Washington Yu Ying PCS

Charter | PK-5 | 513 students

We are best known for our Chinese immersion model and IB curriculum.

Sweep tile

Posted October 25, 2013

I am the proud parent of two Washington Yu Ying students. I couldn't be happier with the school. The teachers are engaged and passionate, the administration is communicative and innovative and the school community is friendly and diverse. I also feel there is a great collaboration between teachers/administration and parents. IB program allows kids the develop into well-rounded children. Washinton Yu Ying is also a Green Ribbon school! They organize fuel- free commute to school regularly (which takes a lot to coordinate since kids come from all over the city). Finally, the after-care school program is excellent, offering variety of quality classes, such as music, sports, photography, creative writing. Overall, I would highly recommend this school to anyone in Washington.

Posted October 24, 2013

My daughter has been attending this school for, four years the teachers have been so supportive and helpful to my daughter and me. The school does such a great job with trying to assist students who may need extra help. WME

Posted September 16, 2013

We really like Yu Ying, the dynamic staff and diverse student body. My daughter started in PreK 2 yrs ago and is speaking Chinese w/other native speaking children. She loves going to school---especially when the school is decorated during the chinese new year & the kids learn about chinese culture, eat dumplings and moon cookies. She loves the nature center, garden, tree swing, the chicken coop (they had for a couple of months) and can be found after school playing on the awesome playground. We like the healthy food choices (no candy or sugary snacks), the streamlined morning drop off process, the REEF after school programs offerings (which have gotten better over time), the student led conferences (where students present to the parents what they have been learning), the parent portal w/teachers' blogs and the responsiveness of staff. I am always impressed when I see the head of school/principal greeting students in the morning. Our only concern has been ensuring that our daughter is challenged in the classroom since she is above level.The teachers have been willing to think creatively about this and work w/ us during the parent conferences but its always a concern.

Posted August 13, 2013

We have been at Yu Ying for 2 years with our oldest, and our 2nd is starting PreK-4 soon. Overall, the school is great. In fact, we can't move outside of DC because we don't know where to find a better school for the kiddos. How to improve: most of the teachers are young and relatively inexperienced. This is common in charters, but seems exacerbated among the Chinese staff. We had a problem with multiple Chinese teachers during the school year, which was worrisome to parents. The administration handled it well, holding a parent meeting, and laid out a strategy to prevent this problem in the future. In response to other reviews: 1) Yes, the parent association's listserv is intense / annoying, but you don't have to subscribe to stay involved. The school connects with parents regularly through email / parent web site. 2) I think the school runs the risk of inducing fundraising fatigue at times. But the only "mandatory" giving is a 1-time fee of $100/student for school supplies (saving you from buying them yourself), all other giving is optional. We generally don't use aftercare and pack our kids' lunches, but on the occasions we've used these services, the fee is appropriate.

Posted March 11, 2013

Yu Ying has been a wonderful experience for us. My daughter (PreK4) comes in every day singing new songs and sharing new words. She loves learning Mandarin, and the full-immersion experience has been so much fun. I was initially concerned that a public school would not offer enough of an academic challenge to a very bright, high-scoring child, but the second language really has me sold. I am so happy about everything: teachers, language, facility, student cohort, families/community - it's hard to believe a school like this is free.

Posted October 28, 2012

Couldn't be happier with the school. Son (who is in the PK4) was in DCPS last year and difference is stark. He's engaged and is learning Mandarin at a rapid pace. Communication with the teacher, facility, after-care offerings, and environment are all awesome. REEF (the after-care program) can be pricey but is worth it when you consider the quality of classes and instruction. Principal is accessible and hands on. I can see my kid staying here until 8th grade.

Posted August 27, 2012

In reponse to the parent on August 23rd. I have no idea where you have been sending your child I find many of the things that the poster on August 22nd stated to be true. However, I do believe that the administration and teachers want the children to excel, I believe that they arent aware of how to effectively implement policy in a way that provides guidance but desnt alientate its parents. They have a tough time with being friendly and receive a low low score in this area. Additionally, the school is suffering from low test scores, because they simply dont do enough to help the children. And anything that is added or offered is always at a ost. This is a very money hungry school and it shows through their cost for After-School Care, their penalty for late-pick-ups, their costs for School Supplies, Cost for PTA fees... The list goes on.. Parents dont want to participate becasue they know that Yu Ying is always trying to make a dollar.. Good School, Great potential.. Administration needs to be gutted..

