Public charter
Washington, DC
After care: No
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Richard Wright PCS prides itself on the following Charter Board Validated PMF Data: Teacher Retention Rate SY11-12 - 100% Teacher Retention Rate SY12-13 - 92% Student Attendance Rate SY11-12 - 91.8% Student Attendance Rate SY12-13 - 92.3%
February 5, 2014

Posted October 27, 2014
My godchild attends this school. It has been a wonderful experience for him so far. The staff appears caring and they are serious about his education-homework every night. But more importantly he has found a place that excites him about coming to school and his grades and attitude are improving so much. This school is great!

Posted October 26, 2014
Richard Wright Public Charter school is a school that educates and nurtures its students. What impressed me about this school beyond its academics and the exposure to the White House for its journalism students is the home visits in the community. I don't know any school whose staff including the Principal show up in the students' neighborhoods on a bus and knocked on doors to check on their students. That is a school that truly cares about its students beyond the classroom. My child is thriving both in his education and emotionally as a teenager. I love this school and highly recommend it for anyone who believes in education and the well-being of their child.

Posted October 25, 2014
I have notice a very positive change in my nephew during his tenure at Richard Wright. His thirst of knowledge about Journalism and Video Production is quite impressive, in addition to his enthusiasm about attending college and pursuing a career in that field. I think the special interest that some instructors have taken towards him has contributed to this because he never talked much about school in the past. We are happy that he s enrolled at a school where he looks forward to attending and we don t have to worry about him skipping school and being on the streets. Sparking interest in my nephew is not a easy task but I commend Richard Wrights staff for doing that for him.

Posted October 25, 2014
Richard Wright PCS has made a big difference in my child's education. I am a parent who removed my child from another school district with hopes to see a difference in my child academically and socially and Richard Wright has helped me see that change. My daughter loves the teachers and and staff. They have gone to the White House already this year! As a parent they are supportive and focused on making sure my child gets a good education. You walk in the school and the walls are bright and the halls are quiet! Great job Richard Wright on making sure my child and others get the quality education they deserve!

Posted August 06, 2014
Richard Wright believes in A's and B's , anyone can make C's and D's! I love this School!

Richard Wright PCS 1

Posted May 15, 2014
This school is AWFUL!!!! The teachers and staff curse at the students as if they are on the street. The staff is rude with the parents and act as if your wasting their time. I would not recommend this school at all to anyone. If you want your child to be and your self to be disrespected then by all means let them attend Richard Wright. The schools have been open for three years and each year it has gotten worse. They also have told the 11th grade students that if they miss three more days of school they will be held back. They also said if they are late they can't come in the building it won't matter if they have a note or a parent calls in advance, if they not there by 8:20 their not getting in the building. In my opinion that isn't fair because most of the kids take metro and busses run late and so do the trains. Even if a parent drops their child off it can be traffic and your five minutes late they won't be let in and will be marked absent. Richard Wright is one if not the worst public charter school in the district. DONT send your child here at all.

Posted February 05, 2014
MY child loves RWPCS. I have seen a complete turnaround in less then 5 months with my child's confidence in self. She is in the 10th grade and loves her classes, teachers and students. She tells me of a few students who have caused problems for other students wanting to cause disturbances and that the Deans are always ready to stand up for the students who want to learn. I applaud RWPCS for making my daughter feel like she is first and that she can get the work done. Any student who doesn't want to be there and causes problems for students like my daughter who want to learn need to go some where else.

Richard Wright PCS 2

Posted January 21, 2014
My child was cursed out by administration. I am unhappy about the amount of teacher turnover. 3 years over 20 teachers have left. I took my child out.

Posted December 29, 2013
My experience with Richard Wright has been outstanding! To find an Administrative Team that works so hard to ensure the students are developed academically and socially is so rare. The building and the classrooms are clean, the teachers work hard to educate the kids often giving up their time after school to work with kids, and they have created a family environment. My son experienced difficulty in coming to school and performing I. The classroom at his last school. Thanks to the MEN on staff at RW, my son doesn't miss school and he has no F's on his report card. I love RW and I love what they are doing to restore hope for children and their families.

Posted November 07, 2013
As a parent, I find the administration at Richard Wright to be very forthcoming and quick to respond. Its not a prefect school but any school is only as great as its parent participation. I feel comfortable voicing my opinion and offering a solution to the school. The staff and teachers are trying to help develop responsible young men and women and with parental involvement everyone can be successful. Keep up the good work Dr. Clark and staff

Find the great schools in Washington DC

Richard Wright PCS
770 M Street SE, Washington, DC  20003
Last modified Richard Wright PCS is a Charter school that serves grades 8-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Richard Wright PCS Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 19 reviews. Top