Posted May 20, 2014
We came to Thomson when our son was in kindergarten and he's now about to graduate from 5th grade. The first thing I want to acknowledge is teacher performance, which is wonderful. This year our child read Adventures of Tom Sawyer, Little Women, and To Kill a Mockingbird. The class is about to start Animal Farm! This accelerate list was all the doing of his fantastic, always thinking outside the box, teacher. Not every teacher has been this invested, but many of them are. There have been three principals during our time here (the strongest gone as a result of Rhee) and the current is young and in only her second year, but working hard. The kids (a veritable U.N.) are so lovely and kind. There is a center inside the school just for parents and a real emphasis on celebrating the different cultures that make up the unique school. We will miss being here.

Thomson Elementary School 3

Posted August 10, 2010
Hopefully the new principal at Thomson ES will be strong, firm, and a good leader. You have a few parents at the school who wants to take control and dont value others opinion. At times I also felt that some of the parents and teachers were racist. Even some of the parents was racist. I just feel that the african american parents need to step up and stand up for their kids. if you look at great school catalof this year, Thomson students are on the cover. There is no african american kid in the picture selected. Who selected and submitted the picture? Did the parents get to vote on the picture? There is always the same kids publicized. It's bad when your 5 year old child tells you that certain teachers are racist . I decided to leave the school this year because of these issues. I

Posted July 07, 2010
Thomson under Dr. Camp's leadership has been a wonderful experience for my family. My children have loved the Mandarin instruction, guitar lessons and the warm caring environment. I appreciate the IB program and the diversity of the teachers and students.

Thomson Elementary School 0

Posted March 04, 2010
We have been apart of Thomson since 2005 and there is a big change. 5 years ago I was very satisfied with the principal, curricalum, environment, and staff. Now that has changed. The principal isn't firm enough. I feel that the principal doesn't handle situations in a good way. She seems timid all the time. Last year 3rd and 4th grade children were unable to have recess. They could not talk during lunch. Ms. Greaves and Ms. Yamin are two of the best teachers that the school has. They prepare your kids for Jr. High. During the mornings, there is no where to park. There is no escort to make sure that kids are entering the building safe. The person who use to ensure that kids eneterd the building safe was terminated by Rhee for no reason. There is a parking lot but certain parents get to use it.

Thomson Elementary School 4

Posted September 26, 2009

Thomson Elementary School 0

Posted July 08, 2009
Thomson is a very good school. My child has learned the chinese language. Thomson has the IB Program and many elementary schools do not have the IB Program. Thomson is now the School of the Art. Kids get a variety of learning and art programs at the school.

Thomson Elementary School 4

Posted November 14, 2008

Posted August 28, 2007
We have been in the Thomson family for 4 years now and without an inch of reluctance I can truly say that I am proud of Thomson Elementary School! Both my daughters have received an enriched education in a very diverse environment exposing them to all cultures. Dr. Camp has ensured that tutors are available when needed, provided teaching of the Chinese language, and has also gone out of her way to offer other extra curricular activities such as personally teaching the children how to play the acoustic guitar. Well done, Dr. Camp & Thomson!

Find the great schools in Washington Dc

Thomson Elementary School
1200 L Street Northwest, Washington, DC  20005
Last modified Thomson Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Thomson Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 8 reviews.