Anacostia High School 4

Posted April 18, 2014
My son is a current student at The Academies at Anacostia. We had our trepidations about attending Anacostia, but no more. He enjoys going to school everyday. He has nothing but good things to say about Dr Roberts, Mr Comfero, Ms Quick, many other staff members and students. We see big things going on at The Academies at Anacostia.

Anacostia High School 4

Posted December 06, 2013
I'm a recent graduate of Anacostia (2012), I went on to study at Virginia Commonwealth University's School of Social Work (Ranked #11 in the nation, #4 in VA) with a minor in Political Science. I attended Anacostia my entire high school career and it has a huge impact on who I am today. I am not alone, I can account for many of my peers, older and younger, who've went on to go college and actually stay. The parents and disloyal alumni below no nothing about the new Anacostia, its staff, and our principal. The staff helped me through hard times they were not there just as academic support but also emotional support and I am not alone. They deal everyday with students who come to school uninterested in learning. Students who main focus are being known even if it means havoc. These same individuals were my friends. 1) Before you judge the school look at your child, they're not that angel you want to believe they are 2) go meet the staff get involved, don't take for truth everything you see on the news and hear around town. Alumni kick rocks, you left and never came back, you know nothing of the new Anacostia, its staff, or its students. I'm proud Indian There is so much more to say.

Anacostia High School 2

Posted October 03, 2013
I enrolled my child in this school and its a Month later and I will be enrolling het OUT!First I would like to say that thr school has been fixed up nice. It actually looked nice and clean in there. The Teachers do try to teach my child have nothing but good things to say about herTeachers. The students totally disrespect the teachers. Kids bring in Mace and gods know what's else. Its always a fight or police (a lot) after school. I reallly wanted to like the school and have my child attend but I fear for her safety in this school and coming out of this school. I don't know what can be done maybe they could get police to walk around school all day(its a mad house).

Posted February 15, 2013
I am an an alumnus of AHS class of 1965. Our school was one of the best academic High Schools in Washington. We had National Merit winners, Westington House Scholars, service academy appointees, many college scholarship winners. I was in the honors track and received a scholarship for my BA and MA. I also have a doctorate. Many of my classmates are professionals and have achieved much in life. I am so saddened by the decline and failure of my beloved alma mater. I am the Senior Fellow for Ethics and Public Policy for the National Clergy Council, Washingtom, D. C.

Posted February 06, 2013
i hate this school they need to get shut down because of poor behavior and loud running up and doen the steps its so nasty spit on the walls bugs every were

Posted August 21, 2012
THIS SCHOOL IS AWFUL I WENT TODAY TO WITHDRAWAL MY SON WITH A FRIEND AND HE WAS ATTACKED MY THE PRINCIPAL FOR NOTHING SCHOOL HASNT EVEN STARTED AND THIS MAN WHOS NAME I DONT EVEN KNOW DONT WANT TO KNOW WANTS MY CHILD TO STAY THERE,I DONT THINK SO WITH A PRINCIPAL ACTING LIKE THAT I DONT WANT HIM AROUND MY CHILD OR ANYONE ELSES. O AND LET ME NOT FORGET HE PULLED OUT SOME TEETH GUARDS OUT OF HIS POCKETS AND TOLD MY FRIEND HE'LL BEAT HIS A_ _! REAL LOUD OUTSIDE OF THE SCHOOL O YES HE FOLLOWED US, ALL THIS BECAUSE I WANTED TO WITHDRAWL MY SON SMH SAD.

Anacostia High School 3

Posted September 14, 2011
I have had three children in Anacostia, two of which have graduated. The third is a bit of a challenge. Unless your child is pretty compliant and can always go with the flow they will be ok. But if they have any behavorial difficulties or learning styles that do not go along with the cookie cutter program this may not be the school for your child. I think that our children should be given more options when it comes to the way they learn and not just get swept under the rug or put out if they have issues. And...considering every child will not attend college, offer at least 1 or 2 vocations in the school. Maybe, that's too much to ask with all the budget cuts. There's gotta be a solution to help our children.

Posted February 13, 2010
Applying the new with the old, make no sense to for this school structure. Eliminate and reprogram some of the structure within the school, we lead to an successful overcome. But sending a brand new person as a principal who does not acknowledge the culture within the school, make it very difficult for him to do his job, but also make it difficult for the kids at this school to comprehend the message he is trying to bring across. Anacostia needs to start at the begining which is the head, get someone who willing to deal with the kids show some type of compassion and trying to understand some of the following kids background. Eighty percent of the students of Anacostia comes from unique background and they need a staff who is qualified to deal with the most unusally circumstances. Not getting rid of them, but show them a better way.

Posted October 13, 2009

Anacostia High School 0

Posted May 17, 2009
This place is like a prison. Excuse me, prisons have less guards.

Find the great schools in Washington DC

Anacostia High School
1601 16th St. SE, Washington, DC  20020
Last modified Anacostia High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 1 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Anacostia High School Rating: 2 out of 5 based on 16 reviews. Top