Posted August 23, 2012

In response to the post from a parent on 8/22. Clearly our kids are in different schools. I love that the administrators and others kids are part of the school. It shows they are vested. I'm surprised that someone told you not to drop in to meet with the teachers or administration. I drop in regularly and my sons teachers have my cell phone number to call me anytime. The school is not perfect. I think some of the teachers are less experienced then I might prefer. The test scores need to improve. The email list can be viscous - I think this is more about who we've become as people then the school. (Checkout some other parenting email lists and you'll see what I mean.)

Posted August 22, 2012

Did the administration write all of these reviews because this doesn't appear to be the same school that my son attends. First, the administration is not accessible. You have to send emails (as the preferred communication) and can never just walk in and simply meet with and talk to the administration or your child's teacher. Second, the parents are absolutely, certifiable crazy! I have never met a group of obnoxious people. They use a parent portal to communicate. If you post a comment on the portal and a parent doesn't agree with it, you will be attacked, threatened and/or bullied. Third, the administration and parents have "clicks" and favorites. If you are not part of one, you are ostracized. Fourth, all of the administration's kids attend the school and they can do no wrong. However, if your child sneezes to loud, he is written up for disturbing others. Fifth, the principal's mother works the front desk. Sixth, when you need special accommodations for your child, the school's response is "this may not be the best school for your child." Last, they beg for money ALL the time and charge you for everything. Word of advice, don't believe all the bells and whistles.

Posted May 7, 2012

This is a great school. Everything other reviewers have said is true. I am a parent and objectively, even-though it is fantastic academically, I must be candid with the fact that, if you are a parent of moderate income (between $40,000 and $60,000) you will need to budget about $600-800 dollars per month per child if you want to send your children to YuYing and take full advantage of the before care, after care program, with the additional fees. I love this school, but, as a working single parent, I probably will not be able to afford to send more than one child here. One of the costs that is a burden is the late fee structure. Any late pickups after ten occurrences is $20 dollars per minute. It is easy to be late if you don't have a car and have to take the bus/metro from work. If you are a rich parent or a really poor parent it may not be such an issue.

Posted November 30, 2011

This is a GREAT school. From the moment I walked into the wonderful new facility and started to meet the professional and dedicated teaching and administrative staff any hesitation in sending my Pre-K daughter to Washington Yu Ying faded away. I was astonished that by the end of the 3rd DAY my daughter was singing rhymes in Chinese! As usual I have a lot of catching up to do, just to keep up with her! My daughter also participates in the terrific R.E.E.F. aftercare program. On most days we do not get home until about 6pm. While this is a very long day for a young kid, she comes home HAPPY and full of stories about her day. I must echo a comment from a review from last year, I can hardly believe this is a public school!

Posted March 16, 2011

We have been with this school since it opened 3 years ago. We simply love the school and the diverse student body. It is amazing seeing such a diverse student body being immersed in Chinese. The curriculm can be difficult especially for a non-speaking Chinese parent trying to support a child learning Chinese. However, the school does offer resources to help. I love how the student led conferences and the communication with the teachers. They have a parent portal for parents to see what the children are doing as well as a strong parent group or (PTA) group. This school is truly a viable option instead of private schools and we do have some students that were taken out of private school to attend this school. I am so proud of the growth and development that my child has made while being at this school.

Posted January 7, 2011

Wonderful, amazing school!!! Everyone who works there is incredibly dedicated to kids, families, and the model. Immersion is tough---this isn't a school for kids who need every day instruction in English reading, writing, or math!!

Posted January 7, 2011

My son is in prek 4 at Yu Ying. I was hesitant to enroll him due to his late birthday (he just made the cutoff and I was thinking he was too young to be in school all day) but I'm so happy that I did. The prek teachers allow the kids to be kids while engaging them in academics through multiple modalities. He comes home with a smile on his face each day. The teachers incorporate art, music, motion, experiements, and fun ways to teach them to learn. In addition they are very supportive and caring to the little ones. Chinese can be intimidating to new students but the teachers are aware and supportive. In addition the adminstration is awesome. The principal is easily accessible, the staff very friendly and the overall atmosphere is super positive. I highly recommend Yu Ying if you want your child to have rigor and fun at the same time.

Posted November 29, 2010

In two years as a Yu Ying parent, I have been very impressed with the high quality of teaching instruction and curriculum implementation. The teachers communicate often with parents, and they effectively integrate parent involvement. The administration and leadership is also exceptional, and they have met every challenge I have seen with creativity, flexibility, and good results. We don't have a special family background to help our son with his Chinese language acquisition, but the school nonetheless has him learning and speaking with confidence and fluency. Meanwhile, we are happy with his development in areas we are better able to judge (English, math, etc.) The IB/PYP curriculum is great, and the school is a special place.

