Washington Yu Ying PCS 1

Posted May 22, 2014
Washington Yu-Ying started out as a great school. it had an engaged staff and great administrators and a principal that the children loved. However a change in key administration and many teachers and staff moving on to other pursuits has caused a deep void in the school. i have never seen a public school that costs so much. The reduced fees for participation in the after school program are still expensive. In addition, in my personal case, my child is more proficient in Chinese than English. In addition, their are clicks or special groups at the school and all children are not afforded the opportunity to participate in all activities. In addition, bullying is a serious problem. Teachers do nothing when children tell them they are being bullied and the child being attacked is often the one suspended when defending themselves. Some of the Chinese teachers are very abrasive. The attitude and the lack of support from administration to help children keep their hands to themselves is crazy. In addition, the children of the staff are treated very different than other children. This school has no idea of how to control children and other children suffer because of it.

Posted October 25, 2013
I am the proud parent of two Washington Yu Ying students. I couldn't be happier with the school. The teachers are engaged and passionate, the administration is communicative and innovative and the school community is friendly and diverse. I also feel there is a great collaboration between teachers/administration and parents. IB program allows kids the develop into well-rounded children. Washinton Yu Ying is also a Green Ribbon school! They organize fuel- free commute to school regularly (which takes a lot to coordinate since kids come from all over the city). Finally, the after-care school program is excellent, offering variety of quality classes, such as music, sports, photography, creative writing. Overall, I would highly recommend this school to anyone in Washington.

Posted October 24, 2013
My daughter has been attending this school for, four years the teachers have been so supportive and helpful to my daughter and me. The school does such a great job with trying to assist students who may need extra help. WME

Posted September 16, 2013
We really like Yu Ying, the dynamic staff and diverse student body. My daughter started in PreK 2 yrs ago and is speaking Chinese w/other native speaking children. She loves going to school---especially when the school is decorated during the chinese new year & the kids learn about chinese culture, eat dumplings and moon cookies. She loves the nature center, garden, tree swing, the chicken coop (they had for a couple of months) and can be found after school playing on the awesome playground. We like the healthy food choices (no candy or sugary snacks), the streamlined morning drop off process, the REEF after school programs offerings (which have gotten better over time), the student led conferences (where students present to the parents what they have been learning), the parent portal w/teachers' blogs and the responsiveness of staff. I am always impressed when I see the head of school/principal greeting students in the morning. Our only concern has been ensuring that our daughter is challenged in the classroom since she is above level.The teachers have been willing to think creatively about this and work w/ us during the parent conferences but its always a concern.

Posted August 13, 2013
We have been at Yu Ying for 2 years with our oldest, and our 2nd is starting PreK-4 soon. Overall, the school is great. In fact, we can't move outside of DC because we don't know where to find a better school for the kiddos. How to improve: most of the teachers are young and relatively inexperienced. This is common in charters, but seems exacerbated among the Chinese staff. We had a problem with multiple Chinese teachers during the school year, which was worrisome to parents. The administration handled it well, holding a parent meeting, and laid out a strategy to prevent this problem in the future. In response to other reviews: 1) Yes, the parent association's listserv is intense / annoying, but you don't have to subscribe to stay involved. The school connects with parents regularly through email / parent web site. 2) I think the school runs the risk of inducing fundraising fatigue at times. But the only "mandatory" giving is a 1-time fee of $100/student for school supplies (saving you from buying them yourself), all other giving is optional. We generally don't use aftercare and pack our kids' lunches, but on the occasions we've used these services, the fee is appropriate.

Posted March 11, 2013
Yu Ying has been a wonderful experience for us. My daughter (PreK4) comes in every day singing new songs and sharing new words. She loves learning Mandarin, and the full-immersion experience has been so much fun. I was initially concerned that a public school would not offer enough of an academic challenge to a very bright, high-scoring child, but the second language really has me sold. I am so happy about everything: teachers, language, facility, student cohort, families/community - it's hard to believe a school like this is free.

Posted October 28, 2012
Couldn't be happier with the school. Son (who is in the PK4) was in DCPS last year and difference is stark. He's engaged and is learning Mandarin at a rapid pace. Communication with the teacher, facility, after-care offerings, and environment are all awesome. REEF (the after-care program) can be pricey but is worth it when you consider the quality of classes and instruction. Principal is accessible and hands on. I can see my kid staying here until 8th grade.

Washington Yu Ying PCS 2

Posted August 27, 2012
In reponse to the parent on August 23rd. I have no idea where you have been sending your child I find many of the things that the poster on August 22nd stated to be true. However, I do believe that the administration and teachers want the children to excel, I believe that they arent aware of how to effectively implement policy in a way that provides guidance but desnt alientate its parents. They have a tough time with being friendly and receive a low low score in this area. Additionally, the school is suffering from low test scores, because they simply dont do enough to help the children. And anything that is added or offered is always at a ost. This is a very money hungry school and it shows through their cost for After-School Care, their penalty for late-pick-ups, their costs for School Supplies, Cost for PTA fees... The list goes on.. Parents dont want to participate becasue they know that Yu Ying is always trying to make a dollar.. Good School, Great potential.. Administration needs to be gutted..

Washington Yu Ying PCS 4

Posted August 23, 2012
In response to the post from a parent on 8/22. Clearly our kids are in different schools. I love that the administrators and others kids are part of the school. It shows they are vested. I'm surprised that someone told you not to drop in to meet with the teachers or administration. I drop in regularly and my sons teachers have my cell phone number to call me anytime. The school is not perfect. I think some of the teachers are less experienced then I might prefer. The test scores need to improve. The email list can be viscous - I think this is more about who we've become as people then the school. (Checkout some other parenting email lists and you'll see what I mean.)

Washington Yu Ying PCS 1

Posted August 22, 2012
Did the administration write all of these reviews because this doesn't appear to be the same school that my son attends. First, the administration is not accessible. You have to send emails (as the preferred communication) and can never just walk in and simply meet with and talk to the administration or your child's teacher. Second, the parents are absolutely, certifiable crazy! I have never met a group of obnoxious people. They use a parent portal to communicate. If you post a comment on the portal and a parent doesn't agree with it, you will be attacked, threatened and/or bullied. Third, the administration and parents have "clicks" and favorites. If you are not part of one, you are ostracized. Fourth, all of the administration's kids attend the school and they can do no wrong. However, if your child sneezes to loud, he is written up for disturbing others. Fifth, the principal's mother works the front desk. Sixth, when you need special accommodations for your child, the school's response is "this may not be the best school for your child." Last, they beg for money ALL the time and charge you for everything. Word of advice, don't believe all the bells and whistles.

Find the great schools in Washington Dc

Washington Yu Ying PCS
220 Taylor Street, NE, Washington, DC  20017
(202) 635-1950
Last modified Washington Yu Ying PCS is a Charter school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Washington Yu Ying PCS Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 23 reviews.