Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

Handles bullying effectively: Strongly disagree

Crazy stuff happens and this recently graduated teachers, don't have a clue. "Work it out" is what my child has shared an adult teacher responded with.

Supports LD students: Strongly disagree

I know too many parents struggling with LD students and feeling all alone.

Effective school leaders: Neutral

They get things done when it comes to new projects, but they miss the mark in developing students with integrity and the leaders of the future.

Develops character: Neutral

I would not give the school that credit. They are okay.

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

Some are and some are not. Luck of the draw.

I have been a Yu Ying parent for 6 years and have two children in the school. I have long held out promise for the school's benefit to my children, but still I find myself up at 12 am the night before the lottery closes praying for better options. The issues from my perspective are Staff and Administration arrogance (not teachable), cliques, a bent to support and focus on the exceptional children (that boost their esteem), while marginalizing children who need more work, lack of awareness and engagement on bullying, lack of sensitivity to parents who are from various economic backgrounds, employing ill-equipped teachers, and in general overselling and under delivering. Bullying and Arrogant Educators-It's late and I am clearly tired, but I will say this. I have seen atrocious things happen to my kids at this school and no one noticed until it was too late and when it was all over they held a united front, did not apologize or change much to prevent a recurrence. Ill-equipped teachers--My kids have been placed into special academic booster groups for what is clearly a lack of experience by new teachers. Lack of Sensitivity for People of varied economic background-this is not a place from a person who cannot take off work on a Friday half day (imagine the perks on that job). If you can't take off ($50 per kid per day)... This is real. Overselling and under deliverying-I can't blame them (right?) who would not say "WER'E NUMBER ONE!!" And tell all the parents to vote that way. But these parents (myself included) largely pay $25 per hour and up for tutors, have nannies and o'pairs, or pay nearly $1000 a month for after care (which I admit is very cool,... but the cost). All in all, I give Yu Ying and average to bad rating, because the parents pad the truth with their money and their mouths. I am just tired of being quiet about it.

Our son was lucky enough to be accepted into one of the first PK-3s. We could not be happier that he got into Yu Ying!! He is very interested in Chinese (already) and in less than an year of full immersion he is able to make full sentences to reply to his teacher. The administration is very professional and all the staff is friendly. The teachers are very caring and my son never looked back (to daycare); he really wants to go to school every day and even watches Chinese shows at home. The environment is nurturing with 2 playgrounds, a wooded area and many activities revolving around everyday's life (cooking, picking vegetables, learning about insects etc). We made the right choice and we are grateful to be part of the Yu Ying family!

Washington Yu-Ying started out as a great school. it had an engaged staff and great administrators and a principal that the children loved. However a change in key administration and many teachers and staff moving on to other pursuits has caused a deep void in the school. i have never seen a public school that costs so much. The reduced fees for participation in the after school program are still expensive. In addition, in my personal case, my child is more proficient in Chinese than English. In addition, their are clicks or special groups at the school and all children are not afforded the opportunity to participate in all activities. In addition, bullying is a serious problem. Teachers do nothing when children tell them they are being bullied and the child being attacked is often the one suspended when defending themselves. Some of the Chinese teachers are very abrasive. The attitude and the lack of support from administration to help children keep their hands to themselves is crazy. In addition, the children of the staff are treated very different than other children. This school has no idea of how to control children and other children suffer because of it.

I am the proud parent of two Washington Yu Ying students. I couldn't be happier with the school. The teachers are engaged and passionate, the administration is communicative and innovative and the school community is friendly and diverse. I also feel there is a great collaboration between teachers/administration and parents. IB program allows kids the develop into well-rounded children. Washinton Yu Ying is also a Green Ribbon school! They organize fuel- free commute to school regularly (which takes a lot to coordinate since kids come from all over the city). Finally, the after-care school program is excellent, offering variety of quality classes, such as music, sports, photography, creative writing. Overall, I would highly recommend this school to anyone in Washington.

My daughter has been attending this school for, four years the teachers have been so supportive and helpful to my daughter and me. The school does such a great job with trying to assist students who may need extra help. WME

Last modified Washington Yu Ying PCS is a Charter school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.