1st grade). He is learning and can read better than other children older than him. I was especially impressed when I picked him up one day and asked him what did he learn today and he said " I have 206 bones". Most adults do not know this. Keep up the good work achievement prep. In addition, I would like to add that the children do have gym and a play ground. Moreover, they are in the process of building a new campus. This new campus with have a state of the art playground.

Posted June 02, 2015
I taught at the Mississippi Avenue Elementary campus during the 2014-2015 school year. I would not recommend Achievement Prep to any parents seeking a school for their children or to any teachers seeking employment. The teaching/learning environment at this school is deplorable. Parents, beware, this is a place that is physically and emotionally unsafe for your child. Teachers, beware, students can hit you, kick you, scratch you, bite you, and curse you out on Monday morning then turn around and do it again on Tuesday. The level of physically dangerous and even violent behavior here is frightening, to say the least. The scholars with a desire to learn often complain of feeling sad, frustrated, and even angry because the outrageously unruly and disruptive behaviors of their classmates impede their learning. The teachers here work extremely hard and try their best, but they receive very little support from the administration. Morale and school spirit are low, yet stress and frustrations are high. The school leaders are young and inexperienced and lack the knowledge and ability to successfully operate a school east of the Anacostia River. The people that run this place should be ashamed of themselves for doing such a disservice to the scholars and their families. As an educator and a parent, I was absolutely disgusted with what I observed and experienced at this school. Our children deserve to be educated in a safe and friendly environment that is conducive to learning. Achievement Prep is not that.

Posted November 05, 2014
I will never understand how a school that does not have GYM, ART, MUSIC, FOREIGN LANGUAGE or a SUITABLE PLAYGROUND is considered a Tier 1 school. Bullying is accepted and there is a revolving door for staff to come and go. The school also advertised diversity when I originally applied, however it is 100% Black. One of my child's teachers gave my child a Thank You note with Misspelled words...WTHeck!!! My goodness, they don't even teach the students how to write in cursive to prepare for high school. This school is a nightmare that is even infested with ROACHES!!! WARNING: During state wide testing, the students get a whole week and a half of HALF-DAYS...they gave parents a WEEK notice! The expectations of the students are higher than STAFF expectations! I could go on and on...Just beware!!!

Achievement Preparatory Academy PCS 5

Posted July 04, 2014
APA is working to make a difference in a tough community. As a teacher there I am honored to be part of this school. Our goal is to close the achievement gap for our scholars. I have worked at 2 other charter schools before coming to APA and APA is by far setting the bar much, much higher. This is my second year there and this past year has been a rough year as the school grew and we had new leadership, but the school has responded and it does not take ways from the great things we do each day. APA is the real deal - we do what we say. That isn't always popular but it changes lives of our scholars. Our graduates attend some of the best schools in the city and a few are in boarding schools across the country. That is what great schools do. Is it always perfect - no. But no place is. I love the work we do and appreciate that a school like APA exists for our families.

Achievement Preparatory Academy PCS 2

Posted July 02, 2014
My child was there for two years and in the first year it was okay. I figured it was an adjustment period. SO the second year she went to sixth grade and it was the worst year ever. That zero tolerance policy for BULLYING is NULL AND VOID... My daughter was bullied and nothing was really done. Then because she had to defend herself she got suspended, but when the problem started the school did nothing to stop it. I will say the teachers that left I do miss them because they cared about my daughter. Some where let go because of nonsense. You can't hire people and think they are going to do a great job in the beginning. But that doesn't mean get rid of your staff that has already done a great job. The teachers don't communicate well with parents or each other, there is no real discipline, and since the principal moved from one school to the other the middle school kids are so disrespectful. I think they should try it again and this time bring in someone that knows how to discipline the kids in a respectful way but letting them know school is no joke at the same time. It can be done. It was done the first year my daughter was there.

Posted May 19, 2014
What they will try and say is that teachers that have left or are leaving don't care about the children. That could not be farther from the truth. After two years you see through all the smoke screens and start to realize that this place has a shiny exterior with stats and scores to make any teacher think it's better. Then you watch your colleagues suffer physically and emotionally- the resignations a regular activity and then those who are still there take the backlash. Turnover is "explained" away but the truth is that it's unhealthy, unstable and those in leadership have stated that they can make anyone a teacher in their model. If that's the case, find someone that doesn't mind low morale and lower pay with much longer hours. It's a shame for the students. They're missing those relationships that are critical at this age.

Find the great schools in Washington DC

1500 Mississippi Ave, SE, Washington, DC  20032
Last modified Achievement Preparatory Academy PCS is a Charter school that serves grades 4-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Achievement Preparatory Academy PCS Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 41 reviews. Top