Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

Handles bullying effectively: Neutral

I have not had experience with bullying so I'm not sure of the policy.

Supports LD students: Strongly agree

My child needed extra help, which was why I transferred her out of the school she had been attending, and where it was difficult to convince the principal to provide the help to which she was entitled. At Thomson, she was targeted immediately and given the help, and she reflected the improvement immediately.

Effective school leaders: Strongly agree

I see the principal almost every day I go in to the school. Her presence shows in the orderly nature of the school, the progress my child has made, and the general atmosphere.

Develops character: Strongly agree

The staff at this school, from the principal down, show respect to each and every student, parent, teacher and staff. They seem to care about every student, and reflect honesty and integrity.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

My child's teacher goes out 110% and my child's progress shows it.

Amount of homework: Strongly agree

The homework is "just right," not too much and not too little. It's targeted to what they are learning and you get good feedback on where the student is progressing or failing.

I love Thomson. I moved my daughter to this school from a highly sought-after PS in DC and couldn't be happier. In fewer than 6 months her reading skyrocketed and her math significantly improved. Thomson is serious about learning. The teachers and staff immediately focused in on my daughter's needs and provided her with tools to improve. I am so pleased with her progress. I wish they had some outdoor space, but this school is well worth it.

We have two children at Thomson currently and are very happy with the teachers, facilities, and curriculum. Thomson feels like a big family where everyone knows each other. The Principal is excellent and teachers seem to come back year after year.

We came to Thomson when our son was in kindergarten and he's now about to graduate from 5th grade. The first thing I want to acknowledge is teacher performance, which is wonderful. This year our child read Adventures of Tom Sawyer, Little Women, and To Kill a Mockingbird. The class is about to start Animal Farm! This accelerate list was all the doing of his fantastic, always thinking outside the box, teacher. Not every teacher has been this invested, but many of them are. There have been three principals during our time here (the strongest gone as a result of Rhee) and the current is young and in only her second year, but working hard. The kids (a veritable U.N.) are so lovely and kind. There is a center inside the school just for parents and a real emphasis on celebrating the different cultures that make up the unique school. We will miss being here.

Hopefully the new principal at Thomson ES will be strong, firm, and a good leader. You have a few parents at the school who wants to take control and dont value others opinion. At times I also felt that some of the parents and teachers were racist. Even some of the parents was racist. I just feel that the african american parents need to step up and stand up for their kids. if you look at great school catalof this year, Thomson students are on the cover. There is no african american kid in the picture selected. Who selected and submitted the picture? Did the parents get to vote on the picture? There is always the same kids publicized. It's bad when your 5 year old child tells you that certain teachers are racist . I decided to leave the school this year because of these issues. I

Last modified Thomson Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.