Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered School leader (1 response)

Washington Latin PCS - Upper School
Grateful to: School leader

Posted May 29, 2016
Mrs. Cutts, has done everything for Latin to have the best reputation it possibly has, and after the gym is being built we're able to have more ability to play sports and with more cheerful teachers, we're able to learn more. Of course, without her, we wouldn't have amazing international students coming to our school and showing us a bit of how their culture is.

Posted May 29, 2016
I've been here ever since 5th grade and rising junior at the moment. I've never been more happy with how my learning has increased and the great opportunities that I've been given here, internships over the summer, scholarships, opportunities to compete in debates against schools. These opportunities are amazing. The classical education is extremely strong in this school and teachers are always there to give you support in struggling classes. The teachers are always supportive and will always be at your side and will never let you suffer alone, especially with grades. it's an amazing school!

Washington Latin PCS - Upper School 1

Posted December 03, 2014
How can this school have a community rating of five? There are parents and children excluded from attending this school. There are children attending this school that don't reside in this community.

Washington Latin PCS - Upper School 3

Posted October 22, 2014
Washington Latin has definitely made a lasting impression on my overall academic career, both in negative and positive ways. The community is close-knit and tight, which was both good and bad. The emphasis on classical education is a strong one; however, it often pushed other equally interesting and important subjects out of the way. Many of the teachers legitimately care about teaching kids and do so with passion. There are also teachers that demonstrate a low interest in their job and care very little about their subject. The leaders of the school have many good intentions, but also show nepotistic bias in terms of employment.

Posted April 10, 2014
Washington Latin has been a home to our son for three years. The administration is committed to meeting every student's needs, which, for him, means challenging him beyond grade level. We're grateful that his teachers have always been smart and passionate educators who quite obviously love teaching -- they respect his intellect, and appreciate his quirky personality. If you are hoping to raise a confident, curious, and engaged citizen of the world, Latin is the school for you. Children blossom at Latin, and it's getting stronger every year.

Posted November 19, 2013
This is my son's first year at Latin, he is in the 6th grade. He loves it and so do I. Overall, my son has shown great achievement and progress in his subjects. He will be there until the 12th grade for sure!

Posted September 29, 2013
This is my son first year at Washington Latin and I'm very pleased with the school and the teachers.

Posted September 23, 2013
I m a supporter of Washington Latin Public Charter School because it s providing a strong academic curriculum that is also interesting. As I tell people, I wish I could attend Washington Latin. The wish started six years ago when I attended a Washington Latin open house hosted by the Head of School Martha Cutts. The evening opened with Ms. Cutts vision for the school. But what was most impressive, as a long-time student of ancient Greek and Roman philosophy and history, was the short talk by a Civics teacher who related the college senior thesis she wrote on Virgil s Aeneid. I was out of my mind with excitement! As I told my wife later that evening, I wanted to enroll. That feeling has never changed. What makes Washington Latin special is the leadership of Martha Cutts and the dynamic, enthusiastic teachers. The new Washington Latin facility, a formerly empty D.C. Public School, is icing on the cake. I want to expand on the subject of Ms. Cutts leadership. Besides setting the school s tone, she is an accomplished fundraiser and advocate. She has forged bonds with business leaders and D.C. Councilmembers.

Posted September 23, 2013
My daughter is in her second year at Washington Latin and has thrived both years. She has had fantastic teachers, who have excited her about social studies, science, reading, math and Latin. She has a relatively lot of homework, but has learned to manage her time well. The social setting has been very good for her, too. The administration is excellent, and parent involvement high. We could not be happier.

Posted September 23, 2013
This is my child's third year at Latin and I am very pleased. The head of school promised the "No child would fall through the cracks" and I believe this is true. The teachers are focused on each individual student. My child has been engaged in topics that we would never have predicted -- such as geography, civics and the study of ancient civilizations. I am very impressed with the sense of community the school has developed and the depth of learning that goes on. I wish the school offered Spanish, but since this is my only real complaint about the academics, I feel very lucky. My husband and I often say that we feel like we won the lottery the day my child got into Latin. It is a wonderful place to learn and develop as a person and a student.

Find the great schools in Washington DC

Washington Latin PCS - Upper School
5200 2nd Street, NW, Washington, DC  20011
Last modified Washington Latin PCS - Upper School is a Charter school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.