Posted November 29, 2010

This is my daughter's 3rd year at Yu Ying, and I have nothing but good things to say abut the school. I love the diversity of the student body as well as the PYP/IB curriculum, which allows the students to delve into a subject and really take ownership of their learning. The fact that they will be fluent in Chinese by the end of 8th grade is a bonus to an already strong curriculum.

Posted November 19, 2010

This is our son's second year at Yu Ying - it's a terrific school! Also, I'm excited about the plan to follow the IB primary years program - it is excellent. Overall, the school is extremely well run.

Posted November 18, 2010

The school staff and parents are fantastic. The opportunity to study in a IB program with both English and Chinese is priceless!! I think Washington Yu Ying is one of DC's best kept secrets.

Posted November 18, 2010

I can hardly believe this is a public school! The opportunity to learn fluent Chinese in the heart of Washington DC feels too good to be true. Both the Chinese and the English teachers are wonderful. This our third year and we love it. A bonus is the wonderful sense of community - there's such a diversity of family backgrounds that we're happy to be part of. It feels a little like a small town to know all the children who your child will be friends with all the way through school!

Posted November 18, 2010

We love Washington Yu Ying! We like that the school employs differentiated learning after first grade, that there is a special ed teacher in every English classroom and the fabulous PYP curriculum. We especially like that our children are becoming bilingual. Native Chinese speakers are always very impressed by the amount of Chinese that my children know. Our children are excited to tell us about what unit of inquiry they are working on. The school is well managed and the staff is warm and caring. The only drawback is that it is not in my neighborhood. :)

Math

The state average for Math was 43% in 2013.

53 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 44% in 2013.

53 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Washington, D.C. used the District of Columbia Comprehensive Assessment System (DC-CAS) to test students in reading and math in grades 3 through 8 and 10, science in grades 5, 8, and 10, and composition in grades 4, 7, and 10. The DC-CAS is a standards-based testing program, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the District of Columbia. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 52% in 2013.

Writing

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 54% in 2013.

Science

23 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 43% in 2011.

35 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 44% in 2011.

35 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 35% in 2011.

All Students74%

All Studentsn/a

All Studentsn/a

All Students78%

Source: Office of the State Superintendent of Education

In 2012-2013, this school was designated "Rising".

The DC school classification system includes multiple measures to evaluate performance and student growth. The possible classifications, from highest to lowest, are Reward, Rising, Developing, Focus and Priority. These measures include the DC CAS, annual growth, graduation rates, attendance rates and participation rates. Under the system, required under the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA), each school is given a School Index Score based on the performance of its students. Schools receive different levels of support, resources, flexibility and monitoring based on their classification.

Source: Office of the State Superintendent of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Above average

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

The graphs below compare this school's results in each area to other schools in the city.

Test score rating 20131What's this?

Test score rating examines how students at this school performed on standardized tests in the District of Columbia. Test scores are based on 2012-13 DC CAS results.

This school
City

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
City

1 This rating is based on 2012-13 DC CAS results from the DC Office of the State Superintendent of Education (OSSE).

2 This rating is based on 2012-13 Median Growth Percentiles in math and reading from the DC Office of the State Superintendent of Education (OSSE).

Asian 9% N/A

Limited English proficient 98%N/AN/A
Not limited English proficient 95%N/AN/A
Source: DCPS, 2009-2010

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Special education coordinator
Nurse(s)
Reading specialist(s)
PE instructor(s)
Music teacher(s)
Gardening teacher(s)
ELL/ESL Coordinator
Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Chinese (Cantonese)
Chinese (Mandarin)
French
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Department of Education "Green Ribbon School" Award (2013)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
Extra learning resources offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Outdoor learning lab

Health & athletics

• Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Garden/Greenhouse
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Cooking club
  • Girls on the run
  • Yoga club

Gifted & talented

Instructional and/or curriculum models used
  • International Baccalaureate (IB)

School start time
  • 8:30am
School end time
  • 3:30pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Before school: starts at 7:30 a.m.
  • Maquita Alexander
Best ways for parents to contact the school
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 4 years old
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (202) 635-1960

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Chinese Immersion
  • International Baccalaureate (IB)
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• None
  • Art room
  • Internet access
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Outdoor learning lab

• Drama
Media arts
  • None

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Arts and crafts

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school

Apply now

What are your chances?

1 out of 10students were accepted for the 2013-2014 school year.

Students accepted for the 2013-2014 school year
Applications received for the 2013-2014 school year
894

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
District of Columbia International School

220 Taylor Street, NE
Washington, DC 20017
Phone: (202) 635-1950

Potomac Lighthouse PCS
Washington, DC

Mamie D. Lee School
Washington, DC

Choosing a school in Washington, D.C.?

Planning a visit?

Download the school visit checklist

Download

Navigate the system in
Washington, D.C.

Read how to navigate the
local process »