Excel Academy PCS

Charter | PK-5 | 630 students

We're DC's first public, all-girls school.

Sweep tile

Posted April 2, 2014

My daughter has been attending Excel since 2008. The school is great academically however if you want your child to be bullied and physically hit on, on a daily basis then this is not the school for you. It seems as if you have to go to the top in order for changes to happen or you have threaten to go to the media. Some teachers speak down to you as if you are not on their level. The employees there just have an attitude as if they never want to be at work. I can ONLY name 2 that are pleasant with every interaction! 2 out of how many? There are too many teachers, good ones, that are leaving or have left because they do not get along with the clicks. The last principal was not good for the job and really she should be gone period. They have this person and that person that supposedly discipline the girls, but they can't all seem to be on the same page. Lack of communication is the best way to describe it. There are other schools around that you would not have to go thru all of this nonsense. Concerned parent looking for another school!

Posted February 25, 2014

My daughter has been a scholar since she was 4 years of age, she has learned so much from this school not just academics but how to share and care for others, also the teachers and staff always greet the families and scholars with a smile and provide safety and education for the girls.

Posted February 12, 2014

My daughter has attended Excel Academy for 3 years and I highly recommend this school. The school is located in a low income part of DC; however, they expect nothing but greatness from their students. My daughter is in the 1st grade and she is reading, writing and doing simple math on her own. The teachers are dedicated and will keep you inform daily. I read one review about the old Principal at the school. Everyone has their opinion, and I will admit she was probably not the best person for that position. She is not a people person, sometimes she will speak to you and sometimes she won't. However, to her defense, she is dedicated to ensuring that every single girl at EXCEL academy excel. The school has hired a new Principal; however, the old Principal still works there, but in a different capacity. Everything is not for everybody. In conclusion, EXCEL is a wonderful all girl school, and I would recommend this school to others.

Posted February 5, 2014

My 2 daughters have attended Excel Academy for the past 5 years. They are now in the 2nd and 5th grade. I am very pleased with the staff and the quality of education they have received. The teachers have always been very supportive and responsive to me with any issues or concerns I may have. I have had minor concerns as I believe I would at any school. My concerns are small and dealing with things such as ample time to eat during breakfast and more time to allow the parents to get to school before being late. However, the rigorous academic program and high expectations and standards of not only the students but the parents is great! My personal opinion is that many of us are use to just getting by and Excel is trying to break that chain with our girls by expecting much of them and helping them reach their goals and make it to college! I support excel 100% and am willing to go through the minor ups and downs with the school and staff! I think they are amazing!

Posted January 29, 2014

Wow, I am writing to bring light on a key point. There was 1 bad review written about this school, and since that 1 bad review posted, 10 positive reviews appeared. 6 of which were posted on the exact same day. Who did this school pay to try to get their rating increased? Parents before you send your child anywhere to attend school, you should always read both positive and negative reviews, paying closer attention to the negative ones because your child could be that "one" exception to the rules. It's not always what the positive or negative reviews say, it's how the administration staff handles the situations, and Excel Academy does not handle negativity well. Best advice as a parent is to take a day, two, or three and just show up unexpected and see what this all girl s school really has to offer your daughter. As with everything, there are always good and bad experiences, but parents always have to consider how to react and respond when it's their child on the end of negativity, which happens quite often at Excel Academy. The teacher/student turnover ratios are very high at this charter school. Find out why! Let those numbers and your visual observation speak for itself!

Posted January 14, 2014

I have been working at Excel Academy for a number of years. The school has grown a great deal in such a short time. All of the teachers that I have had the pleasure to work with have truly cared for all the girls and wanted them to do nothing but succeed and grow. I love working at Excel and love the community and all of the amazing young girls I have gotten to teach over the years. I would recommend the school to any parent with young girls. It is one of the best choices in the community for girls.

Posted January 6, 2014

We Love Excel!!! My daughter has been attending Excel for almost 2 years and she is getting the best education a 4 year could recieve she is reading, writing, counting,singing. WE LOVE EXCEL!!!!!!! They are on top of the GAME!!!

Posted January 6, 2014

My children have been with Excel since thy opened up and we have no plans to leave. Through the years my children have performed above grade level as a result of their rigorous curriculum and interactive teaching.

Posted January 6, 2014

Excel is an AWESOME school I recommend this school to most parent with girls. I love the fact that my daughter is learning so much.

