School principal icon 130x130 072214

School Official Point of View

Richard Wright PCS prides itself on the following Charter Board Validated PMF Data: Teacher Retention Rate SY11-12 - 100% Teacher Retention Rate SY12-13 - 92% Student Attendance Rate SY11-12 - 91.8% Student Attendance Rate SY12-13 - 92.3%
February 5, 2014

Posted May 15, 2014
This school is AWFUL!!!! The teachers and staff curse at the students as if they are on the street. The staff is rude with the parents and act as if your wasting their time. I would not recommend this school at all to anyone. If you want your child to be and your self to be disrespected then by all means let them attend Richard Wright. The schools have been open for three years and each year it has gotten worse. They also have told the 11th grade students that if they miss three more days of school they will be held back. They also said if they are late they can't come in the building it won't matter if they have a note or a parent calls in advance, if they not there by 8:20 their not getting in the building. In my opinion that isn't fair because most of the kids take metro and busses run late and so do the trains. Even if a parent drops their child off it can be traffic and your five minutes late they won't be let in and will be marked absent. Richard Wright is one if not the worst public charter school in the district. DONT send your child here at all.

Posted February 05, 2014
MY child loves RWPCS. I have seen a complete turnaround in less then 5 months with my child's confidence in self. She is in the 10th grade and loves her classes, teachers and students. She tells me of a few students who have caused problems for other students wanting to cause disturbances and that the Deans are always ready to stand up for the students who want to learn. I applaud RWPCS for making my daughter feel like she is first and that she can get the work done. Any student who doesn't want to be there and causes problems for students like my daughter who want to learn need to go some where else.

Richard Wright PCS 2

Posted January 21, 2014
My child was cursed out by administration. I am unhappy about the amount of teacher turnover. 3 years over 20 teachers have left. I took my child out.

Posted December 29, 2013
My experience with Richard Wright has been outstanding! To find an Administrative Team that works so hard to ensure the students are developed academically and socially is so rare. The building and the classrooms are clean, the teachers work hard to educate the kids often giving up their time after school to work with kids, and they have created a family environment. My son experienced difficulty in coming to school and performing I. The classroom at his last school. Thanks to the MEN on staff at RW, my son doesn't miss school and he has no F's on his report card. I love RW and I love what they are doing to restore hope for children and their families.

Posted November 07, 2013
As a parent, I find the administration at Richard Wright to be very forthcoming and quick to respond. Its not a prefect school but any school is only as great as its parent participation. I feel comfortable voicing my opinion and offering a solution to the school. The staff and teachers are trying to help develop responsible young men and women and with parental involvement everyone can be successful. Keep up the good work Dr. Clark and staff

Posted October 10, 2013
The school is AWFUL. Administrators CURSE at children. There is definite favortism of students. The instruction is lacking, there are NOT enough textbooks to go around. And the Journalism part is a JOKE!. Most kids just hang out. DO NOT SEND YOUR CHILDREN.

Posted October 03, 2013
. This is the worst public charter school I have ever attended in my whole entire life. First off I would like to state that the students are very loud and rowdy. The students yell every curse word in the book in the middle of class and the teachers let it slide as if that's the way you talk in school. The teachers curse at the student and talk to them as if they are there peers. The school is very unorganized, the dismissal times are off. They are meant to dismiss at 4;30 but they dismiss at all times they want. Over all, I do not recommend this school at all.

Posted July 18, 2013
This on the worst charter schools in my opinion in dc. The staff are very rude and snobby. The students, teachers, and staff members work together as if they are all on the same level. In other words the staff members are more like the children friends rather than a guidance. My experience with this school was horrific. Plenty of the parents have removed their children due to lack of communication and organization. I'd have to give this school a thumbs down.

Posted June 19, 2013
I have never had such a negative experience with a school. Their dismissal times are erratic and they do not keep their staff contact information up to date OR the school calendar!! This is such an extreme issue that their last day of school has even changed and when mentioned to them that it was not updated on their website they simply said, I know. Really!? The staff told the students on a Tuesday that this would be their last day of school. When I called the school to ask them, they confirmed that Thursday was still the last day. When I took my child to school the next day they were repeatedly told by staff that they didn't need to be there- what type of message are you sending these kids?? The students have been dismissed at 11:00 on a day when they are not supposed to be let out until noon, and when I called the school they confirmed to me that dismissal was in fact at noon. The students have also been kept after the dismissal time, to the point that I had to call and speak to a few different people before they would dismiss my child. I have called and emailed teachers and admin and do not expect communication. Such a disappointment for what could be a great school.

Richard Wright PCS 5

Posted March 31, 2013
Richard Wright is a new school, but the staff and the teachers are not. There is a difference that I can see and feel in the children and the school as a whole from the first year which was still far above the years my daughter spent in other schools. The school is not perfect, but they feel parent feedback is critical. I can speak to any teacher or staff member I need to and get results and resolution. Parents may not understand all of the rules and policies at first, but it is because they are used to the same old things at former schools. In my experience the same old ways are failing our children. Richard Wright shows students how decency and order can transform their lives in and out the classroom. Students get a structure that is conducive to the level and intensity of the learning that is required for real success. Classes are longer and work is often tied to other classes that help build on critical concepts. Additionally, the students have excellent field trips and school social events. The have toured the newsrooms of some of the most watched news studios. The students make professional videos and movies, write articles, ans a newsletter.

Find the great schools in Washington Dc

Richard Wright PCS
770 M Street SE, Washington, DC  20003
Last modified Richard Wright PCS is a Charter school that serves grades 8-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Richard Wright PCS Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 14 reviews.