Posted January 6, 2014

Excel Academy is a great school for girls! The teachers are involved in the girls progress and achievements. The curriculum is very rigorous, engaging and fun. The teachers work on building a bridge between home and school. I like Excel Academy because it operates like a private school but its free. My girls love their school.

Posted January 6, 2014

I think that this is an excellent school in a location that needs positive role models for the you girls. I love how involved the teachers and staff are with these girls, and they care about them and their families. My daughter has been here for 3 years, and her reading surprises me every day. It gets to the point where she's reading her homework to me, and is very excited about what she is learning and looks forward to going to school. I'm so proud that I put her in this school!!!

Posted January 6, 2014

My daughter is one of the very first girls who attended Excel in 2007 and she is now in the 4th grade. I have been so pleased with Excel as school. The teachers and staff are excellent. They have always been in contact with me concerning my daughters development. I have been an active parent and very involved in field trips, meetings and anything the school has allowed me to. Lastly, I am so proud to see that the school is growing yearly and we love the after school programs.. YayI!! Excel...

Posted January 2, 2014

I have been teaching at Excel Academy for a number of years and truly enjoy working with our fantastic scholars. They are intelligent, creative, and joyful girls, and we work hard to foster an environment of learning and sisterhood that will help them achieve great things in school and in their futures.

Posted December 30, 2013

As a teacher at Excel Academy I highly recommend the school community to anyone seeking employment or an academic environment for their daughter. The teachers and administrative staff at Excel hold scholars to high academic standards, specifically in reading, writing, and mathematics. The vision ultimately centers on the idea that all girls are essential and meaningful contributors to society; and that all girls are capable of graduating from college and maintaining optimistic and positive characters. It is guaranteed that your daughter will feel valued and she will be given the social, academic, and behavioral resources needed to make her successful in the classroom and school. As an employee at Excel Academy I value my relationships with my colleagues and the staff because they continuously support my professional growth and instruction as a teacher. If you believe that through hard work, determination, and support, girls are capable of achieving their dreams and life goals; Excel is the place for you.

Posted December 30, 2013

Excel Academy is committed to preparing all of our scholars with the academic and social skills needed to lead successful, productive, and enriched lives . Our goal is that all of our scholars will be equipped with the skills that they need to transition successfully into high performing high schools and beyond to stellar performances at colleges and universities. We also instill in our scholars a strong belief in sisterhood and that "together we rise." Our entire learning community is dedicated and committed to ensuring the success of every scholar and works tirelessly to ensure that every scholar grows at every academic level and in all areas of social skills. Are we perfect? No. Do we have challenges? Sure. But what sets Excel Academy apart is our 100% commitment to and focus on every individual scholars' needs. We also embrace the belief that our girls need exposure to places, people, and environments beyond their immediate scope which is why Excel Academy provides rich learning opportunities with several outside groups. Our scholars will become productive citizens with a strong sense of community and a belief that a great education is the right of all of our children.

Posted December 16, 2013

If you do not want your daughter to be bullied, beaten, or stabbed by other students, this is not the school for her. Education wise, yes, Excel is a great choice, but the students that attend this school are TOO rough around the edges and they are border-line bullies! The quality of the teaching staff has gone down over the last 3 years and there is very high turnover. The teachers are not equipped to deal with the "probelm kids" that come out of this "problem/bad" area and in many of the classrooms, there are about 5 unruly kids that "run" the classrooms. My daughter will be exiting as soon as I can find her another school. I would not recommend any parents to send their daughters to this school. They have a "lot' of growing to do before they live up to the 9 out of 10 great schools rating. They get zero out of 5 stars in my opinion.

Posted August 22, 2013

Excel Academy has exceeded my expectations. The teachers are very passionate about teaching. The teachers are very patient and communicate well with the parents. This is my daughters first year at Excel Academy and she s in pre K and I'm excited for what s to come. I like the fact that each level has there own principal.

Posted August 15, 2013

Excel Academy is truly in a league of its own. The leadership team and teachers are deeply committed to high academic standards and providing scholars with rich experiences and background knowledge to enhance their understanding of the world. By the end of first grade, my students were able to their create own powerpoint presentations, participate in research writing, read chapter books, begin the early stages of multiplication, and publish their own stories. I am inspired by how intentional the leaders are in every interaction with the scholars, from choosing the most rigorous curriculums available to organizing activities and trips for the girls to get involved and become leaders in their community. For example this past year our 4th graders sang at an inaugural ball celebrating President Obama, and our campus participated in the development and maintenance of a community garden. Walking through the halls of Excel Academy you can feel the dedication and urgency of the teachers and scholars. The mission of Excel is educate, empower, excel, and that is precisely what drives our teachers, scholars and staff to succeed academically and serve the Greater DC community.

Posted August 12, 2013

Wonderful school academically. My daughter has attended Excel Academy since Preschool. She is doing tremendously well. Love the school!

Posted August 7, 2013

I am the mother of two students who have been attending Excel since they were 3. They are now 6 & 7. I wouldnt change their educational start here for anything. The teachers and staff are exceptional! Both my girls have been reading since they were 3 and my youngest continues to exceed every end year goal before the end of the year. My oldest struggles a bit more but the teachers are sure to place here in numerous extra groups and she maintains a 2.98-3.0 each quarter! Yes the school does focus a lot on academics which in my case is great in this day and age, I feel children can play at home. We havent had a problem with bullying. Another great point..after all the surrounding Anacostia schools Excel scored the highest in Cas scores!!!! My only down side is the lack of Parental involvement!!!. I make it a point to stay involved in all school wide activities... Outside of that Excel Rocks!!!!!!!

Math

The state average for Math was 43% in 2013.

51 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 44% in 2013.

51 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Washington, D.C. used the District of Columbia Comprehensive Assessment System (DC-CAS) to test students in reading and math in grades 3 through 8 and 10, science in grades 5, 8, and 10, and composition in grades 4, 7, and 10. The DC-CAS is a standards-based testing program, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the District of Columbia. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 52% in 2013.

Writing

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 54% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 43% in 2011.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 44% in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 35% in 2011.

All Students55%

Economically disadvantagedn/a

Black, non-Hispanicn/a
Economically disadvantagedn/a

Source: Office of the State Superintendent of Education

In 2012-2013, this school was designated "Rising".

The DC school classification system includes multiple measures to evaluate performance and student growth. The possible classifications, from highest to lowest, are Reward, Rising, Developing, Focus and Priority. These measures include the DC CAS, annual growth, graduation rates, attendance rates and participation rates. Under the system, required under the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA), each school is given a School Index Score based on the performance of its students. Schools receive different levels of support, resources, flexibility and monitoring based on their classification.

Source: Office of the State Superintendent of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

The graphs below compare this school's results in each area to other schools in the city.

Test score rating 20131What's this?

Test score rating examines how students at this school performed on standardized tests in the District of Columbia. Test scores are based on 2012-13 DC CAS results.

This school
City

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
City

1 This rating is based on 2012-13 DC CAS results from the DC Office of the State Superintendent of Education (OSSE).

2 This rating is based on 2012-13 Median Growth Percentiles in math and reading from the DC Office of the State Superintendent of Education (OSSE).

Two or more races N/A 57%

General-Education students 88%N/AN/A
Not limited English proficient 88%N/AN/A
Source: DCPS, 2009-2010

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Reading specialist(s)
Security personnel
School social worker/counselors(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Arabic languages
German
Spanish
Tagalog
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Specific learning disabilities
Extra learning resources offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• Choir / Chorus

Language learning

Foreign languages taught
  • Latin
  • None offered at this time.
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered

• Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
Clubs
  • Girls on the run

School start time
  • 7:45 am
School end time
  • 3:45 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Lela Johnson
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • All girls
Special schedule
  • Extended/longer school day
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (202) 373-0477

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Core knowledge
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• None
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered
Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Specific learning disabilities
Foreign languages taught
  • Latin
  • None offered at this time.
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered

• Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Security personnel
  • Tagalog
Extra learning resources offered
  • Counseling
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
  • Tutoring
  • Gym
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room
  • Playground
Partnerships with local resources and organizations

Sports

• Choir / Chorus
Performing arts
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Girl scouts
  • Girls on the run

Photos

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
School colors
  • Navy Blue and Yellow and White
School mascot
  • Peregrine Falcon

Apply now

What are your chances?

3 out of 10students were accepted for the 2013-2014 school year.

Students accepted for the 2013-2014 school year
160
Applications received for the 2013-2014 school year
464

2501 Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue, SE
Washington, DC 20020

Septima Clark PCS
Washington, DC

Choosing a school in Washington, D.C.?

Planning a visit?

Download the school visit checklist

Download

Navigate the system in
Washington, D.C.

Read how to navigate the
local process »